Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS Coupe  (Read 22633 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS Coupe
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:37:50 am »
More gears. More efficient. More excellent.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS Coupe
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:54:03 am »
Compelling in isolation, but I still don't see how it's better than its competitors in any appreciable way.

I also find the engine options odd given the power/torque comparison.  The true issue isn't whether you enjoy driving it, but what's it like to live with?  With so little interior and cargo space, there are just more compelling rides out there for $55k+

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 12:33:40 pm »
I have the same issue with the ATS coupe as I do with the BMW and Mercedes equivalents: styling-wise, it looks far too much like its sedan counterpart, with just an elongated front door. It doesn't scream "special"; it screams "afterthought". Considering people buy coupes chiefly for the style, this is problematic.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:38 pm »
I quite like the ATS style, and by all accounts the drive is amazing.  But it'd be damn hard to imagine paying what GM is asking for them.

If dead-set on the awesome-handling alpha platform and powertrains, the equivalent Camaro is about 15 - 20K cheaper (of course, it's a much bigger yet no more practical vehicle, crappier interior, and has AWFUL visibility - but 15K can forgive a lot!)  Not to mention the 6.2L V8 and M/T across the board...

If dead-set on a "luxury" coupe, the Q60 / RC / German offerings may not handle as well, but all have some sort of advantage over the ATS (either price, luxury, practicality, "prestige", etc.)

We've beaten the dead horse of Caddy's pricing strategy already...but it's just not working, and the data proves it.  It's time to admit defeat on that front, and move to Infiniti-level pricing schemes (a half step below Lexus and the Germans) on their cars.  At least until Caddy can realise some market traction for the ATS and CTS. 
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/05/cadillac-tops-247wallst-coms-cars-americans-dont-want-to-buy-list/

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »
People get all drippy over Caddy's super angular styling but I have never really warmed to it. Not unattractive at all just too predictably linear.  Still, nice to see Caddy turning out vehicles that not only don't suck but actually belong amongst their named competitors.  Pricing seems a bit ambitious across the board but I'm sure there are deals to be had.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:11:14 pm »
If I wanted a luxury coupe with no back seat and the best handling I'm going for a BMW 2 series.  I know that this ATS is supposed to be matched up against the 4 series but I think it's closer in size to the 2 series.

I drove a manual 2.0T sedan a couple of years ago and didn't find it all that impressive.  I would think the interior would get old rather quick and I was shocked at how little back seat space there was once I got my seat set up for my 5"11 frame.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »
People get all drippy over Caddy's super angular styling but I have never really warmed to it. Not unattractive at all just too predictably linear.

I'm with you 100%. On paper I like them but the styling just doesn't do it for me.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:11:05 pm »
This car is so DOA.  Buzzy turbo and the killer ... Stop/Start.  What a joke.  What in the world is going on with GM. ???  Just when they look they the have broken out of their bankruptcy era funk completely they come out with this stuff.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:11:45 pm »
I'm not a huge fan of the Arts and Science 2.0 look, though the front ends look great, but the competitors from Mercedes and BMW just look overwrought. The droopy butts on the MBs remind me too much of the 1990s Altimas and Taurus'. Until the S/E class interior look trickles down, the iPad will continue to ruin MB interiors. 

I think Audi has itself sorted the best as far as interiors and exteriors.

Lexus' styling is just bad. The rest of the Asians are pretty derivative, and mostly continue the surface flame/lumpy look.

Given that, and the excellent handling, I wouldn't have an issue with the ATS at all.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 06:18:07 pm »
This car is so DOA.  Buzzy turbo and the killer ... Stop/Start.  What a joke.  What in the world is going on with GM. ???  Just when they look they the have broken out of their bankruptcy era funk completely they come out with this stuff.

Its sales split the difference between the CLA and BMW 2 series. Pretty well where it should be.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:20:24 pm »

Its sales split the difference between the CLA and BMW 2 series. Pretty well where it should be.

Except Cadillac says it's a competitor to the 3/4 Series and not the 2/1 Series..  So yea...

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:24:50 pm »

Except Cadillac says it's a competitor to the 3/4 Series and not the 2/1 Series..  So yea...

It's the entry Cadillac, until the new FWD entry car comes online. Its price straddles both lines. Size-wise it's closer to the smaller cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:25:32 pm »

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/05/cadillac-tops-247wallst-coms-cars-americans-dont-want-to-buy-list/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:52 pm »
I just built an ATS the way I would get it, turbo, 6spd manual in red....a hair under $50k. What can anyone else give you for that price in the sporty coupe market?? Yeah, GT Mustang or SS Camaro, but they are not as nice. RWD, turbo, nice interior, I don't get why its not more popular.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:58 pm »

Sales  ???  :rofl2:    GM pushes them on to dealer lots where they sit for 6 months until GM blows them out at cost or lower.

You never see them on the road.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:21 pm »

It's the entry Cadillac, until the new FWD entry car comes online. Its price straddles both lines. Size-wise it's closer to the smaller cars.

I'm just telling you where GM says the car competes.  So yea...it's doing OK vs cars that aren't competitors.

So because the CT200 is Lexus entry level car, are you saying it's the true competitor to the ATS and not the IS line?  I'm just using your logic here.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:39:43 pm »
I just built an ATS the way I would get it, turbo, 6spd manual in red....a hair under $50k. What can anyone else give you for that price in the sporty coupe market?? Yeah, GT Mustang or SS Camaro, but they are not as nice. RWD, turbo, nice interior, I don't get why its not more popular.

Infiniti Q60 coupe comes to mind..with 50 more HP.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 07:22:39 pm »

Sales  ???  :rofl2:    GM pushes them on to dealer lots where they sit for 6 months until GM blows them out at cost or lower.

You never see them on the road.

"Never". :rofl2: My neighbour across the street has one. There are a couple more around the neighbourhood.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:32 pm »

I'm just telling you where GM says the car competes.  So yea...it's doing OK vs cars that aren't competitors.

So because the CT200 is Lexus entry level car, are you saying it's the true competitor to the ATS and not the IS line?  I'm just using your logic here.

You are definitely not using logic. Anyone's. This is just you and Steve being triggered by a GM tread.

The CT200h is a FWD hybrid with a nice interior. The others have a legitimate claim to being sporty.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:31 pm »

You are definitely not using logic. Anyone's. This is just you and Steve being triggered by a GM tread.

The CT200h is a FWD hybrid with a nice interior. The others have a legitimate claim to being sporty.

If you think the base FWD CLA is "sporty", you aren't using logic.  It's closer to an ES350 than a Cadillac ATS.

Anyways...GM says it's a 3/4 Series competitor.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:33:25 pm by rrocket »