Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Luxury  (Read 14068 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Luxury
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:26 pm »
The new Ford Explorer Limited trim looks okay.

Oh, wait, that's not it?  Did someone slap LR badges on their Ford?  I'm confused.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 01:52:37 pm »

Oh, wait, that's not it?  Did someone slap LR badges on their Ford?  I'm confused.

Oh come on, the Explorer isn't bad looking
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 02:07:19 pm »

Oh come on, the Explorer isn't bad looking

He didn't say it was.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 02:12:06 pm »
For $50K before tax I can get a pretty well equipped vehicle (SE trim) which is not attainable with other luxury brands when similarly equipped (NAV, HID, heated windshield/seats/steering wheel, etc). I particularly like I can get the leather/cloth seats (I don't like leather in general) and in general it has all the features I want and it does not have the ones I don't want (glass roof, 19"+ wheels, leather, power tailgate,etc). Those are all discrete options.

You're right. $49,052 if you don't opt for metallic paint. Not bad.

The customizability of Land Rovers is quite nice.

Or you could buy a fully decked Kia Sorrento with all that stuff and more with a  nice smooth V6 and go for a good long holiday...

Absolutely.... but I will raise you .... buy a 10 years old Accent and go on a tour around the world.... :)

Well the Sorrento is a fair comparison, its fully loaded and has at least a V6 under the hood....as for looks, this fake RR isn't exactly breaking new boundaries is it??

It does not but it is not meant to either. How many SUVs do break any boundaries?  Thing is are they doing what they are supposed to do which is "utility" vehicles?

While feature vs feature and $$$ vs $$$ is a way to compare, there are other things for me that go into an automotive choice. For one, the interior quality and materials in the Disco Sport are superior to the ones used in the Sorento to use your example.

An Escape for instance can do the same as the LR 99.99% of the time for a fraction of the cost, and the same is true for Q5, X3, etc. yet not everyone is buying an Escape (or RAV4, CRV, etc). There are tangible differences between cars/brands that make them viable on the market.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 02:14:18 pm »
These are s@#t.

When the LR4 got hit last year some mechanical work was done at the local LR dealer. They gave me one of these as a courtesy car. As a CUV there are much better alternatives out there.

What did you not like about it?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2017, 02:59:28 pm »
Admittedly, I've always had a spot for Land Rovers because I don't really want SUVs to be sporty. I mean, that's not the point. They ought to be confortable and offer good off-road manners.

Not sure I'd spring for the HSE Luxury trim though, pushing the value proposition. I configured a mid-range HSE and loaded a dose of options (7 470$ worth), coming out to 57 k$ TTC which I think its reasonable with the Active Driveline and Driver Assistance options selected. At the 68 k$ for the tested version in the article, I think that's a little rich for what you're getting.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2017, 06:19:44 pm »
These are s@#t.

When the LR4 got hit last year some mechanical work was done at the local LR dealer. They gave me one of these as a courtesy car. As a CUV there are much better alternatives out there.

4 cylinder vibration.
Flinty yet wallowy ride
Cheap materials
Dial transmission controller
Limited rear seat room

The Sorrento SX I bought my folks  had a better ride and more refined engine.. the auto tailgate On my LR loaner failed too. Not a good sign with 2000 kms on the clock lol.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2017, 06:54:46 pm »
A friend of mine has an old Disco and she uses it as it was designed: fording rivers and going to really hard to reach areas.  It's work to keep it up, but she loves it now and just keeps it going.  She gets all these product roll-out intros and other stuff from the Calgary LR dealer (she lives in Banff) and she goes as they usually have free food and it's kinda fun to see what's up.

I asked her what she thought of the new Disco, as an owner of an old one.  She just put her finger in her throat and made a lot of gagging and vomiting motions.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 12:16:56 am »
For $50K before tax I can get a pretty well equipped vehicle (SE trim) which is not attainable with other luxury brands when similarly equipped (NAV, HID, heated windshield/seats/steering wheel, etc). I particularly like I can get the leather/cloth seats (I don't like leather in general) and in general it has all the features I want and it does not have the ones I don't want (glass roof, 19"+ wheels, leather, power tailgate,etc). Those are all discrete options.

You're right. $49,052 if you don't opt for metallic paint. Not bad.

The customizability of Land Rovers is quite nice.

Or you could buy a fully decked Kia Sorrento with all that stuff and more with a  nice smooth V6 and go for a good long holiday...

Absolutely.... but I will raise you .... buy a 10 years old Accent and go on a tour around the world.... :)

Well the Sorrento is a fair comparison, its fully loaded and has at least a V6 under the hood....as for looks, this fake RR isn't exactly breaking new boundaries is it??
While feature vs feature and $$$ vs $$$ is a way to compare, there are other things for me that go into an automotive choice. For one, the interior quality and materials in the Disco Sport are superior to the ones used in the Sorento to use your example.
in lower trim Sorentos, sure...the Sorento SXL has some premium features, tech and materials in it.

the Disco Sport HSE Luxury (top trim) and Sorento SXL (top trim) both offer upgraded leather, audio systems and safety packages...the Disco Sport uses a blown 4 vs the Sorento's V6...there may be some differences, but i'll bet the differences are not very much.

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 08:54:06 am »
A friend of mine has an old Disco and she uses it as it was designed: fording rivers and going to really hard to reach areas.  It's work to keep it up, but she loves it now and just keeps it going.  She gets all these product roll-out intros and other stuff from the Calgary LR dealer (she lives in Banff) and she goes as they usually have free food and it's kinda fun to see what's up.

I asked her what she thought of the new Disco, as an owner of an old one.  She just put her finger in her throat and made a lot of gagging and vomiting motions.

Old Discovery vs new Discovery line is different story. Different strokes for different folks.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 09:29:00 am »
These are s@#t.

4 cylinder vibration.
Flinty yet wallowy ride
Cheap materials
Dial transmission controller
Limited rear seat room

The Sorrento SX I bought my folks  had a better ride and more refined engine.. the auto tailgate On my LR loaner failed too. Not a good sign with 2000 kms on the clock lol.

Sorento is a bigger car to begin with and V6 vs 2.0T will bear differences from the the get go. I would not debate that.

Now, in my short drive of my neighbor's Disco Sport, I could not fully assess how good/bad the 2.0T is but I never considered the Ford-based engine as an option for an eventual purchase. I will hold my breath until I can drive a unit with the new Ingenium engine (available now) and for a longer time/distance.

However, all luxury compact SUVs have 2.0T engines so LR is no different in this respect so it's kind of a given, like it or not. Yes, I would prefer a 6-cylinder any day for this size of vehicle but that's just not an option for around $50K (RDX not included in the conversation). It's a fact I cannot change.

I actually like the rear seat setup as this is one thing I take a good look at in these vehicles (along with cargo configuration). The rear seats are adjustable in all Disco Sport trims - slide and recline which is something I found very useful over the years in my Outlander which has a similar setup. Also, they have "stadium seating" which again the Outlander has. This allows the rear passengers to keep their legs in a more comfortable position. In many SUVs, the rear bench is too low to the floor which forces you to keep your knees up. Space wise is comparable with the competition in the class.

I guess the perception of the interior quality is subjective matter but, personally, I found it perfectly appropriate for an upscale vehicle (there is distinction between Discovery and Range Rover line in terms of luxury) and comparable with the other offerings; it feels a little different from the Germans - some British flavor (!?).  Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with the material quality and fit and finish (one minor thing I dislike is that they have a switch to turn on the light for the visor rather than turn on when you slide the mirror cover).

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 10:10:54 am »

in lower trim Sorentos, sure...the Sorento SXL has some premium features, tech and materials in it.

the Disco Sport HSE Luxury (top trim) and Sorento SXL (top trim) both offer upgraded leather, audio systems and safety packages...the Disco Sport uses a blown 4 vs the Sorento's V6...there may be some differences, but i'll bet the differences are not very much.

That's a bad interior picture for the Disco - I personally hate that trim which is optional (looks cheap and cheesy to me). On the HSE Luxury that have an option for a similar color upgraded leather seats.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 10:37:41 am »
as much as those two vehicles aren't likely to get cross-shopped (one all about ignoring brand names, and one all about showing them off), that really is a nice looking interior and likely no less reliable...

that is probably one of those cases where driving the two back to back really might make the cheaper one win when you take out brand cachet.

but like jeep, there is more under the skin... question is just if it matters.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 11:09:35 am »

My Mum's is the white interior.
And a Kia was NEVER on her shopping list.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 01:50:40 pm »

My Mum's is the white interior.
And a Kia was NEVER on her shopping list.
i had a hard time finding any decent interior pics of the HSE Luxury that weren't essentially thumbnails...in either case, there really isn't much missing on Sorento SXL aside from the brand cache (if you're into that)...i don't think those photos scream an almost $60k interior to me (don't get me wrong, it isn't awful, just doesn't look overly luxurious to me)...the second one (with the white) looks like it could have come out of a 2007 Land Rover..the Sorento is likely more reliable, more easily serviced (depending on where you live), has 0%/84 financing (if that means anything to you) has a longer warranty, is $10k less expensive, has a V6 (which you said you liked)...i'm sure there's more, but you get the point...no, don't compare the Disco to lower trim Sorentos, but if you look at the top SXL model, it is quite luxurious and aside from the name on the hood, likely compares quite well to it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:09 pm »
For example, to once again bring up the Stinger it didn't make the Car and Driver 10 best this year (in the current issue). The reason, when compared against the other cars in its class like the Audi A/S5 was poorer build quality and materials and a poorer chassis. Sometimes more is more - it's just not the badge. '
maybe, but keep things in perspective...perhaps the S5 was 10/10 and the Stinger was 9/10...sure, it's "poorer", but not by much...as well, i bet most people drive their vehicles 6/10 anyway...rarely does anyone actually drive their vehicles to edge of its limitations (certainly the buying public)...with regard to the top trim Kia, it is very well received in reviews for its quality and materials

even the minivan comparison a couple of years ago with the new Sienna, Odyssey and Sedona battling it out...the Kia finished last, but only half a point separated 1st to 3rd, so they were all very close.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-honda-odyssey-vs-kia-sedona-vs-toyota-sienna/?all=1

FWIW, driving.ca (because they rate each vehicle tested) gave the last Disco Sport they tested a 68%...it's a 2015, but it looks basically the same as the new one.

http://driving.ca/land-rover/discovery-sport/reviews/road-test/suv-review-2015-land-rover-discovery-sport-hse-luxury

the last Sorento tested (2016) scored an 84...the reviewer even mentions shopping it against some luxury brands (Acura, Infinit, etc).

http://driving.ca/kia/sorento/reviews/road-test/suv-review-2016-kia-sorento-sx-v6-awd

as i said, i don't think the differences are really that big, if even at all.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:27:31 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2017, 02:28:14 pm »
I don't necessarily want to wade into this argument you guys are having but once again let me note that there's simply more to these KIA arguments than just features and the badge.
also, i'd say it's a discussion, not an argument.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:57 pm »
Pictures aplenty here: https://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/2015-discovery_sport/. Mind you it's 2015 MY but nothing significant changed.

Get it, Sorento is the answer to anything SUV so no one should buy X3, Q5, GLC, XC60 or Discovery Sport for that matter, because Sorento has it/does it all.

You prefer Sorento, fine, nothing wrong with it; it's a good vehicle in its own rights, but there are other considerations in buying a car/SUV other than the price per tone or feature.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:39:32 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »
The Sorrento is also quite a bit larger than the Discovery Sport.  I would say the Discovery Sport is more in between the Sportage and the Sorrento.  Yes, technically it has a 3rd row (although it's an option I doubt many people will take) but it's quite a bit smaller than actual 3-row CUV's. 

This vehicle is more Rogue-sized.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2017, 02:42:48 pm »
Pictures aplenty here: https://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/2015-discovery_sport/. Mind you it's 2015 MY but nothing significant changed.

Get it, Sorento is the answer to anything SUV so no one should buy X3, Q5, GLC, XC60 or Discovery Sport for that matter, because Sorento has it/does it all.

You prefer Sorento, fine, nothing wrong with it; it's a good vehicle in its own rights, but there are other considerations in buying a car/SUV other than the price per tone or feature.

Look, very very few people who are shopping in the compact luxury segment are going to be looking at a Kia Sorrento.  For those people (yes, my mum included), brand cachet is a big part of the luxury experience.