Author Topic: Pretty much done with dealership - may have found a good Indie Shop  (Read 37945 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Pretty much done with dealership - may have found a good Indie Shop
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 11:06:10 am »
got a call from the shop...fronts are fine, have about 50% on them still...rears need replacing...gave him the go ahead...$300 plus tax.

i've noticed my Rio5 needs an alignment (slight pull to the left)...might swing by tomorrow and get that done along with a coolant flush...dealer wanted $100 each...this shop charges $60 each...i'm beginning to really like these guys.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2019, 04:23:05 pm »
got a call from the shop...fronts are fine, have about 50% on them still...rears need replacing...gave him the go ahead...$300 plus tax.

i've noticed my Rio5 needs an alignment (slight pull to the left)...might swing by tomorrow and get that done along with a coolant flush...dealer wanted $100 each...this shop charges $60 each...i'm beginning to really like these guys.

That's great, sounds like you will be saving quite a bit. Now you will no longer be the dealership's cash cow.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:03:22 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2019, 04:28:45 pm »
No, we are just trying to tell you that you got royally hosed and any new shop should be charging more than about 5-600 for a car like that Rio. Which I still don't get why you wouldn't do at home for the next to nothing cost or effort....to each his own I guess.
i realize it was too expensive, hence this thread.  ::)

i can't do it myself...i lack the tools and equipment to do it, plus i have a ruined back, so wrenching on my car is not an option.

This is what children are for.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2019, 06:51:10 pm »
picked up the Sorento after work...everything as discussed.

for those curious, here is the breakdown of the bill:

rear rotors: $140
brake pads: $80
labour: $80
total: $300 plus tax

seems pretty fair to me...i thanked them for their honesty...i asked about the coolant flush and alignment for my Rio5...he asked if i was having issues with heat...i said no...he said don't waste the money on the flush...i left the Rio5 there...they will do the alignment in the morning, then call me and i can swing by tomorrow to pick it up...$60...i'm already loving these guys...just real down to earth honest people...such a rarity in that field these days.

just want to say thanks to everyone in here who always talks about independent mechanics...had it not been for all that, i may have never even thought about exploring that option...it just saved me $900.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 06:54:51 pm »
Finding a new mechanic is like finding a new barber.  You always feel like you're going out on a limb.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 07:47:41 pm »
picked up the Sorento after work...everything as discussed.

for those curious, here is the breakdown of the bill:

rear rotors: $140
brake pads: $80
labour: $80
total: $300 plus tax

seems pretty fair to me...i thanked them for their honesty...i asked about the coolant flush and alignment for my Rio5...he asked if i was having issues with heat...i said no...he said don't waste the money on the flush...i left the Rio5 there...they will do the alignment in the morning, then call me and i can swing by tomorrow to pick it up...$60...i'm already loving these guys...just real down to earth honest people...such a rarity in that field these days.

just want to say thanks to everyone in here who always talks about independent mechanics...had it not been for all that, i may have never even thought about exploring that option...it just saved me $900.

This in London? Wanna PM me the mechanic? My dad needs a backup one for his 3 vehicles.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:33 pm »
Labour cost seems very reasonable. What did they use for parts? OEM or aftermarket?  You may have mentioned it before but too lazy to scroll through the posts.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2019, 08:53:54 pm »

Good on you for listening to good advice!

Glad the money stayed in your wallet!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2019, 11:42:34 pm »
My MDX's brake pads and rotors (wagners) in all four corners cost $797 all in at an indie.  I thought it wasn't too bad at the time and I guess I didn't do too bad.

My new indie in my new town is pretty good in that he only fixes what's really needed.  Only downside is that he's so busy all the time that it takes a while to get an appointment.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2019, 08:15:19 am »

Good on you for listening to good advice!

Glad the money stayed in your wallet!

Can't overstate the importance of finding a good indie. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2019, 10:01:10 am »
This in London? Wanna PM me the mechanic? My dad needs a backup one for his 3 vehicles.
yes, Hyde Park Motors (Hyde Park and Gainsborough)...NW London (not sure what area your dad is in)...i've heard a few solid recommendations from friends/colleagues before going there and am impressed with the honesty.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2019, 10:03:20 am »
Labour cost seems very reasonable. What did they use for parts? OEM or aftermarket?  You may have mentioned it before but too lazy to scroll through the posts.
i would assume aftermarket, but these rotors have a 2 year warranty (same as OEM) and the pads are lifetime (whatever that's worth)...in short, it doesn't seem like they throw the cheapest crap on there...they do mention they have it (if you're only keeping the car for a year and don't want to sink any money into it, but their "regular" parts are the best they have available by default).

they are doing an alignment on my Rio5 today...i'll be picking it up later...i assume it will be great, but i'll post an update as well.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2019, 10:04:30 am »
Only downside is that he's so busy all the time that it takes a while to get an appointment.
yea, this shop is extremely busy as well, but i can usually just leave a vehicle there for the day, which i'm sure they appreciate as well.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2019, 07:46:27 pm »
well, picked up the Rio5 earlier this afternoon...drives nice and straight now...$60 plus tax and no surprises.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 07:51:25 pm »
well, picked up the Rio5 earlier this afternoon...drives nice and straight now...$60 plus tax and no surprises.
Did you get a print out so you could see what was out of alignment?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2019, 05:49:15 pm »
Did you get a print out so you could see what was out of alignment?
i didn't (never thought to ask)...i'm not sure what kind of machine they have (perhaps its old and doesn't have print outs?)...i did see the marks (just smudging of the dirt, not actual damage or anything) on the wheels from where the equipment was mounted to though.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:52 pm »
just thought i'd update here...after some more driving (not just home from the shop), the alignment was still out a bit...it doesn't pull, but my steering wheel wasn't perfectly "straight" when driving...i took it back on the Monday and they realigned it...i drove around for a couple of days but it still isn't quite there...i would say they originally got it 96% correct and now it's likely 98% correct...i booked an appointment with the place i got it aligned last year (Tirecraft, where i bought the tires from) and am going to have them do it...that place has the print out that ron mentioned...my guess is, they have the latest and greatest alignment machine as it was bang on when it was done last year...i won't fault the shop that did my brakes, they were good and tried to fix it (and told me to come back if it still wasn't right), but i just think their machine and my car don't quite get along well enough.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 11:42:03 pm »
just thought i'd update here...after some more driving (not just home from the shop), the alignment was still out a bit...it doesn't pull, but my steering wheel wasn't perfectly "straight" when driving...i took it back on the Monday and they realigned it...i drove around for a couple of days but it still isn't quite there...i would say they originally got it 96% correct and now it's likely 98% correct...i booked an appointment with the place i got it aligned last year (Tirecraft, where i bought the tires from) and am going to have them do it...that place has the print out that ron mentioned...my guess is, they have the latest and greatest alignment machine as it was bang on when it was done last year...i won't fault the shop that did my brakes, they were good and tried to fix it (and told me to come back if it still wasn't right), but i just think their machine and my car don't quite get along well enough.

Best system is the Hunter Hawkeye system.  If it has the Codelink attachment, it communicates with the cars OBD II system and pulls the steering wheel alignment angles right of the car's ECU.  Pretty damn slick....

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 02:19:44 pm »
Another example of dealership pricing.  Got three quotes for rear pads and rotors for the Subaru today.  Dealer is $750 installed....my usual indie is $529 installed...I thought that also sounded a little high, so I called a Speedy Muffler shop where my in-laws have known the service manager for 30 years...$437 installed.

Any reason not to use Speedy? Raybestos brand parts....I have no idea where these fall on the quality spectrum, but I do not want to cheap out....mostly looking for a fair price on good parts. FWIW the pads are ceramic...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2019, 02:35:51 pm »
I'm sure Raybestos has several lines of parts, so it's worth asking which ones are going on the car.