NEW FOR 2014:
– GSR Limited Edition, R-Line (late availability) packages available.
– Fender Edition, Super Beetle discontinued.
– Anti-theft wheel bolts removed.
– 1.8 TSI replaces 2.5L five-cylinder engine part-way through the year.
– 2.0 TSI receives a 10 hp bump in output on Sportline trim.
– Multilink rear suspension, illuminated vanity mirrors standard on all trims.
– Highline/Sportline get automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers, auto-dimming rearview mirror.
– MDI with iPod connectivity standard on Comfortline.
– Multimedia device bracket in glovebox added.
– Paint changes: Toffee Brown Metallic, Deep Black Pearl added; Reflex Silver Metallic, Black removed.
For 2014, the Beetle is bestowed with a new 1.8L turbocharged four-cylinder engine part-way through the year, meaning some early model year Beetles still have the 2.5L five-cylinder engine before the switch over. Also, multilink rear suspension and illuminated vanity mirrors have been added to all models, while each trim gets specific equipment enhancements.
Added to the list of packages is the GSR Limited Edition package that includes 19-inch alloy wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights, LED daytime running lights, sport seats in black with yellow stitching, exterior mirrors in black, dashboard in R-line design, front and rear “R” design bumpers, panoramic power sunroof, and Limited Edition serialized number plate (numbered out of 3500 units).
The Beetle is also available as a convertible, covered in a separate entry.
The Beetle Coupe is available with four different engines and four possible transmission options:
– 2.5L 5-cylinder engine producing 170 hp and 177 lb-ft mated to either a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic, only available in Comfortline or Highline trims.
– 1.8 TSI turbocharged gas 4-cylinder engine producing 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque mated to either a 5-speed manual to 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic, only available in Comfortline or Highline trims.
– 2.0L TDI clean diesel 4-cylinder engine producing 140 hp and 236 lb-ft mated to either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic DSG with Tiptronic, only available in Comfortline or Highline trims.
– 2.0 TSI turbocharged gas 4-cylinder engine producing 210 hp and 207 lb-ft mated to either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed DSG automatic, only available in Sportline trim.
In Comfortline trim, features include body coloured bumpers/door handles/side mirrors, sliding driver side visor, illuminated vanity mirrors, MDI, dual exhaust on driver’s side, black front grille, integrated signals in side mirrors, heated power mirrors, 16-inch alloy wheels, heated front seats, manual climate control, security system with engine immobilizer, front center armrest storage, cruise control, front and rear floormats, multi-function trip computer, map lights, power locks, front vanity mirrors, chrome interior door handles, 8-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo with auxiliary jack, airbags (front, front side), LATCH, 6-way manually adjustable front seats, 50/50 split rear folding seat, tilt/telescopic leather steering wheel, Bluetooth phone integration, leather wrapped shift knob and handbrake lever, cloth seating, auto up/down power windows, and four wheel disc brakes with ABS.
Highline adds chrome to front grille, fog lights, 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, auto-dimming rearview mirror, rain sensing wipers, black window surrounds with chrome, keyless entry, push button start, 8-way manual adjustable sport front seats, multi-function steering wheel, and steering wheel mounted Bluetooth controls.
Sportline adds 2.0 TSI turbocharged gas 4-cylinder engine, 6-speed manual transmission, Turbo rear-centre badge, dual exhaust on driver and passenger sides, 18-inch wheels, alloy pedals, electromechanical speed sensitive steering, sport suspension, leather seats, and carbon fiber dash trim.