NEW FOR 2012:
– Debut of new SKYACTIV engine and transmission on GS sedan and Sport
– Refreshed exterior and interior styling
– GX sedan and Sport add standard 16-inch steel wheels; GX sedan further adds standard power locks with keyless entry, trunk release and retractable key fob; new available Convenience Package on both adds 16-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth connectivity and audio profile, six speakers, cruise control and steering wheel-mounted audio controls
– GS-SKY sedan and Sport add standard heated seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and premium illuminated entry; new available GS-L package adds fog lights, leather upholstery, eight-way power driver’s seat, leather-like sliding console cover and vinyl side door trim
– GT sedan and Sport add standard BOSE audio with Centrepoint and Audio Pilot, ten speakers, single CD and improved fuel economy; deletes six-CD changer and black-out meter set
– New GT-E Package on sedan and Sport adds blind spot monitoring system, intelligent key system with pushbutton ignition, Sirius satellite radio, colour information screen, navigation system and auto-levelling active headlamps
– Mazdaspeed3 adds standard BOSE audio with Centrepoint and Audio Pilot, ten speakers and single CD; deletes six-CD changer and black-out meter set
– New Technology Package on Mazdaspeed3 adds blind spot monitoring system, intelligent key system with pushbutton ignition, eight-way power driver’s seat, Sirius satellite radio, colour information screen, navigation system and auto-levelling active headlamps
– Exterior colours: Sky Blue Mica, Indigo Lights Mica and Newport Slate Metallic added; Celestial Blue Mica, Gunmetal Blue Mica and Copper Red Mica discontinued
– Exterior colours Mazdaspeed3: Aluminum Metallic Mica added; Celestial Blue Mica discontinued
For 2012, the Mazda3 presents the first North American use of the company’s new SKYACTIV performance and fuel-saving technologies, with a new engine and transmission on its mid-range GS line, now called the GS-SKY.
The Mazda3 also undergoes mild styling changes of new fascia, rounded fog lamps and updated grille, along with improvements to body stiffness and handling. The SKY models are differentiated with new blue engine cover, transparent blue headlamp rings, and SKYACTIV badge. Each trim line now adds new standard or optional features.
The Mazda3 comes as a four-door sedan or as a four-door hatchback, called the Sport. The hatchback is also the basis of the performance-oriented Mazdaspeed3.
The Mazda3 sedan is available as the GX, with 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual or optional five-speed automatic transmission; as the GS-SKY, with 2.0-litre direct-injection four-cylinder engine and six-speed manual or optional six-speed automatic transmission; and as the GT, with 2.5-litre four-cylinder and six-speed manual or optional five-speed automatic transmission. The Mazdaspeed3 uses a turbocharged 2.3-litre four-cylinder with six-speed manual transmission.
Features on the GX models include 16-inch steel wheels, black grille with matte finish bar, power mirrors, variable intermittent wipers, exterior temperature gauge, tilt and telescopic steering wheel, keyless entry, power windows with driver’s auto-down, illuminated entry, trunk light, driver and passenger vanity mirrors, map lights, cloth seats with manual driver’s height adjustment, 60/40 split-folding rear seat, floor mats, centre console box with lid, CD/MP3 stereo with four speakers and auxiliary input, front active head restraints and security alarm.
The GS-SKY adds 16-inch alloy wheels, air conditioning, heated mirrors, rain-sensing wipers, sporty exhaust finisher, automatic headlamps, Bluetooth connectivity with Audio Profile, cruise control, heated seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, silver finish inside door handles, rear centre armrest, and six speakers.
The GT adds 17-inch alloy wheels, dual-zone automatic climate control, black grille with glossy black bar, dual exhaust, rear lip spoiler, fog lights, LED taillights, bi-xenon headlamps with manual levelling, auto-dimming rearview mirror, overhead console with sunglasses storage, power sunroof, heated leather seats, eight-way power driver’s seat, multi-information display, trip computer, and premium ten-speaker Bose audio system.
The Mazdaspeed3 builds on the GT and adds 18-inch alloy wheels, Speed-specific bumpers, front fascia and rear roof wing spoiler, limited-slip differential, Speed-specific fog lights, side skirts, alloy pedals, sport seats and unique gauges.