Author Topic: Moving from Alberta to BC  (Read 20026 times)

Gman

Moving from Alberta to BC
« on: November 25, 2004, 07:25:23 pm »
First of all, great forum. Thank you all for making this one of the most informative Canadian forums online. I have learnt much from here.  
There is a previous thread on selling an Alberta registered car in BC. On a slightly different note, I will be moving from Alberta to BC in the end of the year. I'm looking to buy my first car in Canada. Can I avoid PST if I buy a new car here in Alberta before the move ? Or would I have to pay PST on the vehicle when I register it in BC ? I've been a resident of Alberta 2.5 years to date. Thanks.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:41:48 pm »
I'm not sure, but I suspect it will depend on the length of time that elapses between purchase in AB and registration in BC.  Maybe one of the folks that have moved around the country a bit knows more.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Pikacha10

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 07:50:32 pm »
i think they might have closed that loophole, but im not sure, i think if you lived in alberta for a certain amount of time purchase a car and then move quickly i dont think you will need to pay PST

i think you only pay PST if you were to buy it from someone else

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 09:01:33 pm »
I may be wrong, but I think you are subject to BC PST on registration in BC, regardless of how long you owned the vehicle. I am trying to find the appropriate proof for that, but haven't yet.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 12:22:21 am »
Yeah, I was looking for details too.  That's when I found the info on importing cars from the states I posted on another thread.  I'll keep looking.

Pikacha10

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 02:27:03 am »
i dont think they will charge you PST because if you were to say... give the car to your aunt in BC and she registers it, she wouldnt have to pay PST because it was a gift. i think that if a sale hasnt taken plaec then you dont have to pay the PST

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 02:35:27 am »
I think you are wrong but I can't prove it yet. It doesn't matter if there is no sale, you still have to pay PST on BC registration based on fair value(I think). As for letting your aunt register it, how do you get around the ICBC requirement that the "principal driver" be named on the insurance?? If you have an accident, and it's deemed you have been the princ. driver, not your aunt, you will have coverage problems.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 12:49:39 pm »
Gman, apart from posting a link to the BC Provincial Tax Act for you to read, I think you're best off to try talking to a real live person (if that's possible in this age of telephony ).  The Taxation Services branch of the Ministry of Provincial Revenue in BC can be reached at 1-877-388-4440.  Their website is http://www.rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb/

ICBC has some info on what you need to register but none on how taxation will be applied.

http://www.icbc.com/Insurance/insura_getsta_howbuy_moving2_register.html

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 01:49:29 pm »
Gman - here's the deal according to my local ICBC agent: As long as you have owned the vehicle at least 30 days prior to moving from AB to BC, you will be PST-exempt as it will be classified as "settler's effects". You will need two things tho: 1. your vehicle will need to be inspected by authorized ICBC shop as to mechanical/safety issues (this is not hard to get and many shops do it) and 2. get a letter from your AB insurance agent stating how many years you have been claim-free. Eight years is needed to get discount in BC.  

Hope this helps you.

Gman

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 02:03:23 pm »
Drivesideways, Ovr50 and Pikacha10..  Thanks for the replies. I have sent an email to ICBC enquiring about this issue as well and will post their reply soon. It should be the same as Ovr50's. Thanks guys.

Gman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 01:53:39 pm »
Thank you for your e-mail.

You will not have to pay Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on a vehicle you bring into BC as long as you have:

-lived outside of the province for at least six consecutive months, and
-owned, physically possessed, and used your vehicle for at least thirty days before moving to BC, and
-brought your vehicle into the province within six months after having moved here

Also, the vehicle must be registered in your name as a private individual and be used primarily for personal or private purposes.

If you do not qualify for an exemption, PST will be assessed, based on the value of your vehicle; the rate of tax differs, depending on that value.  For passenger vehicles, here are the rates of tax that currently apply, as of October 21, 2004:

VALUE                                                           TAX RATE

Less than $47,000                                               7%
$47,000 or more, but less than $48,000          8%
$48,000 or more, but less than $49,000          9%
$49,000 or more                                         10%

The website of the Consumer Taxation Branch has more information about PST as it applies to new residents bringing items, including vehicles, into BC at http://www.rev.gov.bc.ca/ctb/publications/bulletins/sst_075.pdf

You can find more information for motorists who are moving to BC at http://www.icbc.com/Insurance/insura_getsta_howbuy_moving2.html.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

ICBC - Customer Contact