Author Topic: Ford/Tricare Extended Warranty - any experiences?  (Read 40011 times)

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • car nut, hockey fan and dog lover
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 BMW 335I, 2005 Ford Focus, 2001 Ford Ranger
Ford/Tricare Extended Warranty - any experiences?
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:20:31 pm »
The original factory all-inclusive warranty expires on Mrs. Monty's 05 Focus at the end of this month, and she wants to purchase an extended warranty.

Our Ford dealer is trying to pitch us the Tricare extended warranty over the Ford extended warranty. The biggest selling feature? Tricare offers a 6 year 160,000 km all-inclusive warranty for approximately the same price as the Ford extended, which is only good for 7 years from the original date of purchase. Which means that in July of 2012 the Ford warranty is done, no matter how many kilometers we have on the vehicle, but with the Tricare, the warranty will last us until 2014.

The Focus has a 5 year 100,000 powertrain warranty in effect, which would be finished in July of 2010, or at 100,000 kilometers. At our current pace, the car will have approximately 88,000 kilometers on the odometer by that point, so at least the powertrain will be covered until then.

I'm hoping that some forum members have had dealings with Tricare, and can pass on those experiences.

To answer the obvious, they are asking $1881.00 for the Tricare warranty, and I can get the Ford warranty for a little less, but with less features.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:23:57 pm by WpgMonty »
"It's a great day for hockey!" "Badger" Bob Johnson

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Re: Ford/Tricare Extended Warranty - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 02:58:28 pm »
Meh, I guess nobody has had any experiences.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:48:34 pm »
I wouldn't bother with it, unless you don't have the means to cover an unexpected repair.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:49 am »
The only extended warranty worth considering is from the Manufacturer, in this case Ford.  However, they are riddled with many exclusions that only come to light when there is an expensive problem so dealer only maintenance/service without any gaps is a must.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:30:05 am »
~$1800 can pay for many small fixes.  I'd pass on the extended warranty altogether.

"Extended warranty? How can I lose?"  ;D

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:39:29 pm »
Don't think of it as warranty but rather insurance, with conditions.

If you think you will be likely to collect on the insurance/warranty, then maybe its a good idea.  But if you think it likely you will collect on the insurance/warranty, why are you driving that car?  Maybe just a good thing to have for peace of mind tho......

I have no experience with any extended warranty as we do not buy them and have never needed them to date (knock on wood  :bang: ) .  The big issue with the Pathy occurred outside the km range that was available for extended warranty so it would not have helped.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »
"Extended warranty? How can I lose?"

"Maybe just a good thing to have for peace of mind tho......"

Honestly, my instinct is to pass on purchasing extended warranty. However, and it's a biggie, Mrs. Monty needs the peace of mind. It's the same reason I didn't purchase a Honda Element from Corwin Honda in Grand Forks ND, even though I would have saved damn near $13,000 CDN on the purchase price. Because she didn't feel comfortable with no warranty in Canada and having service done in Pembina ND.

After our experiences with the Voyager's transmission (3 replacements within 135,000 kms; only one of them under warranty) she's a little gun-shy.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 03:32:23 pm »
Take $1800. Put in an interest bearing GIC or something that is cash-able after your regular warranty is up.

There is your piece of mind. If you need repairs take the money out of the $1800 (which will grow as you don't use it).

At the very least you should be able to get a significant discount off either one. they have huge margin in them. I'd go for the ford one if you have to. Even though its iffy with any big 3 today Ford is less likley to go outof business than some 3rd party company. Even if the coverage is not quite as good you are more buying the peice of mind for the Mrs.

What will make her "FEEL" better a Tricare warranty or a  Ford warranty?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 03:41:09 pm »
Seriously I don't think I have spent $1800 on any of my cars for maintenance let alone repairs.

Let's see, 1st I had to replace starter and wheel bearings $300ish.
On the Subaru I had to get a new windshield that was $300 fix the exhaust cost me about $100 ish... that was all for 3 years on a 15 year old car.

My Titan I just recently had to buy a leaf spring shackle that broken, cost me $17 for one, I bought 2 just in case.  $39.

Had to replace a few small things on the S2000, maybe $200 total.

$1800 is a lot of coin.  Even if a transmission goes, they can't be that expensive for that car, heck I bought a new one for my S2000 for $900.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 10:41:54 pm »
Read the conditions of the Tricare warranty carefully.   I've purchased an extended warranty on my VW and never had to use it before it expired.   My Honda had a extended warranty from the previous owner and it got me a new alternator and airbag control module.   Weird, I had more trouble with my Honda than VW. 

I don't think WPGMonty does his own repairs like Wing, so the cost of labour will need to be factored in.  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:37:49 am »
 Weird, I had more trouble with my Honda than VW. 

How can you write such :o :rofl:

MOSTELEO

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 06:09:56 pm »
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE IF ANYONE EVER LISTENS TO ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SAID PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSITUTION FOR THE FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY, AND IT IS LIKELY CHEAPER THAN TRICARE, TRICARE IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH AND OFTEN DON'T PAY THE COST OF THE FULL REPAIR SO THE DEALERSHIP WILL PASS THAT COST ON TO YOU THE CONSUMER, I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I AM A FORD SERVICE ADVISOR AND HAVE HAD THE UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE OF DEALING WITH TRICARE, AND THE FALLOUT FROM THE UNHAPPY CUSTOMER. FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY PAYS 100 PERCENT OF THE REPAIR AND OFTEN ACCOMODATES YOU WITH RENTAL ASSISTANCE AND TOWING, PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TRICARE, THEY ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET OUT OF PAYING FOR THE REPAIR

The original factory all-inclusive warranty expires on Mrs. Monty's 05 Focus at the end of this month, and she wants to purchase an extended warranty.

Our Ford dealer is trying to pitch us the Tricare extended warranty over the Ford extended warranty. The biggest selling feature? Tricare offers a 6 year 160,000 km all-inclusive warranty for approximately the same price as the Ford extended, which is only good for 7 years from the original date of purchase. Which means that in July of 2012 the Ford warranty is done, no matter how many kilometers we have on the vehicle, but with the Tricare, the warranty will last us until 2014.

The Focus has a 5 year 100,000 powertrain warranty in effect, which would be finished in July of 2010, or at 100,000 kilometers. At our current pace, the car will have approximately 88,000 kilometers on the odometer by that point, so at least the powertrain will be covered until then.

I'm hoping that some forum members have had dealings with Tricare, and can pass on those experiences.

To answer the obvious, they are asking $1881.00 for the Tricare warranty, and I can get the Ford warranty for a little less, but with less features.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:30 pm »
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE IF ANYONE EVER LISTENS TO ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SAID PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSITUTION FOR THE FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY, AND IT IS LIKELY CHEAPER THAN TRICARE, TRICARE IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH AND OFTEN DON'T PAY THE COST OF THE FULL REPAIR SO THE DEALERSHIP WILL PASS THAT COST ON TO YOU THE CONSUMER, I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I AM A FORD SERVICE ADVISOR AND HAVE HAD THE UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE OF DEALING WITH TRICARE, AND THE FALLOUT FROM THE UNHAPPY CUSTOMER. FORD EXTENDED WARRANTY PAYS 100 PERCENT OF THE REPAIR AND OFTEN ACCOMODATES YOU WITH RENTAL ASSISTANCE AND TOWING, PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TRICARE, THEY ARE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET OUT OF PAYING FOR THE REPAIR

I appreciate the sentiment, but:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 08:32:40 am »
I wouldn't even pay a dime for a 3rd party extended warranty. My opinion is that only extended warranties from the car maker itself are worth the paper they're printed on.

With that said, I wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a 5-6 year old Focus... You'll pretty much pay more for the warranty than the car is worth at this point.

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »
Well, here's the update. We bought the TriCare warranty. I now consider it a fair price, as we had two major service issues - a wiring harness on the hatchback shorted resulting in no tail lights, brake lights, turn signals or reverse lights. The invoice for just this one repair was almost $900. Then we had a problem with a strut, which was another $200.

Because the car has been exclusively serviced at our local Ford dealer, there have been several extras not invoiced. I have not paid for half of all of the seasonal tire swaps, and for the last big service (the wiring harness) I got the car back washed and detailed.

Contrary to how I was treated at the local Ford dealer almost thirty years ago when I bought a Fiesta, these last four plus years have been a revelation on how a dealer can do it right.

Most importantly, Mrs. Monty feels she has already got value for the warranty, and a happy wife is a happy life, or so I'm always reminded...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »
Because the car has been exclusively serviced at our local Ford dealer,

Which dealer?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 08:10:21 pm »
The probability of coming out financially ahead on an extended warranty is minimal, especially for a car with a respectable reliability rating. A $1,500-$2,000 insurance policy, extended warranties are riddled with trick clauses, obscure obligations, limitations, exclusions and deductions. It has to be that way. After the dealer takes his hefty 50-percent sales commission off the top and the warranty company takes its 30-percent profit there just isn't much money left for your repairs! Like the guy with the accent says, “Save your money!” Invest the premium in an interest bearing savings account and pay for repairs as required.

Virtually all extended warranties provide less coverage than the new car warranty. Make certain you know what is covered, for how long and that you can live with it. There is sometimes an obscure activation fee and always a deductible, usually several hundred dollars per repair. They add large costs to the total.

If you are loopy enough to still think an extended warranty is a good idea carefully research the actual provider. Check out its reputation. Read the "squint print" carefully. Some disallow claims due to manufacturer defect or inadequate design in the sole judgment of the warranty provider. Hey, isn't that the reason you bought the warranty in the first place? A mandatory arbitration clause may prohibit small claims court action.

Like insurance companies warranty providers take your premium then look for reasons to deny your claim. They have way more money for lawyers than you! If you buy one perform all required maintenance so it stays in force, keep accurate records and retain your receipts.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:32:04 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »
Because the car has been exclusively serviced at our local Ford dealer,

Which dealer?
River City Ford (formerly Cam Clark Ford, formerly Stadium Ford)

Offline WpgMonty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 08:10:46 pm »
The probability of coming out financially ahead on an extended warranty is minimal, especially for a car with a respectable reliability rating. A $1,500-$2,000 insurance policy, extended warranties are riddled with trick clauses, obscure obligations, limitations, exclusions and deductions. It has to be that way. After the dealer takes his hefty 50-percent sales commission off the top and the warranty company takes its 30-percent profit there just isn't much money left for your repairs! Like the guy with the accent says, “Save your money!” Invest the premium in an interest bearing savings account and pay for repairs as required.

Virtually all extended warranties provide less coverage than the new car warranty. Make certain you know what is covered, for how long and that you can live with it. There is sometimes an obscure activation fee and always a deductible, usually several hundred dollars per repair. They add large costs to the total.

If you are loopy enough to still think an extended warranty is a good idea carefully research the actual provider. Check out its reputation. Read the "squint print" carefully. Some disallow claims due to manufacturer defect or inadequate design in the sole judgment of the warranty provider. Hey, isn't that the reason you bought the warranty in the first place? A mandatory arbitration clause may prohibit small claims court action.

Like insurance companies warranty providers take your premium then look for reasons to deny your claim. They have way more money for lawyers than you! If you buy one perform all required maintenance so it stays in force, keep accurate records and retain your receipts.

I really appreciate everybody's advice and concern, but I have one question to ask - Have you met my wife? It was insurance for her peace of mind, not mine. I wanted to go without extended warranty, but it's not my car.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 10:48:50 am »

I really appreciate everybody's advice and concern, but I have one question to ask - Have you met my wife? It was insurance for her peace of mind, not mine. I wanted to go without extended warranty, but it's not my car.

I know what you mean.  I would guess it is much easier to sell extra warranty, insurance, CAA and many other things to women than to men.   We look at the numbers and think the money outweighs the risk, they put much more weight on the risk side of the scale.
Personally I find warranties to be nothing but frustrating, haven't bought a car with one in 20 years.
Mr Pickypants