NEW FOR 2014:
– Anti-theft wheel bolts removed.
– 1.8 TSI replaces 2.5L five-cylinder engine part-way through the year.
– 2.0 TSI and Sportline trim added to lineup.
– Folding top can now be operated remotely with key fob.
– Carbon/black leatherette interior added to Comfortline.
– Automatic headlights, auto-dimming rearview mirror, rain sensing wipers added to Highline.
– R-Line Package available.
– Multimedia device bracket in glovebox added.
– Paint changes: Toffee Brown Metallic, Moonrock Silver Metallic, Candy White w/ beige top added; Reflex Silver Metallic, Tornado Red w/ beige top removed.
While the Volkswagen Beetle Convertible has a coupe version that shares the same name, their packaging is quite different. For instance, you cannot get the convertible with a diesel engine in Canada, though you can with the coupe. Also, up until this year, you couldn’t get a convertible with the 2.0 TSI turbocharged four-cylinder engine. But, thankfully, the 2014 model year brings the 210 hp motor to the lineup along with the new 1.8 TSI to replace the aging 2.5L five-cylinder motor.
Other changes include minor changes to equipment in the Comfortline and Highline trims.
The Beetle coupe is covered in a separate entry.
The Beetle Convertible is available with three different engines and three possible transmission options:
– 2.5L 5-cylinder engine producing 170 hp and 177 lb-ft mated to a 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic, only available in Comfortline or Highline trims.
– 1.8 TSI turbocharged gas 4-cylinder engine producing 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque mated to a 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic, only available in Comfortline or Highline trims.
– 2.0 TSI turbocharged gas 4-cylinder engine producing 210 hp and 207 lb-ft mated to either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed DSG automatic, only available in Sportline trim.
In Comfortline trim, features include 2.5L 5-cylinder engine, 6-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic, power convertible cloth top with tonneau cover, integrated rear spoiler, body coloured bumpers/door handles/side mirrors, dual exhaust on driver’s side, black front grille, integrated signals in side mirrors, heated power mirrors, 16-inch alloy wheels, heated front seats, manual climate control, security system with engine immobilizer, front center armrest storage, cruise control, front and rear floormats, multi-function trip computer, map lights, power locks, front vanity mirrors, chrome interior door handles, 8-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo with auxiliary jack, MDI with iPod integration, active rollover protection system, airbags (front, front side), LATCH, 8-way manually adjustable front seats, 50/50 split rear folding seat, tilt/telescopic leather steering wheel, Bluetooth phone integration, leather wrapped shift knob and handbrake lever, leatherette seating, auto up/down power windows, and four wheel disc brakes with ABS.
Highline trim adds 17-inch wheels, chrome front grille, automatic headlights, auto-dimming rearview mirror, rain sensing wipers, fog lights, keyless entry, push button start, sport seats, leather multi-function wheel, and leather seats.
Sportline trim adds 2.0 TSI engine, six-speed manual transmission (six-speed DSG automatic optional), 18-inch alloy wheels, red brake calipers, sport suspension, dashboard auxiliary gauges, Fender Premium audio, navigation, and satellite radio.