Author Topic: Mini me .... Please!  (Read 13746 times)

Ipaq

Mini me .... Please!
« on: June 26, 2005, 12:50:39 am »
Hi all, I am interested in leasing a Mini Cooper. Went to the dealership and test drove one today, and very impressived with this little car. Does anyone with any experience with this car? Is there any discount on the car? My impression from the sales guy is a NO. Thanks in advance.

Also tested the Echo Hatch, Mazda3 today, the wife and I both liked the Mini the best. We prefer a "cute" 2 door hatch for daily commute to work, there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choices.

Did search the forum, buy nothing related came up.

(Message edited by ipaq on June 26, 2005)

Powman

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 12:53:39 am »
No experience with the Mini personally, but my neighbour borrowed one for a weekend.  He loved how well it handled.  Not surprising given how low it rides.  I also saw Jay Leno doing donuts with a Mini on TV.

Avtoller

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 01:24:40 am »
No personal experience (although I had two Austin Minis). Supposed to be almost as much fun as the original and somewhat civilized to boot. There have been significant reliability issues so far, so I would recommend researching that area rather extensively. You might wish to check on the Edmunds.com Mini boards for more info.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 01:37:10 am »
Friends of mine in Calgary just got a Cooper S John Cooper Works Edition Mini and are loving it so far. Most of the reliability issues were, I believe, with the 2003 models and I'm told most of the bugs have been worked out now. I may a chance to drive my friends in August, but I'm told they are a lot of fun to drive.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Mr_meow

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 09:37:16 am »
I had the very first mini 850CC. boy is was great, I miss it still, mine you it was my first car.

This one is like Mini BMW. so I've heard, check out the review.

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/segmentviewerStandard.php?episode=209&searchSta tus=1&keyword=mini coper&segment=2&keywordcall=&segtitle=

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 11:15:06 am »
A friend has a Mini cooper classic with sport package. Can't stop raving about it. He says it's the best car he's ever owned. I haven't heard him say anything negative about reliability. Althought he keeps mentioning of a concstant burnt out headlight. That's just minor though, all be it, frustrating.

Oh, and you didn't mention the Smart car. They don't get much cuter than that. Also maybe a new Beetle? Can't think of any other two door hatches... well, there's the Mercedes-Benz C230 coupe, but I don't know what your price range is like.

Avtoller

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 11:21:48 am »
Consumer Reports has moved the Mini up to below average in reliability - up from disaster area, so it is very likely that they HAVE solved many of the issues present in the early models.

Brick

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 11:23:56 am »
The only thing I would add is to consider how the car will fit into your future. If you two intend to have a family you might want to consider something more practical. If practicality is not an issue then get out there and pick one up.

A4_tom

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 12:16:08 pm »
There aren't many C-Coupe available in Mercedes Canada. They are just getting rid of all the stocks on the lot until it discontinued. Beetle and Mini are the only choices for 2-door hatches.

Ipaq

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 12:22:48 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Bullit_Blue, we didn’t think about the Benz Coupe, will take a look at it next weekend. As for the VW Bug, we tested it, and didn’t really like its driving characteristics, the depth of the dash is a turn-off for us. Besides, the hatch is more like a coupe with fold down seats, the height drops downward at the tail end. Does cab forward mean move the windshield forward?

We didn’t really plan a budget for this. It will be our 3rd car. My new job calls for me to visit clients 2 days out of the week to improve customer relationships. I have a choice of a company car or car allowance plus mileage.  I figure it is safer and more fun to drive my own car. Kind of pointless to put winters on a company car.

The wife will use the Mini as her daily commute, and the hatch is perfect for shopping at Ikea and garden centers. The lease payment will be pay for by the car allowance. If needed, we will chip in more, since we don’t have any outstanding debts on our cars now. Unfortunately, the car will have to be an automatic, the wife dislike manual shift in traffic. The F1 pedals were neat, and it worked well in our test drive, didn’t feel slow compare with the manual car. We are still deciding which model to get, Cooper or S. We pretty know what options we want. If the car is ordered now and it will be here in September or so.  

The first impression of the Mini was awesome. When you sit inside, it just screams “go, go, drive me”. First word the wife said after driving the Mini were, “Go Cart”. Of the cars we had driven the last little while, including the RX-8, 330Ci, G35 Coupe, the Mini has a way more SPH (smiles per hour). That pretty much sums it up. If the car is good, keep it after the lease. If not, hand it back. Very simple decision at the end.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 08:39:25 am »
Read the Review on this site of the NEW MIATA..it may fit your needs.....seeing it is just for you to visit clients and not as a Family Hauler...also has paddle shift...and ya can't beat a convertible(even in Canada) especially as you are comfortably employed and in yer 20's.....Mini..2nd place if I was in yer shoes(their convertible is a NOT as refined IMHO)......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 08:59:10 am »
Hey didn't I do a review of this car?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 09:00:20 am »

Ipaq

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 10:21:25 am »
Thanks, James. Very well done. BTW, who is this Jeff person? He sounded cute and adorable (in size ). Can I take him home in my pocket to play with my puppies?

Safristi, we like convertibles, but don't really have the need to own one. The open air driving fixes can be obtained by weekend rentals at Hertz. The car has to be a bit on the pratical side, ie, room for 2 puppies, shooping at Ikea and garden centers. Besides, the wife makes the decision on this one, it is her car, whatever she desires.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 11:40:08 am »
Sorry Ipaq, my cute and adorable services are very expensive.  :-)

Incidentally, you may wish to check out this thread as well (if you haven't already)

http://www.canadiandriver.com/discus/messages/1496/2820.html
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

A4_tom

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 12:17:12 pm »
Compare the CVT in Cooper and Steptronic in Cooper S, latter feel more responsive and reassuring. The CVT in Mini has always been felt sluggish and unresponsive, while the auto tranny in S feels like different universe. If price isn't an issue, MCS Steptronic would be the engine of choice.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2005, 01:44:47 pm »
@ the Jeff comments!

The Mini was introduced with quality numbers that stood alongside the Hummer as the absolute worst car in the industry. Many little gremlins. However, BMW/Mini has worked many of these issues out and the cars are much better now. Don't buy one from a few years ago, but the new ones are pretty good and if they fit your lifestyle are a very stylish, fun to drive, and big-featured car to enjoy and be proud of.

With the dogs and shopping, alternatives I would recommend are the upcoming Benz B-Class (probably starting around $30,500-33Gs) http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/06b-class.htm which should be fun to drive and the Audi A3 (just under $33Gs) http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jm/06a3.htm which has the awesome 6-spd DSG manual-with-automatic-mode transmission. The Mazda MX-5 Miata is another excellent choice.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2005, 02:14:18 pm »
Even with the hatch, the Mini's practicality is very limited. It is INCREDIBLY tiny and cramped.

Saint11

Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2005, 02:33:19 pm »
i have a friend whos 6'2 240 pounds who fits into the mini just fine. front seat ne wayz

Offline Wetson

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-3
  • Moi
    • View Profile
    • My real estate website
  • Cars: 2019 Acura TLX SH-AWD Elite, 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet
Mini me .... Please!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2005, 03:03:09 pm »
Ipaq... go into Lemons and Cherries and read about my experience.  

I can't knock MINI as a brand since I'm sure they've ironed out lots of the bugs.  It's an okay commuter but good luck trying to fit anything bigger than a microwave in the back with the seats folded down.  Not much room.  It holds about 5-6 grocery bags with the  back seat up but only if you don't have anything that can get squished.  The handling is great but the ride is a little to stiff.  Next time you take it for a test drive, don't let the Sales guy tell you where to go.  Scout out some rough roads before you go in and take them in the MINI.  When we bought ours we didn't do this.  I wished we had.   I wouldn't recommend this vehicles as a sole household vehicle.  I took it from Toronto to Ottawa and was I ever sorry.  It's great for 1 or 2 hours max. but after that things get a little cramped.  

Good luck and keep us posted.