Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Ford Edge EcoBoost  (Read 11278 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Ford Edge EcoBoost
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:41 am »

The optional turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine 'is actually quieter and more refined than the V6,' says Peter Bleakney.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Ford Edge EcoBoost
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:13:37 am »
it would be interesting to know what percentage of Edge's are sold as FWD in Canada. Not having the Eco boost available as AWD seems very strange to me.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43:55 am »
I was excited to see the title as I thought it was the 3.5L ecoboost and was disappointed that it was only the 2.0L.

Doesn't the v6 ecoboost make more sense in the Sport model, or are there fears about competing with the Flex ecoboost?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:48 am »
it would be interesting to know what percentage of Edge's are sold as FWD in Canada. Not having the Eco boost available as AWD seems very strange to me.

It would - when I was shopping last year & looking at Edge's, it was all but impossible to find FWD versions

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:11:48 am »
I was waiting to see how  many comments it would take until this thread got turned into another FWD/AWD controversy...it took all of the first comment to get there. I digress.

On the topic of the FWD 2.0 EcoBoost, it sounds like the engine is a good one but I don't know if consumers will grasp the concept of paying more for a 'smaller' engine, even if it is advantageous in regards to smoothness and efficiency. Furthermore, while fuel efficiency gains are respectable, I would be cautious about a turbocharged engine's reliability compared to the N/A 3.5L V6. Maybe that's just an old-school mentality on my part, turbos' have come a long way, but if I was in the market for this vehicle I think I would stick with the tried-and-true V6.

It's great that Ford has this option on the table. If the Edge were smaller and lighter I think it would be more successful, I'm not sure the midsize SUV mindset is there yet. Maybe I'm wrong. As a side note, I'd love to see this engine in a CX-5!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:17:02 am »
i like the FWD model...after seeing the superior system used by Subaru, if you truly want AWD, it just doesn't make sense to get anything but their set up...everything else is a patchwork/compromise.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:52 am »
I agreed, if you really want AWD get a Subaru, or something you can select 4wd low/high.  As these CUV are commonly referred to as glorified wagons, AWD is not really necessary.  Never needed it on wagons, Mazda6, VW Golf, Ford Taurus, etc.  Manufacturers are being forced to increase fuel economy, and the weight of AWD adds up.  And another up side, less maintenance.  Good on Ford for moving this ecoboost quickly across the fleet.  I wonder how the durability of these type of engines compare against a naturally aspirated one?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:31:10 am »
I was waiting to see how  many comments it would take until this thread got turned into another FWD/AWD controversy

No controversy here - when I was looking at the Edge, i didn't really want AWD - obviously i'm in the minority in that thinking since 90%+ that were on the lot were AWD.
Most people when shopping a CUV/SUV feel its gotta have AWD, so Ford is happy to oblige - no doubt their bottom line is padded a little more with these too.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:14 am »
if you truly want AWD, it just doesn't make sense to get anything but their set up...everything else is a patchwork/compromise.

Disagree completely.  While the Subaru system may be better,  a typical slip and grip will still do what 99% of their buyers ask of it.  I was blown away by how well a friends CR-V did in a snow covered field on A/S tires. 

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:39:58 am »
I wouldnt say that its Subaru or nothing, the Audi Quattro system for instance is a fantastic system. My biggest complaint about any of the CUVs is about the lack of a selectable 2wd option, I dont see the point of having the AWD on all the time. As far as awd/fwd, almost everyone of these I have seen has the awd/four wheel drive badge. I had one of these as a rental and the biggest pain for me was the ride, front seat comfort and visibility. The couple of muddy roads I traversed the AWD did ok but the transmission was infuriating, I couldnt believe that everytime I went to accelarate the transmission took SO long to downshift and then in rush hour traffic, the bloody thing kept hunting and shifting very harshly. I cant understand why someone would want a vehicle of this size and in this class and not get the AWD option, might as well get a minivan and save yourself the cash.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:40:22 am »
Right now our 2011 sel awd edge get 10.8l/100km (11.2 high - 10.4 low)(aprox 60/40 mix ) with no glasss roof(heavy) and 17 inch snow tires.

With a 4000lb weight and a 280 hp engine it is nice to have AWD ( no wheel slippage ) taking off on gravel or pavement but if you drive more conservatively it would not be a problem in the edge. I have never tried the FWD edge with traction contol but our maxima with 255 hp spins like crazy when pushed. The edge does not spin at all. My wife no longer ruts up our steep gravel driveway.

The only thing that kind of bugs me about the eco boost edge is, if it ia all about gas mileage why do they put 19" rims on it. Shouldn't be 18"ers or even 17'ers
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:43:14 am by Factger »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
Disagree completely.  While the Subaru system may be better,  a typical slip and grip will still do what 99% of their buyers ask of it.  I was blown away by how well a friends CR-V did in a snow covered field on A/S tires.
a slip and grip system is marginally better (if at all) than a regular FWD vehicle...throw some quality winter tires on on regular FWD version, and it likely would have been just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRniF4JQN2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21lwEYY-D0

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:44:26 am »
if you truly want AWD, it just doesn't make sense to get anything but their set up...everything else is a patchwork/compromise.

A freind of mine had an older CR-V she used as a winter beater. That thing with a set of winter tires was absolutely a tank, we went to BC a few times during the winter and Ill be damned if that little truck put a wheel wrong. Now as an offroader, Im not saying takes the wifes escape and try some rockcrawling, but between FWD and slip and grip, Ill take the slip and grip every time.

Offline Pleem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Equinox
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:56:44 am »
On the topic of the FWD 2.0 EcoBoost, it sounds like the engine is a good one but I don't know if consumers will grasp the concept of paying more for a 'smaller' engine, even if it is advantageous in regards to smoothness and efficiency. Furthermore, while fuel efficiency gains are respectable, I would be cautious about a turbocharged engine's reliability compared to the N/A 3.5L V6. Maybe that's just an old-school mentality on my part, turbos' have come a long way, but if I was in the market for this vehicle I think I would stick with the tried-and-true V6.

:iagree:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:59:43 am »

a slip and grip system is marginally better (if at all) than a regular FWD vehicle..

You have zero idea what you're talking about.  Those videos do not represent what most people want in their AWD.  They want to climb the hill from the cottage,  get to the ski hill safely and not get stuck in a parking lot.  In these scenarios slip and grip are vastly superior to FWD.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »

a slip and grip system is marginally better (if at all) than a regular FWD vehicle..

You have zero idea what you're talking about.  Those videos do not represent what most people want in their AWD.  They want to climb the hill from the cottage,  get to the ski hill safely and not get stuck in a parking lot.  In these scenarios slip and grip are vastly superior to FWD.

In any situation where a low friction surface is encountered, slip and grip is better than fwd. Traction control is great and all, but having all tires turning is better. Before you say anything, Im talking about them having comparable tires. No one is taking their CUVs offroad, but a rutted, snow covered road like the way our street was last winter, an awd vehicle will do way, way better than a fwd one.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »
Just to commend on the whole lots of AWDs in the dealer lots.

I traded in our V6 FWD Tucson this past weekend for a new Odyssey and when we were "discussing" what it was worth he was saying the fact that its a V6 will "hurt" it on the used car lot but he said at least its not AWD. Now I don't know whether or not he was just trying to get me lower on what I wanted for it or if there's some truth to it. He said in Toronto people want 4cyl and FWD as they're the most efficient. This coming from the head sales guy of the used car division at Canada's highest volume Honda dealership. Just to sort of back that up a bit I visted a local Toyota dealership to inquire about the Sienna because we really liked the idea of AWD and I asked the guy percentage wise how many of the Siennas they sell are AWD - he said "very few actually". Now up north here I would have expected otherwise but it could also have something to do with it costing $35k just to get into an AWD Sienna.

So long story short - maybe there's a lot of them on the lots because nobody wants them?
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 12:44:57 pm »
those videos don't show FWD vs AWD, but they do show the advantage of what makes a Subaru AWD system different from the competition, which was really my point about showing them (as my comment about get a Subie if you truly want AWD)...of all the things you mention, i have never had any issues getting stuck in my 24 years of driving in a variety of FWD and RWD vehicles...none...never stuck, never wiped out off the road, never...you are better off driving properly within the road conditions and using a quality set of winter tires than justifying a slip and grip system as a "safety net"...if you want an AWD vehicle, by all means, get one...if you really need an AWD vehicle, get a Subie...otherwise, slip and grip is marginally better than a FWD vehicle...the purpose is to NOT slip in the first place, hence my comments about driving within conditions and proper tires...nothing makes me roll my eyes more in the winter time than seeing idiots driving down the roads in big SUV (often Tahoes, etc) thinking they are invincible, only to often see the accident photos in the papers where they either went off the road and rolled, or lost control and hit another car causing serious injury and damage.

it's kind of funny how in the decades past, we seemed to get along just fine without AWD...then, marketing departments at the auto companies went into high gear convincing us how much we need it...you can be sure those higher trim AWD models do wonders to increase the margins for auto companies both in selling price and ongoing service/maintenance as well as increased weight and fuel consumption...look, if you feel you need an AWD vehicle, that is fine, that's your choice...but i can assure you a slip and grip system is marginally more than a marketing gimmick to get more money out of you...there are very few AWD systems that are actually very good, with Subaru's being the only one from an affordable brand (the new Magna system used in the new Kia Sportage is also similar in terms of how it works, albeit not a symetrical driveline like Subaru's).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »
No one is taking their CUVs offroad, but a rutted, snow covered road like the way our street was last winter, an awd vehicle will do way, way better than a fwd one.
not really...those other "AWD" vehicles operate in FWD until they lose traction...so, you are already driving a FWD vehicle to begin with...in a FWD vehicle, if you start to get some wheelspin, most new vehicles have varying levels of traction control, stability control and stability management...as well, letting off the throttle for a second to regain control also works...but yea, if you want to simply mash the gas pedal mindlessly and keep moving, i suppose AWD will help with that...of course, stopping is another thing...to make matters worse, some vehicles that have the "AWD" feature don't even operate like that at higher speeds...i don't know if it has changed, but Honda's system used to disengage at 80 km/hr, so it was only for parking lots and city roads...it has been a few years, so perhaps the newer system is different, i'm not sure.

in a Subaru, all 4 wheels, all get equal power all the time...as well, since the driveline is symetrical, you get equal torque to each wheel (evenly split) which eliminates torque steer, which is especially bad if you are in a low traction environment as it will drastically affect your directional stability (as shown in the one video where the SUVs are on a roller ramp).

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:12 pm »
Honestly guys, this Edge is FWD-ONLY! The pros and cons of different AWD systems is irrelelvant here...you can't get either on this Edge!