Author Topic: Time to replace the Outlander has come...  (Read 6409 times)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
Re: Time to replace the Outlander has come...
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2024, 10:39:46 am »
Deutsche Autos sind gut, sie halten mich auf Trab. sagte mein Mechaniker

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2024, 11:11:35 am »
2013-2018 rdx v6

Esthetics aside ( I don't like them), don't these have the V6 with cylinder de-activation? Also, in this generation didn't they have a cheap slip and grip AWD rather than SH-AWD? Don't these have the problematic 6 speed transmission?

The big problem is the glass jaw 6 speed. Avoid.

If I'm not wrong in my assumptions, those are deal killer too.
I find cylinder de-activation a major idiocy and don't want it. Same as stop/start but at least that one you can disable.

Search for "VCM bypass" on ebay.

If Honda transmissions require genuine Honda fluid for service, it's not a good reason to avoid them, IMO. Plus, I haven't heard of their trannys failing as much as Kiundai's DCT or Nissan's CVTs for instance.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2024, 11:20:58 am »
2013-2018 rdx v6

Esthetics aside ( I don't like them), don't these have the V6 with cylinder de-activation? Also, in this generation didn't they have a cheap slip and grip AWD rather than SH-AWD? Don't these have the problematic 6 speed transmission?

I find cylinder de-activation a major idiocy and don't want it. Same as stop/start but at least that one you can disable.

If Honda transmissions require genuine Honda fluid for service, it's not a good reason to avoid them, IMO. Plus, I haven't heard of their trannys failing as much as Kiundai's DCT or Nissan's CVTs for instance.

No. The 6 speed Honda transmissions were bad.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2024, 11:36:15 am »
2013-2018 rdx v6

They seem to be a lot worse in the AWD models like RDX, Pilot and Ridgeline. If I was going for RDX it would be 2019 and newer with the 10-speed. They also got much better SH-AWD system starting in 2019.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2024, 12:49:05 pm »
2013-2018 rdx v6

They seem to be a lot worse in the AWD models like RDX, Pilot and Ridgeline. If I was going for RDX it would be 2019 and newer with the 10-speed. They also got much better SH-AWD system starting in 2019.

I think the G3 RDX (2019+) lost the V6, no?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2024, 01:06:17 pm »
2013-2018 rdx v6

I think the G3 RDX (2019+) lost the V6, no?

It did, yes.

Maybe look at an Infiniti QX70 like I had suggested before? No CVT, conventional N/A large displacement V6, traditional switchgear and RWD based architecture.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2024, 05:52:19 pm »
I unceremonially dumped my Odyssey and Fob's about to do the same with his Ridgeline. I don't know about Fob but I give Honda/Acura a not recommended mark.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2024, 06:53:39 pm »

Maybe look at an Infiniti QX70 like I had suggested before? No CVT, conventional N/A large displacement V6, traditional switchgear and RWD based architecture.

No bueno....remember, utility/cargo space is a "must have" and the QX70 lacks in this regard.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2024, 07:07:23 pm »
Went to see the low mileage X3. It's a big no-go. Car is in rough shape and has been neglected and abused. Seller is very motivated, but I wouldn't get that car at any price.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2024, 07:13:52 pm »

No bueno....remember, utility/cargo space is a "must have" and the QX70 lacks in this regard.

Slightly less space with seats folded up, but it has comparable room with all the seats down as the others you are considering...

Seat up/seats down
2017 X3: 27.3 cu ft / 63.3
2017 Q5: 29.1 cu ft / 57.3
2017 QX70: 24.8 cu ft / 62.0

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 07:31:25 pm by marcus_go »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2024, 08:14:12 pm »
Went to see the low mileage X3. It's a big no-go. Car is in rough shape and has been neglected and abused. Seller is very motivated, but I wouldn't get that car at any price.
So it shows good and pictures and that's about it, eh?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2024, 09:34:21 pm »

Yeah pretty much. Hard to see the real condition in pictures. Also, very important to speak to the owner as you know.

This car has an interesting story. It was purchased new by a top Canadian diplomat posted in China where it lived till 2022 and driven only 4000 km. The current owner bought it and brought it back to Canada in 2022. This is when the Carfax history starts.

Most of the 66K km where driven by him in the last 2 years and mostly highway between  Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. He did 2-3 oil changes (he couldn't say for sure) at CT - he said he changed the oil based on the car reminder which, if the same as in my BMW, it's at 24,000 km (!) which kind of adds up with the mileage.  He "thought" he might've done a brake fluid change but not sure.... CT recently installed new pads on the original rotors (rusted). Has winter tires on the original wheels (maybe good for one more season) but no summer.

Probably the car will show up soon on the market as he'll try to unload it to a dealer by Thursday (leaving the country on Saturday for an undetermined period). Dude is an immigration lawyer bouncing between various countries. Nice guy but he admitted he knows nothing about cars...and the car's condition shows it.

Otherwise, I think this is THE car I'm after, but I need to find the right unit at the right price. This is not a $5K roll of a dice purchase so I'll be patient.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2024, 09:58:42 pm »

Yeah pretty much. Hard to see the real condition in pictures. Also, very important to speak to the owner as you know.

This car has an interesting story. It was purchased new by a top Canadian diplomat posted in China where it lived till 2022 and driven only 4000 km. The current owner bought it and brought it back to Canada in 2022. This is when the Carfax history starts.

Most of the 66K km where driven by him in the last 2 years and mostly highway between  Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. He did 2-3 oil changes (he couldn't say for sure) at CT - he said he changed the oil based on the car reminder which, if the same as in my BMW, it's at 24,000 km (!) which kind of adds up with the mileage.  He "thought" he might've done a brake fluid change but not sure.... CT recently installed new pads on the original rotors (rusted). Has winter tires on the original wheels (maybe good for one more season) but no summer.

Probably the car will show up soon on the market as he'll try to unload it to a dealer by Thursday (leaving the country on Saturday for an undetermined period). Dude is an immigration lawyer bouncing between various countries. Nice guy but he admitted he knows nothing about cars...and the car's condition shows it.

Otherwise, I think this is THE car I'm after, but I need to find the right unit at the right price. This is not a $5K roll of a dice purchase so I'll be patient.

How much do you think it would need to be perfect to your specs? Why not deduct that from his asking price & a little more & make an offer on it. It will probably still be more than a trade-in offer, so he might accept it. Let's say you get it $4k less than his ask & then you need to put $3k in, you're still where you wanna be. I wouldn't worry too much about those oil change intervals at that mileage, you can change it more frequently going forward if you wish.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2024, 10:17:20 pm »

How much do you think it would need to be perfect to your specs? Why not deduct that from his asking price & a little more & make an offer on it. It will probably still be more than a trade-in offer, so he might accept it. Let's say you get it $4k less than his ask & then you need to put $3k in, you're still where you wanna be. I wouldn't worry too much about those oil change intervals at that mileage, you can change it more frequently going forward if you wish.

What it would need at a glance:
- fix/repaint front and rear bumpers, hood and hatch. Didn't look carefully at the rest of the panels but nothing jumped at me.
- replace/refinish all wheels (severe curb rash on all)
- fix, if possible, long and deep dent on the roof frame above the rear door
- brakes all around (rotor/pad)
- summer tires

Various interior plastic trims scratched up - think skis banging on the plastic trim.

This is just cosmetic stuff walking around the car and picking inside.  Once I saw the general condition of the car, I kind of quit looking. Car was pretty dirty in and out so not sure what other damage might be under.

No oil leaks for the OFHG or VCG, expansion tank, etc..... charge pipe looked intact, the belly pan was dry.... Air filter wasn't changed in a while judging by the undisturbed coat of dirt. Of course I would replace all filters and fluids as soon as I would get the car so this doesn't really matter but just an observation.

No idea what's underneath as I wasn't dressed to go under the car...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 10:21:05 pm by Dante »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2024, 10:21:03 pm »

That'd be my approach, figure out what number would make it worth your effort and shoot him an offer.

I also find it hard to believe that the hood and hatch need repaints at 66K kms....unless there's significant damage from contact with other objects, I am guessing a paint correction magician could probably take care of it. Bumpers, I get it, assuming he's been bumping into stuff.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2024, 10:38:23 pm »

That'd be my approach, figure out what number would make it worth your effort and shoot him an offer.

I also find it hard to believe that the hood and hatch need repaints at 66K kms....unless there's significant damage from contact with other objects, I am guessing a paint correction magician could probably take care of it. Bumpers, I get it, assuming he's been bumping into stuff.

The rear hatch looks like it was hit against a rough surface (e.g. concrete) as the damaged area was rough to the touch. The hood has two long (about 4 inch) deep dents with  paint chipped. You are probably right that they can be fixed without repainting the whole panel, but no idea what the cost would be - say  $1000-$1500 (?).

The bumpers I kind of know as I painted the front bumper on my BMW 2 years ago - about $1000 each, maybe a bit less if I remove them myself which is what I would probably do.

Brakes - say $1000 for all 4 corners (?)
Tires - say $1,500 (?)
Wheels - maybe I can find better ones on Kijiji and keep these for winter....

There there are all sort of interior panels which are scratched and it would be expensive to replace. I may need to live with them as-is.

I would probably offer what, $20K? It's a far cry from the $30K he's asking.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 11:09:54 pm by Dante »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2024, 12:15:05 am »

How much do you think it would need to be perfect to your specs?

Exactly what I was thinking based on his recent-ish BMW purchase. After that purchase, he put a seemingly large amount money, effort, time into that BMW.

So Dante is gonna Dante on this new purchase too! LOL [emoji38]
So getting a less than perfect car that will be refurbished anyways by Dante might be the way to go!

A thorough PPI will identify if the bones are good. If the bones are good, everything else is just a refurbishment and late maintenance...which Dante will do anyways. :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2024, 12:49:22 am »

How much do you think it would need to be perfect to your specs?

Exactly what I was thinking based on his recent-ish BMW purchase. After that purchase, he put a seemingly large amount money, effort, time into that BMW.

So Dante is gonna Dante on this new purchase too! LOL [emoji38]
So getting a less than perfect car that will be refurbished anyways by Dante might be the way to go!

A thorough PPI will identify if the bones are good. If the bones are good, everything else is just a refurbishment and late maintenance...which Dante will do anyways. :)

Not sure what you mean but can tell you I don't want to "refurbish" anything on this one aside from fresh fluids, filters and wiper blades. Maybe brakes and tires if reflected in the purchase price. Totally different situation from the 328.
I'm pretty sure the bones are good. It's just a bit too much wear inside and out that wouldn't just buff out.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2024, 06:42:10 am »
I'd offer the guy $20K, as an easy no nonsense deal....cash for keys and title. You'd be surprised how often sellers respond positively to that. Gives you plenty of budget to sort out the cosmetic stuff.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2024, 09:56:35 am »
I'd offer the guy $20K, as an easy no nonsense deal....cash for keys and title. You'd be surprised how often sellers respond positively to that. Gives you plenty of budget to sort out the cosmetic stuff.

I agree. Give him your number and say the offer is good for three days. You need deal tension.