Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI; Day 1  (Read 20512 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI; Day 1
« on: July 29, 2015, 06:00:46 am »
A grown-up boy racer?

Read More...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:31:22 am »
Lucky you, getting a GTI for a week!  That's a lot of $$ for that car but I suspect it will be totally worth it for its legions of fans.  These are great track cars despite the FWD!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:30 am »
Taking delivery of my new Golf today, for 10k$ less than this GTI. Would have loved a GTI, but 10k$+premium fuel required = beyond the budget cap. I still get a DSG, 5 doors, a panoramic roof and, of course, 236 lbs-ft of torque  ;) Would have loved those cloth plaid seats instead of the Vtex!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:00:58 am »
James, this is confusing:

Also new for 2015 is a new infotainment system or in Volkswagen speak a new MIB. This new system has a faster processor, better graphics and more features. Thank heavens, because the old system was unbearably slow, it seemed like at times I reached my destination before the thing booted up… it actually did do that once in the winter.

To what system are you comparing it to? The MkVI GTI actually had a larger, higher resolution screen (6.5" vs 5.8"). The '16 Golf and GTI are getting the new MIB II system which is 6.5" and has a much better resolution and is much faster.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:16:35 am »
Taking delivery of my new Golf today, for 10k$ less than this GTI. Would have loved a GTI, but 10k$+premium fuel required = beyond the budget cap. I still get a DSG, 5 doors, a panoramic roof and, of course, 236 lbs-ft of torque  ;) Would have loved those cloth plaid seats instead of the Vtex!

Congrats, I have also been looking at TDI's since VW has put discounts on it. I prefer the Golf but the wife likes the Jetta (sedan) better....still working on that.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:38:42 am »
James, this is confusing:

Also new for 2015 is a new infotainment system or in Volkswagen speak a new MIB. This new system has a faster processor, better graphics and more features. Thank heavens, because the old system was unbearably slow, it seemed like at times I reached my destination before the thing booted up… it actually did do that once in the winter.

To what system are you comparing it to? The MkVI GTI actually had a larger, higher resolution screen (6.5" vs 5.8"). The '16 Golf and GTI are getting the new MIB II system which is 6.5" and has a much better resolution and is much faster.

Now I'm confused.  This system seems faster, VW says it's the new system...  There are 2 versions of the MIB II, this smaller screen and a larger 8-inch screen which is not yet available.   I'll get clarification.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:41:19 am by wing »

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:07:47 am »
There's no "base" trim in 5 door GTI like there is in the 3 door.   5 Door autobahn starts at $32,895, this is a performance pack autobahn with $35,190 as start price where you can add DSG/leather/tech.

Congrats on the new car! I've never seen them discount the TDIs like they are doing now.  So good time to buy.  BTW, premium is only recommended on the GTI, not required.  It will run fine in most weather conditions on 87 just like the 1.8T.   

I would be very interested to hear PP impressions from the reviewer.  Have you driven the non PP GTI in the past?  Since this car has a LSD it should handle better.  Also does DCC transform the car enough from comfort to sport etc?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:10:15 am by greengs »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:11 am »
I could be really happy with this car, I suspect.  With a stick, though.  I can't help but wish it were just a bit more visually distinctive from the workaday Golf, though.  No need to go all batsh!t boy-racer, but a touch more aggression would be a plus in my books.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:58:15 am »
but ... +premium fuel required
This has been put to rest.  It's not required and barely affects performance.

I still think this car is about $5k overpriced given that the WRX can be had with AWD for cheaper.  $37k on the WRX gets you the automatic Sport Tech with 48+hp.

It seems like a really, really nice car, but I'd be all over the Golf R, especially if it were $37k (the Subie wouldn't stand a chance...but as it stands, the Subie is still what, $8k cheaper than the R?)

By the way, James,

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 11:11:50 am »

I still think this car is about $5k overpriced given that the WRX can be had with AWD for cheaper.  $37k on the WRX gets you the automatic Sport Tech with 48+hp.

It seems like a really, really nice car, but I'd be all over the Golf R, especially if it were $37k (the Subie wouldn't stand a chance...but as it stands, the Subie is still what, $8k cheaper than the R?)

Keep in mind that the GTI actually has quite a bit more than 210/220 hp.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:31:28 am »

8K difference is between a base WRX and Golf R?  The two aren't comparable at all.  Golf R is pretty much loaded even in base trim.  Also it has more power than WRX.  I think better comparison is a tech STI (similar power/performance) which is more expensive than loaded Golf R so looking at it that way the R is a decent deal. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:40:22 am »

By the way, James,

Lol

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:59:41 am »

8K difference is between a base WRX and Golf R?  The two aren't comparable at all.  Golf R is pretty much loaded even in base trim.  Also it has more power than WRX.  I think better comparison is a tech STI (similar power/performance) which is more expensive than loaded Golf R so looking at it that way the R is a decent deal.
$37k isn't the base WRX.  Base WRX is $29,995, whereas $37k is literally loaded with every possible feature (incl the auto tranny).

Correct, the Golf R is rated at 292hp vs the WRX's 268hp, but the STI is 6MT only and therefore out of my concern. But read the bolded area again - I would be ALL over the R (as the better car) if it were the same price as the AWD WRX, but it's not...it's $8k more comparably-spec'd and to me that's simply not worth it.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »
I'm really interested in this day-to-day review, as it is one of only a handful of cars that would satisfy my wife and me.
My wife wants a smaller vehicle with  4 doors, very good viability, and it must have an automatic transmission.  I want something that I will enjoy driving and can take it to the odd track day event.
The only other car that that I can think of that comes close is the new WRX, with the CVT transmissions (which I'm not fond of).
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:35 pm »
I'm really interested in this day-to-day review, as it is one of only a handful of cars that would satisfy my wife and me.
My wife wants a smaller vehicle with  4 doors, very good viability, and it must have an automatic transmission.  I want something that I will enjoy driving and can take it to the odd track day event.
The only other car that that I can think of that comes close is the new WRX, with the CVT transmissions (which I'm not fond of).
I would say go testdrive it and satisfy yourself, but we all know that you'll never find one to testdrive...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »

$37k isn't the base WRX.  Base WRX is $29,995, whereas $37k is literally loaded with every possible feature (incl the auto tranny).

Correct, the Golf R is rated at 292hp vs the WRX's 268hp, but the STI is 6MT only and therefore out of my concern. But read the bolded area again - I would be ALL over the R (as the better car) if it were the same price as the AWD WRX, but it's not...it's $8k more comparably-spec'd and to me that's simply not worth it.

Depends what is important to you and an owner and driver

http://www.motortrend.ca/en/enthusiast/feature/consumer/1503-2015-subaru-wrx-sti-vs-2015-volkswagen-golf-r/

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:29 pm »
Ok the MIB system is not the MIB II but it is faster than the system in the previous Golf which was really bad.  So yeah my statement is okay as long as you don't know MIB II is coming...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
Ok the MIB system is not the MIB II but it is faster than the system in the previous Golf which was really bad.  So yeah my statement is okay as long as you don't know MIB II is coming...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBLgEx6svA
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBLgEx6svA

I'll watch that later.

I have just come back from the dealership with my new toy. My sales rep (nice blonde btw) gave me a full demo, and the interface seems pretty quick, and there are tons of options and settings in there. With 8 speakers even in "base" configuration, it sounds much nicer than the Jetta's. I know it's a new unit for the Golf VII, not the same as in other models.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 01:25:37 pm »

Congrats, I have also been looking at TDI's since VW has put discounts on it. I prefer the Golf but the wife likes the Jetta (sedan) better....still working on that.

New 2015, not demo, Comfortline TDI with Convenience package and DSG, 27k$ + tax. Msrp is over 30k$. I was looking at TSIs at first, but this no-haggle end of inventory car was just too good to pass on. Right colour, and cheaper than TSI.  8)

Will Show & Shine when pics are taken!