Author Topic: Hyundai service intervals  (Read 83215 times)

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
Hyundai service intervals
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
Is it me or do Hyundai Canada's servicing requirements appear a bit excessive ? Took my wife's 2010 Santa Fe for servicing on the weekend (basically an oil change). Hyundai requires the vehicle be serviced every 6000 kms (compared to 8k for our previous RAV 4 and Highlander, and 15k for my current VW). Here's the scheduled service breakdown as per my local dealer:

6,000 km = oil and filter change (cost 33.95)

12,000 km = oil change / service fuel injection / service front brakes / 'set up engine' (?) / rotate tires (cost 153.95)

18,000 km = oil change (cost 33.95)

24,000 km = oil change / service front and rear brakes / air filter / service fuel injection / 'set up engine' (cost 269.00)

At 48,000 km - replace spark plugs / service fuel injection / replace air & oil & gas filter / replace transmission fluid and engine coolant. (cost 470 dollars)

It's seems what you might gain from the initial competitive purchase pricing, you lose out in the maintenance.  ::)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Hyundai service intervals
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:30:30 am »
And what does the manual say?

I'm surprised about the spark plugs at 48k... that seems really quick. They only need to be replaced at 156k on the Sonata, and 160k on the Sportage V6.

Regarding the 6000km interval, the manual for our Sonata calls for oil changes every 12000km under normal driving conditions, and 4800km for severe usage... out of all the severe driving conditions listed, only "Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather" applies to most of us... Ill be sticking to a 6000km interval on the Sonata while under warranty... I'll probably extend that a little bit once we're out of warranty, if we still have the car by then!

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:22:56 pm »
You sure you're not getting ripped off by going by what the dealer says? I remember taking my car years ago to the GM dealer and what they were stating to me was not in my manual. In the manual you have the "normal" and "severe" schedule. I follow the "severe" schedule due to driving conditions and the climate.

Sounds like the dealer is padding the maintenance bill. Not unusual for a dealership. Go to an independent garage and have them follow the "severe" service intervals only.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:25 pm »
 Been there, done that. Lots of dealers pull this :censor: in a blatant effort to sqeeze more money out of their customers. >:(  Go by the service intervals specified in the car's maintenance manual and nothing else. If I were you, I'd tell the dealer to stick his 'service schedule' where the sun doesn't shine and that I probably won't be a return customer. They'll change their tune in a hurry, let me tell you.

'Set up engine?' ???  I'd love to hear the explanation for that!
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »
At 1,400 kilometers our Acura dealer said the oil and filter must be changed immediately else Acura will void the warranty. I later learned Acuras are delivered with special break-in oil that should remain in place for 5,000 kilometers.

At 14,000 kilometers the dealer quoted $90 for an inspection and service. Unauthorized services superfluous to Acura’s published maintenance schedule totaling $90 unexpectedly appeared on the invoice doubling the quoted price: motor oil additive $15, transmission additive $15, gasoline additive $15, door and window gasket silicone spray $15, brake rotor polishing disk $15, seat belt retractor lubricant $15.

I permit service agencies some billing latitude to avoid ugliness but this was  clearly way over the top. The invoice was reduced $50, to $130, on complaint. The service manager sniffed, “I thought you would appreciate the extra good care we are giving your car.”

The car is now serviced by an independent garage.

It's a very nice car, but we won't buy another Acura.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:56:42 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:15 am »
We also have a '10 Santa Fe and have been servicing at the dealer, and have not incurred any of the excessive charges you've encountered. I'll try and find the bill for our 12K service - I know the 6K service was approx. what you said (about $40 all-in) but when it came time for the 12K service, they waived a bunch of charges on our behalf, not sure what that was all about but our final bill was still close to $40. I'd pay close inspection to what they're doing, and when it comes time to replace your spark plugs get platinum-tipped plugs - usually good for 100K.

Offline moontune

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.tonymoon.com
  • Cars: Lots
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:02:08 pm »
156k for the plugs, you are getting ripped off. Call your salesperson and get everyone involved. I make sure my customers get looked after.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:04:22 pm »
156k for the plugs, you are getting ripped off. Call your salesperson and get everyone involved. I make sure my customers get looked after.

Care to elaborate?

Offline moontune

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • www.tonymoon.com
  • Cars: Lots
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 08:50:06 am »

Care to elaborate?

Do not really want to get into it as it always gets into a debate and I get the name calling underling salesperson etc. I just want to say that anyone who buys a vehicle should have an ongoing relationship with their dealership and their salesperson and to ask questions and get their service department and sales person involved if they are not at all happy.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:34 am »
But what's wrong with changing the plugs on my Sonata at 156k? Is that too long, too soon? What's the problem?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 09:25:27 am »

Care to elaborate?

Do not really want to get into it as it always gets into a debate and I get the name calling underling salesperson etc. I just want to say that anyone who buys a vehicle should have an ongoing relationship with their dealership and their salesperson and to ask questions and get their service department and sales person involved if they are not at all happy.

Is you Rob Ford?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:12:14 pm »
Time to put a stop to the Hyundai gravy train service intervals.   :)

Preetimus

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »
I purchased a 2009 Hyundai Elantra brand new. Since then the car has had nothing but problems (starting three days after purchse). Of course my "amazing" Hyundai warrenty covers none of this. Upon independent mechanic review I have found the dealership lied about what repair was needed! When I contacted Hyundai Corp they sent me an insulting stock letter, the jist: "So sad, to bad!" I've put over $3000 into my brand new car since 2009. I'm not sure how or why consumer reports believes in this sub-standard  "product"? Buyer beware here: Hyundai/Kia sounds like a good deal but like most things that sound to good to be true Hyundai is as well!

From my experience I'd never purchase from Hyundai again and I'll be making sure none of my friends and family make the same mistake as me.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:22 pm »
I purchased a 2009 Hyundai Elantra brand new. Since then the car has had nothing but problems (starting three days after purchse). Of course my "amazing" Hyundai warrenty covers none of this. Upon independent mechanic review I have found the dealership lied about what repair was needed! When I contacted Hyundai Corp they sent me an insulting stock letter, the jist: "So sad, to bad!" I've put over $3000 into my brand new car since 2009. I'm not sure how or why consumer reports believes in this sub-standard  "product"? Buyer beware here: Hyundai/Kia sounds like a good deal but like most things that sound to good to be true Hyundai is as well!

From my experience I'd never purchase from Hyundai again and I'll be making sure none of my friends and family make the same mistake as me.

Here we go again!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline caretaker007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 01:58:28 pm »

Might be purchasing a Tucson GL later this week (depending on how far I can get them to bend) my other choice will be a demo Rav 4..As for the service intervals I might take it back for the first 50k depending on cost  but I can change my own oil and plugs thank you very much.I always keep all oil/filters purchases along with my own maintenance book.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 12:36:13 pm »
Hyundai dealers like to push the "severe service" intervals in Canada.  The reward for doing twice the service is getting half the warranty of the US vehicles.
Go Hyundai, you know how to make money in Canada. ::)
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »
but I can change my own oil and plugs thank you very much.I always keep all oil/filters purchases along with my own maintenance book.

Technically, if your service intervals aren't in the Hyundai system you are SOL on catastrophic failures related to that service interval.  The (all) companies don't give a rat's *ss if you have receipts or a DIY service "journal".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:37:20 pm by articsteve »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 05:11:01 pm »
Hyundai dealers like to push the "severe service" intervals in Canada.  The reward for doing twice the service is getting half the warranty of the US vehicles.
Go Hyundai, you know how to make money in Canada. ::)

Few brands I know require "severe service" for Canada. They made the criteria such a way that regardless where you are in Canada, you fall under that.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 05:31:44 pm »
I thought many manufacturers consider Canada a "severe" environment. Mitsubishi do. Temp ranges of -30C to +40C surely need more attention than say UK maintenance schedules?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 05:34:27 pm »
I thought many manufacturers consider Canada a "severe" environment. Mitsubishi do. Temp ranges of -30C to +40C surely need more attention than say UK maintenance schedules?

Yeah, but how much different are Canadian conditions from say, Michigan, Maine, North Dakota?  They are given a choice.  Hellofa lot colder than Vancouver.