NEW FOR 2009:
– All-wheel drive model discontinued
– SE adds luxury floor mats and cabin air filtration
– SXT adds standard four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and leather-wrapped wheel with audio controls; optional body-colour body side moulding
– R/T adds standard 18-inch chrome-clad wheels, Sirius satellite radio and UConnect hands-free connectivity
– Optional Navigation and Sound Group on Limited adds MyGIG entertainment system with Boston Acoustics speakers
– UConnect and Sirius satellite radio available or standard on all models
– Exterior colours: TorRed and Deep Water Blue added; Sunburst Orange, Modern Blue and Marathon Blue discontinued
– Interior colours: Dark Slate Grey replaces Dark/Light Slate Grey
An all-new model for 2008, the Dodge Avenger undergoes some changes to its list of standard and optional features for 2009. Most notable is the discontinuation of all-wheel drive, which could be optioned on the R/T model for 2008.
A sister vehicle to the Chrysler Sebring, the Avenger comes with a choice of three engines: a 2.4-litre four-cylinder with four-speed automatic in the SE and SXT; a flexible-fuel 2.7-litre V6 with four-speed automatic that’s optional in the SXT; and a 3.5-litre V6 with six-speed automatic and manual shift mode in the R/T.
Features on the SE include 16-inch steel wheels, air conditioning, disc and drum brakes, electroluminescent gauges, outside temperature gauge, floor mats, power mirrors, CD/MP3 stereo, power locks with keyless entry, cloth seats, 60/40 split-folding rear seat, security alarm, cruise control, tilt and telescopic wheel, instrument panel storage bin with Chill Zone, tire pressure monitor warning lamp, power windows with driver’s auto-down, and variable intermittent wipers.
The SXT adds 17-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, Stain Repel fabric, fold-flat passenger seat, eight-way power driver’s seat, and leather-wrapped wheel.
The R/T adds 18-inch chrome-clad wheels, automatic temperature control, fog lamps, automatic headlamps, illuminated vanity mirrors, heated mirrors, auto-dimming rearview mirror, six-CD/MP3 stereo with Sirius satellite radio, heated leather seats, rear spoiler, perforated leather wheel, sport-tuned suspension, UConnect hands-free connectivity and front auto up/down windows.
Styled similarly to the Dodge Charger, the Avenger offers a roomy interior, even in the rear seat, an attractive if plain interior, and numerous available options, including MyGIG entertainment system and navigation system, although safety features such as anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control are not across-the-board and must be added to some models. The "Chill Zone" isn’t actually a refrigerator, but a storage compartment with an a/c duct vented into it that will keep already-chilled beverage cans cool on hot days; if you prefer, the can holder can be removed to turn it into a storage bin.