Author Topic: Inside Story: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6  (Read 48094 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Inside Story: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:03:29 am »

The V8-powered Hyundai Genesis sedan has a lot to offer for under $50,000 and should be making luxury automakers nervous, says interior reviewer Michael Clark.  The only things missing are heated rear seats and transmission paddle shifters, he says.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Inside Story: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:42:34 am »
Very strange use of language and witing style in this review. I struggled to get past the second paragraph.

"let your noddle warm" ?

"power window lifts occur" ?

"door pocket postal code" ?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:44:14 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

John MacDonald

thanks for the post
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:58:37 am »
Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:04:48 am by John MacDonald »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:19 am »
I drove the V6 and V8 models and all I can say is wow.  Great job by Hyundai.  My only wish for both models would be a firmer, sportier suspension as an option - but clearly, placing luxury first hasn't hurt Lexus much and I think this is where Hyundai is heading with the sedan.

I drove the V6 first and wondered why anyone would want the V8.  The six was strong, smooth and serene - emitting just a hint of an aggressive growl at high revs.  Then I drove the V8  - and understood the want.  :)  Soooo strong and even more smooth.  Effortless power, anytime.  If I were buying one, I'd find a way to swing the V8.  Shifts from the transmission were quick and seamless in both models when left in full auto mode, but I found manual shifting to be a bit of a let down as there was a noticeable delay in response.  No biggie, I suppose.  I would guess that 99% of auto drivers let the transmission do its thing 99% of the time.  The Maxima (CVT) and the Passat CC (DSG) both shifted much faster in manual mode.

Interiors are very good indeed, and equally good on both models if comparably equipped.  One disappointment is the limited interior colour choice as compared with the US.  We get the predictable black or tan.  They have a rich medium-dark brown that just absolutely rocks.

I don't know that it will be my next car - I still have a desire for a little more sport in my ride - but I can see one eventually, particularly if they do come up with a sport model down the road.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:20:35 am »
Just read Motor Trends long term write up on theirs, and they basically said it bit as a luxury car. Works ok as a competitor to an Accord or Camry, but it is not a game changer like the original LS400 was. They said it was a luxury sedan that people who have never driven a modern luxury sedan would like. They are looking forward to the second generation.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

dboone

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:51 am »
Paddle shifters?  Missing?  You're kidding right?  Those are a gimmick.  This car does not *need* a gimmick like that.  It's a luxury car, not a toy.  If that's all you can come with I guess it shows desperation to find flaws.  Seems like a pretty decent deal for the price if you are in the market for a luxury vehicle and don't feel like wasting all that extra cash on a name plate that reads "BMW."

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:31:36 am »
I've been a big fan of the Genesis Sedan since it was first introduced.  While I admit that I haven't driven one, I've sat in one a few times and each time I came away more impressed.  The attention to detail is fantastic and the fit and finished seemed to be spot on.  Unfortunately, (like John MacDonald already mentioned) many of those in the market for a luxury Sedan care more about the symbol that's on the hood than the vehicle itself.  IMO, $50k for this vehicle is a basement bargain for what you get and also considering what other vehicles in this segment cost. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 11:34:30 am »
My biggest problem with this car is that it looks way too much like a Mercedes.  If they really want to be taken seriously as a threat or leader, then how about showing some balls and designing something that doesn't borrow from your competition.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:53:43 am »
My biggest problem with this car is that it looks way too much like a Mercedes.  If they really want to be taken seriously as a threat or leader, then how about showing some balls and designing something that doesn't borrow from your competition.

Cloning Mercedes with their first entries into the luxury market didn't stop a new brand called "Lexus" from being taken seriously.

And nobody criticizes VW for a lack of "balls" in cloning the Mercedes CLS in their Passat CC.  It is generally lauded as one of their best-looking cars.

So while it might bother you, I'm not sure the derivative styling is necessarily will hurt Hyundai here.  After all, Acura showed lots of "balls" in designing the new TL ......  and.... well ....

Jaeger

Mitlov

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:20:41 pm »
I drove the V6 and V8 models and all I can say is wow.  Great job by Hyundai.  My only wish for both models would be a firmer, sportier suspension as an option - but clearly, placing luxury first hasn't hurt Lexus much and I think this is where Hyundai is heading with the sedan.

I would like to see a 3-Series or G37-sized sedan built with the chassis tuning of the Genesis Coupe but interior quality closer to the Genesis Sedan.  With the V6, matching 335i and G37 performance with (possibly) a sub-328i price, I don't see how it could possibly fail.  And BMW, Audi, Merc, Lexus, Infiniti...they'd all be choking on their breakfasts

Dan

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:30:44 pm »
Though it may look like the Mercedes in some ways I have wonder how great the next generation will look if the new Sonata made such huge leaps with their 2010 model. And I too agree with everyone here that this is a great car for a great price. As for people who want to pay more for the logo on the hood or grill by all means go for it but Hyundai has a very special luxury car here and they did a great job with it and a lot of people are buying them. Hyundai is on a roll and good for them wish more manufacturers would follow.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:40:14 pm »

I would like to see a 3-Series or G37-sized sedan built with the chassis tuning of the Genesis Coupe but interior quality closer to the Genesis Sedan.  With the V6, matching 335i and G37 performance with (possibly) a sub-328i price, I don't see how it could possibly fail.  And BMW, Audi, Merc, Lexus, Infiniti...they'd all be choking on their breakfasts

I'm all for that.

Jaeger

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:39 pm »

Cloning Mercedes with their first entries into the luxury market didn't stop a new brand called "Lexus" from being taken seriously.

And nobody criticizes VW for a lack of "balls" in cloning the Mercedes CLS in their Passat CC.  It is generally lauded as one of their best-looking cars.

So while it might bother you, I'm not sure the derivative styling is necessarily will hurt Hyundai here.  After all, Acura showed lots of "balls" in designing the new TL ......  and.... well ....

Jaeger

I tend to agree with both of you guys. However I think Hyundai introduced this car to "test the waters" and see what the response would be. If they sell enough of them and they build a second gen car I would suspect they'll take some more styling risks. By making it look like other successful luxury sedans they can at least assume that if they don't sell it wasn't the styling that chased people away. Whereas if they went with some outrageous appearance people might have been leary of buying a "luxury" vehicle from a company that has never been associated with this segment AND that had such questionable styling. This way its a bit more "safe".
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:01:22 pm »

Jaeger

I tend to agree with both of you guys. However I think Hyundai introduced this car to "test the waters" and see what the response would be. If they sell enough of them and they build a second gen car I would suspect they'll take some more styling risks. By making it look like other successful luxury sedans they can at least assume that if they don't sell it wasn't the styling that chased people away. Whereas if they went with some outrageous appearance people might have been leary of buying a "luxury" vehicle from a company that has never been associated with this segment AND that had such questionable styling. This way its a bit more "safe".

The luxury market is very particular, I think you don't want to distance yourself too much from the competition right out of the gate. Hyundai is very content in picking up the other builders sloppy seconds. Who knows what the public impression would have been if they had aggressively design this car. Now when it drives by people are like: "Was that a Mercedes? I didn't see a badge up front, looked good anyway." No badge up front was another good decision on Hyundai part.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 01:08:17 pm »
The reality is that the luxury market is all about image not content and this is what Hyundai does not have. As long as this car (and the upcoming Equus) will be sold as a Hyundai, my prediction is that they will not put a dent in the luxury market.

Do you think any executive outside South Korea would agree to be driven around in a luxurious Hyundai Equus? I highly doubt it.

Mitlov

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 01:22:32 pm »
The reality is that the luxury market is all about image not content and this is what Hyundai does not have. As long as this car (and the upcoming Equus) will be sold as a Hyundai, my prediction is that they will not put a dent in the luxury market.

Do you think any executive outside South Korea would agree to be driven around in a luxurious Hyundai Equus? I highly doubt it.

The senior partner at my law firm purchased a Hyundai Genesis sedan.  For him, buying a luxury car was about the quiet, comfortable ride and the great interior, not the badge.  Maybe people like him are a minority among luxury buyers.  But so long as Hyundai makes a profit off each sale, I doubt Hyundai cares that their sales numbers won't surpass the Merc E-Class.  I doubt the people who actually buy the Genesis Sedan will care either.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »
My major issue with this car is the lack of interior lighting.  At night you wouldn't know if you were sitting in a Genesis or an Accent :(

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52:46 pm »
The senior partner at my law firm purchased a Hyundai Genesis sedan.  For him, buying a luxury car was about the quiet, comfortable ride and the great interior, not the badge.  Maybe people like him are a minority among luxury buyers.  But so long as Hyundai makes a profit off each sale, I doubt Hyundai cares that their sales numbers won't surpass the Merc E-Class.  I doubt the people who actually buy the Genesis Sedan will care either.

I remember you had mentioned this before, but this doesn't change the way the world works. Many mainstream cars offer all that so he wasn't actually after a luxury car (which includes a luxury badge).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:57:28 pm by carcrazy »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 02:05:41 pm »

I remember you had mentioned this before, but this doesn't change the way the world works. Many mainstream cars offer all that so he wasn't actually after a luxury car (which includes a luxury badge).

What mainstream cars have all of the features that the Genesis has, including RWD and a 375HP V8 for $50k?  Also IMHO, a luxury badge is not the only criteria that make a luxury car. 

Mitlov

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 02:06:12 pm »

Mainstream cars most certainly do not offer the same level of refinement and luxury that the Genesis Sedan does.  It's on an entirely different level from your average CamCord.

While many people who buy luxury cars just want the prestige, others actually want the luxury itself and don't care about the prestige.  The Genesis Sedan offers the luxurious interior and luxurious driving experience of an E-Class or Lexus GS in a way that a Camry XLE simply doesn't.