Author Topic: Ford/Tricare Extended Warranty - any experiences?  (Read 40015 times)

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
Re: Ford/Tricare Extended Warranty - any experiences?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 02:12:09 pm »
Agree blur911, been there done that and still happening, 'dear what's this extra charge'?-'oh that's the extended warranty' on such an such, all I can is >hand slaps forehead and shake my head. Vive la difference
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

ElaineBak

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »
When we needed to have repairs done under our Tri-care extended warranty we had nothing but delays, problems and expenses. 

About four months ago we bought a used vehicle (a 2008 Ford Escape from Steve Marshall Motors in Campbell River, BC).  Because it was close to the original warranty expiring (there was a little over 96,000 km on the vehicle) we purchased the Tri-care extended warranty.  Before taking a vacation we had the car serviced including oil, transmission flush, tire balancing etc.  On the way home from our vacation, the vehicle started losing power so we pulled over and then the engine stalled.  When we couldn’t restart it we called a tow truck and Tri-care.  The car was towed to the nearest Ford dealership for repair (in Kamloops, BC).  The Kamloops Ford service department determined that the vehicle lost oil pressure causing the engine to quit.  Because we were 8 hours (and 584 km) from home we were given a rental vehicle while ours was being repaired (the Tri-care warranty covered this).  Because we had to go back to work and couldn’t stay in Kamloops while repairs were being done, we drove the rental home to Campbell River.

On leaving Kamloops, we were called by the dealership’s service department to advise us that the Tri-care representative told them that before Tri-care would approve the repair service they wanted a ‘tear-down’ on the vehicle.  We were told by the dealership that unless we agreed to this, Tri-care wouldn’t proceed with the repairs; so we agreed.   So the tear down was done on the first day the vehicle was in the service department.  It then took 9 business days before a Tri-care inspector/assessor would come and inspect the motor (which had to be done before the dealership could begin repairs).  Because the Tri-care extended warranty only provided a rental vehicle to us for 6 days, we now had to pay the cost of returning the rental (driving from Campbell River to Kamloops again) and were then without a substitute vehicle.  (When my husband got home by bus, Steve Marshall Ford kindly loaned us one of their vehicles.)

Finally, a few days later the Tri-care inspector’s manager approved the replacement of the motor.  Although the dealership found a suitable motor in Kamloops, Tri-care wouldn’t approve its purchase (too expensive) so another, older motor was ordered from Ontario (thousands of kilometers and 4 Provinces away).  It then took about another 2 and a half weeks for this motor to be shipped that distance.  The dealership then had to make several repairs to this motor.  Now, a nearly a month after our breakdown on the highway, the dealership has called to let us know our vehicle is ready.  And they have informed us that we have to pay additional costs (over $1000.00 worth) that Tri-care will not cover.  Apparently Tri-care will not pay for the tear-down (which they requested we felt we could not refuse) and for additional repairs to a replacement motor. In addition, we have to make one more trip from Campbell River to Kamloops at a cost to us of about $407.00 (gas and ferry fees –return trip).

When purchasing the Tri-care extended warranty I thought we would be protected. I am disgusted at the promises this company makes to customers about protection and customer service.  We have seen neither of these and I want others to know what really happens when they purchase a Tri-care extended warranty.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 02:11:44 am »
Sorry to hear of your troubles.  However, the ppl actually responsible are the same ppl that sold you the warranty.  Not only did they make a good buck selling you the warranty they knew it was worthless.  Not to mention they sold you a junker.  Why didn't Steve Marshall Motors pick up the over-charges?  Did you give them h*ll?  :)