Author Topic: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread  (Read 310502 times)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
Re: Omnibus Blu-ray Thread
« Reply #1060 on: June 07, 2013, 04:17:36 pm »
I'm very tempted by that sale.

As far as I can recall, all (or almost all) "import fee deposits" that I've paid to amazon.com have eventually been refunded. Sometimes, it's two months after you order but you'll likely get an email saying you've got a refund.

And amazon.com packages usually slip through without taxes.

Amazon.com is selling stuff for $19.99 that is selling for $40.00 or more on amazon.ca. Seems to me that you'd likely come out well ahead if your ordered a couple of discs.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1061 on: June 07, 2013, 04:29:02 pm »
Bought a new Samsung bluray player today, main reason to plug a hard drive into the player to play movies

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #1062 on: June 07, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
Amazon.com is selling stuff for $19.99 that is selling for $40.00 or more on amazon.ca. Seems to me that you'd likely come out well ahead if your ordered a couple of discs.

Well, at SAE those $40 discs are $30 regular price, without the import deposit. You still save on 3 disks (my test), but only $10. Not a huge amount off.

In the physical media glut, I'm beginning to choke.  :D

Bought a new Samsung bluray player today, main reason to plug a hard drive into the player to play movies

Welcome to blu-ray heaven!  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #1063 on: June 07, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »

Not going to be buy any disks  :P

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 07, 2013, 11:14:17 pm »

Well, at SAE those $40 discs are $30 regular price, without the import deposit. You still save on 3 disks (my test), but only $10. Not a huge amount off.

You'll have to demonstrate the SAE math to me.

In the case of amazon.ca vs. amazon.us. Use these discs as a comparison:

TWO LANE BLACK TOP
REPO MAN
BADLANDS

At amazon.ca, the discs would total 117.22. Add GST and my Manitoba PST and it totals: $131.29CDN to my door with free shipping.

At amazon.com, those discs would total $59.97. Shipping is $4.99 per package plus $2.99 per item. Any import duty is refunded so there is no cost there. These usually avoid GST and PST. Total to my door would be about $73.93US. Adjusting for the 97 cent Canadian dollar that's about $76.89CDN

A saving of about $54.40 (more or less).

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: June 08, 2013, 10:24:16 am »

You'll have to demonstrate the SAE math to me.

SAE: 3 discs@$30 each =$90+shipping $9.90 = $100
Amazon.com: 3 discs@$19 each = 60+shipping $14 +import duties dep $12 = 86

OK - $5 difference each ... but not earth shattering.

Our experience with the customs duties is different, obviously. :)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 08, 2013, 11:03:20 am »

Amazon isn't refunding any of your "Import Fee Deposit"?

That is strange.

I just checked my order history and discovered that about 70% of my import fee is always refunded. I was wrong to suggest that ALL of the fee is refunded...but most of the fee is refunded.

I just cut-and-pasted this from one of my amazon orders from May 12 of last year. The initial import fee deposit was $8.39.  On July 13, $6.13 of that fee was refunded so the actual fee for the three discs in that order was $2.26 or 75 cents per disc.

Import Fees Deposit   $8.39

Refund date: July 13, 2012

I place FOUR orders with amazon.com in 2012. I received a refund for all four orders.

For the ten discs I ordered in 2012, my total imports fees actually paid after receiving my refunds was only $6.65.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1067 on: June 09, 2013, 05:37:26 am »

Not going to be buy any disks  :P

So you just going to rent?

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 09, 2013, 07:43:47 am »

Amazon isn't refunding any of your "Import Fee Deposit"?

I just get 'dribs and drabs' back, but nothing substantial.

I think another alternative is to wait for the Barnes and Noble Criterion sales. IIRC, they declare the disks as 'books', which seems to get through without custom duties.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 11, 2013, 01:00:54 pm »
I'm seeing some more INSANE Blu-ray deals today.

I have the Warner Brothers Ultimate Gangster Collection (Classic) that I pre-ordered for $34.99. It has four classic movies on Blu-ray (PETRIFIED FOREST, THE PUBLIC ENEMY, WHITE HEAT, LITTLE CAESAR) and a documentary on DVD. At $34.99, I thought I was making out like a bandit. Now, amazon.ca is selling it for $27.49!! And it qualifies for free shipping.

Some new and updated release news:

Warner Brothers has announced the classic 1963 horror film THE HAUNTING for October 15

More great titles are coming from Scorpion.

And a dozen classic BETTY BOOP cartoon shorts from 1932 to 1937 are coming from Olive.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: June 12, 2013, 10:45:21 am »
ImportCDs is having a 10% off sale (add promo code "SAVE10" at check out).

I just ordered the following:

THE PETE WALKER COLLECTION (4 FILMS) 

BETTY BLUE

GRAPES OF DEATH

THE LOOK

If bought at amazon.ca with current prices, those items would total $163.32. Shipping is free but Manitoba PST and GST would bring the total cost delivered to $182.92.

From ImportCDs, with the promo code applied, the cost of those items is $66.38US, Shipping and handling is $14.96US (The Pete Walker Collection qualifies as "Heavy" and adds extra to the cost). The the total is  $81.34US. Based on past experience (which is an indicator but not a guarantee) this should get through customs with no extra charges applied. I have already paid with PayPal which has given me a final cost in Canadian dollars of $85.04.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: June 12, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »
I decided to spend a little money and get this movie for $45 (including shipping, taxes, etc.) from yesasia.com.

A WEREWOLF BOY is a drama/romance from Korea which I watched on a plane on the way back from vacation. (Those plane entertainment centres are great - and nothing is cut!).

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 12, 2013, 05:44:25 pm »
I decided to spend a little money and get this movie for $45 (including shipping, taxes, etc.) from yesasia.com.

A WEREWOLF BOY is a drama/romance from Korea which I watched on a plane on the way back from vacation. (Those plane entertainment centres are great - and nothing is cut!).

I quite enjoy odd, quirky asian flicks.

If you haven't seen The Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, OldBoy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) by Korean director Park Chan Wook, you should check it out.  Good flicks!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: June 13, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »
I've heard of that trilogy. :)

I can also recommend Architecture 101, which I also saw on the plane. (It's another romance though). I didn't like it as much as WEREWOLF BOY, so I've left it for another time...

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 20, 2013, 11:40:19 pm »
Time for a little update.

I see that Olive Films (perhaps my favorite distributor of Blu-ray Discs) has announced some more titles that I must own.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 29, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
I good day for blu-ray buying, on all levels

1) buy at retail on release because I have to watch it (can't wait for Help! by The Beatles to be released, either)

2) buy at $14.99 - recent blockbusters that I want to see but won't pay top dollar for (Life of Pi next time, probably)

3) buy cheap - catalog titles and blockbusters which are meh ($4.99 in this case - the only movie I've ever found Cameron Diaz to be attractive in)

Say, Dex - have you seen that 20 film Clint Eastwood set? For around $100, that's $5 a movie. What do you think?

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 29, 2013, 08:46:49 pm »
Hey, you do know that HELP! was released on the 25th of  June? Mine finally came yesterday (amazon shipped it from BC and routed it through Calgary). You can get it at HMV for $19.99 which is the cheapest deal I've seen (cheaper than amazon). It's not a great transfer...a bit heavy handed on the edge enhancement...but it's the best we're going to get.

I watched LIFEFORCE a few days ago. I can't remember the plot but Matilda May is so hot I don't really care.

I'm very tempted by THE MASK. The trouble is that I have WAY over spent on BDs this month. I just got in my shipment from ImportCDs. Combined with amazon purchases and discs I got for my birthday, I'm uncharacteristically way behind on my viewing. I don't think Cameron Diaz is naturally good looking. She's pretty scary without makeup! But I 100% agree with you about her in THE MASK...they cleaned her up real nice and she looks terrific in the film.

I saw that 20 BD Clint Eastwood set at HMV today. I didn't notice the price but I see it's $88 at amazon.ca. That's a great bargain IF you like most of those movies and you don't already own them. In my case I already own three or four of my favorite Eastwood films so it's just not worth it to me to buy the set. But you can't argue with that price if you like Eastwood and don't have those movies yet.

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:26 pm »
Here's a movie that, somehow, I've never seen. It's coming from Scorpion Releasing on October first and stars a number of genre legends like Vincent Price, John Carradine and Donald Pleasence.

And coming from Vinegar Syndrome:

And final artwork for HOUSE OF WAX 3D:

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:12 pm »
After Lifeforce and Help!, I now have Gregory's Girl to look forward to. It's only being released in the U.K. but hopefully it will be all region.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11633

I loved Bill Forsyth's films growing up. Can Local Hero be far behind? :)

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 13, 2013, 01:15:36 am »
After Lifeforce and Help!, I now have Gregory's Girl to look forward to. It's only being released in the U.K. but hopefully it will be all region.

When I first saw that news on Blu-ray.com, I thought it said "GEORGY GIRL" :) !. You  know how your mind plays tricks on you. I'm a huge Charlotte Rampling fan so I had a short-lived rush when I saw that announcement. But GREGORY'S GIRL is  terrific film too so that is good news...hope we can see it here.

Here's a bit of news to fill out this post. One of the great classic sci-fi horror films of all time has been announced for September 10. The original movie THE FLY from 1958 is being released.

This is the rather non-sensical UK art. Hopefully the North American art is different: