NEW FOR 2008:
– New 6.2-litre V8 with six-speed automatic transmission replaces 6.0-litre V8 with four-speed automatic
– All-new interior with new instrument panel and more comfortable seats
– Optional full third row on H2 SUV
– Standard rear HVAC, electronic stability control program with proactive roll avoidance, panic brake assist, and curtain airbags with rollover sensing system
– Towing capacity increased to 8,200 lbs (3,727 kg) from 7,000 lbs (3,182 kg)
For 2008, the Hummer H2 and its H2 SUT pickup version undergo considerable changes, including a new engine and transmission, updated interior and welcome additions to its safety features.
Both models are powered by a 6.2-litre V8 engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, and feature full-time four-wheel drive with driver-selectable full locking electronic rear differential.
Features include 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic dual-zone climate control, eight-way heated leather seats, rear 60/40 folding rear seat with heated outboard positions, tire pressure monitoring system, undercarriage protection, remote starter, six-CD/MP3 stereo with auxiliary input jack, XM Satellite Radio, and OnStar with one year Turn-by-Turn Navigation.
The H2 SUT includes a pickup box with fold-down "Midgate", which can be opened for carrying longer items in the box, and power sunroof; the SUV can be optioned with a third row of seats.
Available options include off-road suspension, Chrome Appearance Package, rearview camera, heated washer fluid system, DVD-based navigation system and rear-seat entertainment system.
Based on a shortened Suburban chassis, the H2 is a huge, heavy vehicle that feels even bigger with its tall sides and short windows. It’s really as capable as claimed, able to handle a 40 per cent slope, ford 500 mm of water and climb rocks 400 mm high, although most don’t go much outside the urban jungle. It’s too large to require fuel economy figures, but estimates run as high as 22 L/100 km (13 mpg Imp).