Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068301 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3420 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:32 pm »
Thanks quad - definitely going to watch that. Any more to recommend other than the Lemond / Hinault story?

Off the top of my head....

A Sunday in Hell (might find it on Youtube)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193171/

The Flying Scotsman
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472268/

And an animated one...

The Triplets of Belleville
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286244/

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3421 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:13 pm »
My old Giro helmet was just that... Old. After 5 years, I figure it was time for a new one. Just picked this up:

Nice - my old helmet was ancient as well and was looking at Giro' as a replacement, but found the Bontrager's fit my large melon better.
Bought one of these.  Bontrager Starvos:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3422 on: May 22, 2015, 09:46:50 pm »
Going for a good half-day ride tomorrow with a group incl a couple good friends. No trail bike, but I felt it would be okay to splurge on a rental from the bike shop. Picked out the Devinci Spartan. For you patriots, c'est fait au Canada ;)

Had some time afterwards to get in a short ride at the local trails. Man, it is like renting a BMW 3er for driving. Forgot how fun it is to have a trail bike that I can throw downhill without fear yet it was easier to climb than my very-old hardtail. Wasn't tired at all after 50 minutes roundtrip......."I could do more!"

Tomorrow's going to be very fun. Probably moreso on the bike than the car.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:48:32 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #3423 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »
Going for a good half-day ride tomorrow with a group incl a couple good friends. No trail bike, but I felt it would be okay to splurge on a rental from the bike shop. Picked out the Devinci Spartan. For you patriots, c'est fait au Canada ;)

Had some time afterwards to get in a short ride at the local trails. Man, it is like renting a BMW 3er for driving. Forgot how fun it is to have a trail bike that I can throw downhill without fear yet it was easier to climb than my very-old hardtail. Wasn't tired at all after 50 minutes roundtrip......."I could do more!"

Tomorrow's going to be very fun. Probably moreso on the bike than the car.

What did you think of the Spartan overall? It's very similar to my Troy, but with a touch more travel and a slacker geometry.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3424 on: May 22, 2015, 10:16:58 pm »
I will be able to give a better review tomorrow; this afternoon I just rode my usual loop halfway up/down the mountain at the local forest. Ultimately though it is as many say: the type of bike will depend on what/where you ride. That said, the line between AM and Enduro is ever blurred. Although I ride many disciplines, my love is for DH so I am partial to the slacker geometry at 66° and my legs don't complain much no matter what.

You all have figured out that I live in the Appalachians so with the rougher, less groomed/wilder terrain and greater elevation changes, the Spartan shines, as will any Enduro-style bike without compromise on the pedalling side. However, if I was in Raleigh and the Piedmont area where most trails can be done with 140-150mm of travel, even a hardtail, then the Spartan is too much bike. Certainly all my friends in that area want a 160mm Enduro bike with a slack geometry but it is with confidence that I say you wouldn't get much out add'l benefit out of it.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: May 23, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »
Quad/Snowy/Jaeger - how was the gravel grind?

I caught some karma for not coming, or rather, my brother did. We made it about 30 minutes into the super technical trails at Hilton Falls when I heard a loud "snap" ahead. Somehow, 2 full links on my brother's chain decided to disintegrate. With no way to fix it, we just hiked out. Turns out it takes a bit longer while walking... Made for a nice 1.5 hour hike.

Oh well, gave us an excuse for an early lunch. I'm going to try and head out to Durham Forest tomorrow morning.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: May 23, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »

I caught some karma for not coming, or rather, my brother did. We made it about 30 minutes into the super technical trails at Hilton Falls when I heard a loud "snap" ahead. Somehow, 2 full links on my brother's chain decided to disintegrate. With no way to fix it, we just hiked out. Turns out it takes a bit longer while walking... Made for a nice 1.5 hour hike.

Oh well, gave us an excuse for an early lunch. I'm going to try and head out to Durham Forest tomorrow morning.

Ask us tomorrow as the ride is on Sunday ;) Bring your brother if you want, got a nice selection of beer for post ride.

Sucks about the chain. Been there before. Why does it always happen at the bottom of a hill or at the furthest point from the car.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: May 23, 2015, 10:18:19 pm »

Ask us tomorrow as the ride is on Sunday ;) Bring your brother if you want, got a nice selection of beer for post ride.

Sucks about the chain. Been there before. Why does it always happen at the bottom of a hill or at the furthest point from the car.

Apparently I need to learn to read! Can't make it tomorrow, unfortunately. Have fun, though!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3428 on: May 24, 2015, 08:14:08 pm »

Sucks about the chain.  :-[

Other than the final climb which really kicked my ass, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day.

I decided to go with the road bike, and hitched a ride with Snowy.

Most of the trail surface looked like this, so my bike wasn't shaken to pieces by any stretch.

We maintained a pretty good clip both outbound and on the return.  Some really nice scenery along the Grand River.

We concluded the ride with beer, lemonade and freshly baked scones and cookies courtesy of Mrs. Quad.  Should have taken a pic of those!

I want another crack at that damned hill at the end, so we need to do this again.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: May 25, 2015, 09:26:55 am »
Thanks for posting the pictures. :thumbup:

I want another crack at that damned hill at the end, so we need to do this again.

We could always organize a hill repeats day. I have 4 similar climbs that we can use.  ;D

Took pictures of some of the beer and my dirty wheel although the picture really didn't show how dirty it really is.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3430 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:56 am »
Thanks for posting the pictures. :thumbup:

We could always organize a hill repeats day. I have 4 similar climbs that we can use;D

Took pictures of some of the beer and my dirty wheel although the picture really didn't show how dirty it really is.

4 of those would freaking kill me.  :-[  I do understand though, that to get better at hills I need to ride more hills.  And drop weight.  :(

I'm going to attempt that one 60k-plus ride I did with you and Snowy - you know the one where the lady pulled up beside me in her car to ask if I was okay?  :o :rofl2:  Some pretty decent climbs on that loop.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3431 on: May 25, 2015, 09:42:29 am »
Awesome ride guys and I dig the gravel grinding.....especially those made to order freshly baked apple fritters at the Brown Dog Cafe  :drool:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: May 25, 2015, 09:48:51 am »
4 of those would freaking kill me.  :-[  I do understand though, that to get better at hills I need to ride more hills.  And drop weight.  :(

It never gets easier....you just get faster.

Awesome ride guys and I dig the gravel grinding.....especially those made to order freshly baked apple fritters at the Brown Dog Cafe  :drool:

Next time I'm getting it with ice cream though.

Two more rides we should try to organize this year.

100 km ride from Burlington - Niagara Falls. Take the train back.

Ravenna (which is close to Collingwood). I have lots of loops created up there that everybody could ride.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: May 25, 2015, 10:05:22 am »

It never gets easier....you just get faster.

Next time I'm getting it with ice cream though.

Two more rides we should try to organize this year.

100 km ride from Burlington - Niagara Falls. Take the train back.

Ravenna (which is close to Collingwood). I have lots of loops created up there that everybody could ride.

I really want to do this one.  Would be a lot of fun with a good sized group.  Probably the only way I get to a metric century would be with a group.  On my own, after about 70km, I feel like really want to be doing something else.  :-X

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: May 25, 2015, 02:55:46 pm »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3435 on: May 25, 2015, 03:00:22 pm »
I want a good one with maps and GPS...why would GLONASS be important?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3436 on: May 25, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »

Other than the final climb which really kicked my ass, it was a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Hills suck.   :P
Bit surprised you guys had no issues with the road bikes on that trail?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: May 25, 2015, 04:08:10 pm »

Hills suck.   :P
Bit surprised you guys had no issues with the road bikes on that trail?

At first I thought it would be a bad idea but then I renumbered to back when I was a teen....... and where we would take out road bikes and thought no problem  :)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: May 25, 2015, 04:15:13 pm »
Snowman had his bike set to gravel grinder spec with 28mm rubber, but mine was on stock 25s and the 4th guy in our group was riding a seriously kickass Willier road bike with standard rubber as well.  Zero issues.  Two real stregths of the Pinarello are the magic carpet smooth ride and rock solid stability.  Both were appreciated.  Quad was on his rack-and-pannier converted commuter and that thing looked more than ready for the rough (ish) stuff.  Patrick's mountain bike would have been all, like, "Wake me up when this is over, dude."

When I was wondering whether my roadbike was up to a long gravel ride, I remembered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: May 25, 2015, 04:17:09 pm »
I want a good one with maps and GPS...why would GLONASS be important?

Mine has maps and GPS, but lacks heart rate and cadence.  :(