CHANGES FOR 2013:
– Sportline trim discontinued.
– Paint changes: Amaryllis Red Metallic, Shark Blue Metallic discontinued.
– Multimedia Package removed, Connectivity Package added to Comfortline.
The Golf costs a bit more than the competition, but you see and feel where that money goes in its premium build quality and European on-road presence that makes it equally happy on the highway as on a winding country road. The base 2.5L five-cylinder is a strong engine but lacks character and doesn’t return great mileage. The 136-hp 2.0L TDI Clean Diesel bestows upon this five-seat front-drive hatch micro-car fuel frugality with maximum driving pleasure.
The Golf is available in 3- and 5-door guises. The two engines mentioned above can be had with a few different transmission combinations:
– 2.5L 5-cylinder gas engine with 170 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque mated to a 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic (this is the only combination on the 3-door Golf).
– 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI turbodiesel with 140 hp and 236 lb-ft of torque mated to either a 6-speed manual or Volkswagen’s 6-speed DSG automatic.
Trims include Trendline for the 3-door and Trendline, Comfortline, and Highline for the 5-door.
In Trendline trim, features include 15-inch steel wheels, 60/40 split folding rear seat with centre armrest, 8-way manually adjustable front seats (3-door), 8-way partial power adjustable front seats (5-door), 8-speaker AM/FM/CD audio with auxiliary input, air conditioning, cruise control, airbags (front, front side, side curtain), front and rear map lights, front centre armrest storage, power heated side mirrors, and remote central locking.
Comfortline adds 16-inch alloy wheels, engine block heater and fog lights (TDI), front and rear floor mats, heated front seats, and leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob, and hand brake lever.
Highline adds 17-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth phone integration, automatic dual-zone climate control, fog lights, leather seating, leather wrapped multifunction steering wheel, matte chrome interior trim, MDI with iPod connectivity, multifunction trip computer, power sunroof, Premium 8 audio (touch screen with 8 speakers) with satellite radio, sport seats, and sport suspension.