Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Optima SX  (Read 13547 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Kia Optima SX
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:03:43 am »

With 274 horsepower and a nicely tuned sport suspension, the Optima SX is 'a proper sporty family sedan,' says Chris Chase.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Optima SX
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:59:25 am »
They gotta do something about those wheels. They look like they came off a 70's era "Hot Wheels" toy car  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:53 am »
They gotta do something about those wheels. They look like they came off a 70's era "Hot Wheels" toy car  ::)

Subtle they ain't but they are pleasing to my eyes.

The SX is one heck of a package. If they included awd I could overlook the auto as the only option. AWD + manual = where do I sign?

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:39:41 am »
The launch of this sporty KIA reminds me the time when Toyota just tryied to replace Cressida with new luxury sub-brand named Lexus! Seems to me koreans are on the right track and what Lexus/Acura/Infinity did with Germans is the same now towards all of them, no exeption. The final winner, as usual is the car devoted driver!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:27 am »
Good review - and a really nice car.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ArtW

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:46:08 am »
They look like Canadian Tire's Tourens. I've seen worse though in the previous gen Golf GTI.

Pity manual box is not available in the SX. Big mistake... Other than that, kudos Kia!

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:33:38 am »
Use these rims as winters and buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels.   ;D

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:37:14 am »
I really like the overall styling of the Optima.  I find the wheels on the SX set it apart from lesser models, which look rather plain, while also making it look much more aggressive.  Sometimes different is better and just takes a little getting used to.  Although, I have to admit I've never gotten used to the '09/10 Golf GTI wheels.  They are just too far out there for me.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:13:36 pm »
So who is the competition for a 270 HP FWD 33K "sporty sedan" out there?

I too would prefer a manual but we know that won't happen.

I just wish they would take the RWD Genesis Coupe platform throw a 4door body on iot and add this engine with a 6 speed manual. Budget 3 series beater! Or AWD even better Budget S4!

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »
Hyundai/Kia deserve a lot of respect for a lot of things achieved in such a short period of time. I have to wonder how good the next generations of these Korean cars will be. Hopefully they rediscover the manual transmission in the process (doubtful I know), but regardless they're doing very good things. 11.1 L/100 ain't great and isn't representative of what to expect, but I do wonder what it would get in everyday commuting.

Offline ArtW

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:43 pm »
Budget 3 series beater! Or AWD even better Budget S4!

You're kidding, right? Koreans will have to pour many more billions of steel from now on to dare to raise their eyes to Fritz'n Hans! And that's a fact! What they did though in the past couple of years is commendable and their neighbours stylists (read Japanese) should peak in the Korean's homework and LEARN!!!!

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »

Kia is actually late to the party.

Mazda 6 GS - Most "sporty" of the Japanese 4?
Nissan Altima S - fairly "sporty" for what you can get in a $30k sedan w/270hp?
Honda Accord EX/EX-L
2012 Toyota Camry SE/XLE - apparently the SE is actually "sporty"
Hyundai Sonata (does it really count?)

I think what the Kia SX brings is the additional feature-content that most of the above compete with for $2k more.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 01:08:27 pm »
I NEVER thought I would write this about a Kia, but if I was in the market for this category of vehicle, I'd take a serious look at the Optima. I even think the Kia brand has a lot going for it. They've somehow managed to transform their image from deadly dull "car-as-appliance" to something approaching cool. Not cool in a self-conscious way; more in the sense that when I see someone driving a new Kia I don't think they bought it just because of the price, but instead because they appreciate design and hate ostentation. It may even be more successful than what VW managed to do with Skoda.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 02:52:55 pm »

Honda Accord EX/EX-L

I think what the Kia SX brings is the additional feature-content that most of the above compete with for $2k more.

1)  I wouldn't necesarily put the Mazda 6 at the top of that list.  It is certainly one of the sportier entries, but not as aporty as the zoom-zoom tag line would suggest.
2)  I would not put the Accord on that list at all, unless you mean the Accord Coupe.
3)  I would include the Sonata 2.0T Turbo.  Doesn't handle quite as well as the Altima 3.5 (which is the car I owned before the Sonata), but isn't far off.  It's also a lot closer to the Optima SX than some suggest.  I had a quick turn behind the wheel of an Optima SX Turbo and the similarities with the Sonata 2.0T were by far greater than the differences - which is hardly suprising, given the common chassis, engine and transmission.
4) I would add the passat 2.0T to the list.

Jaeger

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 02:58:46 pm »
"BMW has just introduced a turbocharged four-cylinder engine in its X1, and this motor will eventually power a range of vehicles, including entry-level 3 Series. I mention it here only to say that this Kia/Hyundai motor is just as good as that one, in terms of power delivery and refinement.

I'm surprised that comment hasn't sparked howls of outrage thus far.

Jaeger

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 03:21:10 pm »

Honda Accord EX/EX-L

1)  I wouldn't necesarily put the Mazda 6 at the top of that list.  It is certainly one of the sportier entries, but not as aporty as the zoom-zoom tag line would suggest.
2)  I would not put the Accord on that list at all, unless you mean the Accord Coupe.
3)  I would include the Sonata 2.0T Turbo.  Doesn't handle quite as well as the Altima 3.5 (which is the car I owned before the Sonata), but isn't far off.  It's also a lot closer to the Optima SX than some suggest.  I had a quick turn behind the wheel of an Optima SX Turbo and the similarities with the Sonata 2.0T were by far greater than the differences - which is hardly suprising, given the common chassis, engine and transmission.
4) I would add the passat 2.0T to the list.

Jaeger

If the Mazda wouldn't be at the top, what would be?  From what I've read, the Mazda has the best handling of the family sedans (not including the Optima).  I also question not including the Accord sedan.  Is the Optima that much of a better handler?  From reading this article, I would guess that the Accord steering is better, albeit the handling is quite up to the Optima's.  Please note, these are all genuine questions from a guy that hasn't driven any of the latest gen mid-size family sedans  ;D.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »
"BMW has just introduced a turbocharged four-cylinder engine in its X1, and this motor will eventually power a range of vehicles, including entry-level 3 Series. I mention it here only to say that this Kia/Hyundai motor is just as good as that one, in terms of power delivery and refinement.

I'm surprised that comment hasn't sparked howls of outrage thus far.

Jaeger

Are you ever growing adept at anticipating such things.  I was literally just about to howl in outrage when you posted that.

Ooooh, I like it when you guys howl...  :run:
I used to work here.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 03:38:02 pm »
If the Mazda wouldn't be at the top, what would be?  From what I've read, the Mazda has the best handling of the family sedans (not including the Optima).  I also question not including the Accord sedan.  Is the Optima that much of a better handler?  From reading this article, I would guess that the Accord steering is better, albeit the handling is quite up to the Optima's.  Please note, these are all genuine questions from a guy that hasn't driven any of the latest gen mid-size family sedans  ;D.

I'd have the Altima on top - though my perception is skewed by the model I owned (V6 + 6 sp. manual) - a combination no longer available in the sedan.  Which reminds me to add the Maxima to the list.  The sportiest Fusion model should be added as well.

I've driven a couple different Accord sedans, and my Dad owns one (driven that many, many times).  The ride is firm but flinty, it doesn't handle all that well and basically, I find nothing too very sporty about the driving experience at all.  Its a big car that drives big.  It's competent - not a floaty marshmallow - but well short of sporty.  IMO.

Jaeger

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 05:31:55 pm »
I thought I might have been the only one thinking those wheels are horrible. Otherwise it looks like a winner.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 05:46:54 pm »
I thought I might have been the only one thinking those wheels are horrible. Otherwise it looks like a winner.

I've noticed over the years that when the Korean manufacturers try and go upscale they sometimes take things just a step too far and end up on the "garish" side of the line.