Author Topic: Long-Term Test: 2015 Ford Fusion (Mondeo) Touring  (Read 11773 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Long-Term Test: 2015 Ford Fusion (Mondeo) Touring
« on: June 20, 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
Yes. You read that right. There exists a wagon version of the Ford Mondeo. Just not for North America.

For the next 6 months, my company has rented me a Ford Mondeo Turnier (wagon) for use while in Germany. Admittedly, I don't know which which 2,0 litre TDCI engine it has. There's a blinding array of powertrains available and frankly, I'm not terribly interested in the outright speed because between the Baustellen (work zones), Blitzer (speed cameras), and ever-changing maximum speeds.....this isn't the wunderschön place to drive someone people make it out to be. But I've been to Germany 5 times, so this I already knew.

Technical: 2015 Ford Mondeo Turnier- Titanium
2,0 litre TDCi 4-cyl engine (either 150 or 180 PS)
6-speed Dual-clutch transmission
Front-wheel drive
4,1 - 5,3 l/100km consumption
107-137 g/km CO² emissions
ca. 1600kg kerb weight

What I do know is that this rental is quite decked-out with technology that is becoming commonplace in Europe. It is the Titanium model with the Design II, Business Paket II, Winter Paket, and Technology Paket. So for you guys that means features like:

Options Inclusive:
  • Heated seats front and rear, windshield, and steering wheel
  • Dynamic LED lighting with High Beam Assistant
  • Road sign / speed limit recognition
  • Tinted windows, with rear window shades
  • Sony SYNC II system with a 20,3cm screen, Navigation, Bluetooth w/SMS display, dual-zone climate automatic
  • Park Distance Control, Automated parking, and rearview camera
  • City Braking function, Lane Assist, and Blind Spot Detection
  • Panoramic Moonroof
  • Comfort Access on all 4 doors, power folding mirrors
  • Rain & light sensor

...and more.

Initial impressions are positive. The diesel is like any modern diesel: reasonably quiet when warmed up, easy to drive around town and overtake and quite efficient. On an "ideal" stretch of country roads I was able to achieve an average of 4,6 l/100km over 30km. I don't like how big this car is but it does hold a LOT of stuff. The rear seat room stretches into the next town and I was able to fit my DH bike and 2 large bagages in the back with the seats folded down!

The brakes are quite sharp and strong but one gets used to that. Road noise is kept at low levels and the Auto start-stop system works well. The instrument cluster is a bit too.....busy and I really prefer analogue needles for the tach and speedometer even if all screens are configurable. But these impressions are just after 24h so it's a start.

I'll keep this thread updated over the 6 months, as for sure I will take it on some trips and put good kms on it. Hopefully the weather will be less "northern Germany" soon so I can get some better pictures too!
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Long-Term Test: 2015 Ford Fusion (Mondeo) Touring
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 10:43:53 pm »
Nice thread.

When you get some free time, can you take a picture of the boot. Plus do the rear seats fold down flat?

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts over time.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 11:22:15 pm »
Handsome wagon.  FFS, Ford......bring it over here!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 06:46:14 am »
Nice thread.

When you get some free time, can you take a picture of the boot. Plus do the rear seats fold down flat?

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts over time.
Happy to oblige. It's a really long cargo area, I'm estimating nearly a metre wide and maybe 1,7m long with the seats down. To put it into perspective, the backrest of the rear seat doesn't even come close to touching the passenger seat when it's folded down. For the rear passengers, the seat belts have inflatable airbags in them as well. Don't know if this is approved for Canada or the US at this moment, but it's here.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:17:17 am »
I have looked at them online before.  Forget if you can get the lower trim with the wagon.  2nd best looking wagon in the main segment category.  We all know the first!   ;D            Still a shame we can't get either of them here.  Especially since they can get the Mustang now...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 05:52:56 pm »
One-week update: So I've done almost all urban driving, with just another stride to Braunschwieg last night. Around town, this car is BIG, but the sightlines are reasonable and parking it isn't too bad. I tried the Park Assist on a streetside and it worked as advertised, but I really think this is better for those who aren't comfortable with doing it themselves (read: my mother).

Around town, urban consumption is about 7 l/100km. Rural can go down as low as 4,9 l/100km. When overtaking, I can tell I have the 150PS tune of the Duratorq engine (180 and 210PS are available too) but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, there is more than enough scoot and squirt for overtaking, merging and zipping around traffic. In fact, I've also come to like the user-set Speed Limiter as it keeps me from driving too quickly around town (Euro NCAP is now requiring this as well).

The SYNC for me is still a disaster. Changing audio source takes multiple steps, and the touchscreen isn't responsive (worse than VW). Voice control is awful; worst in any car. Doesn't recognise half the stuff I say and it takes multiple steps to get anywhere. It must have been developed by Americans because while it looks pretty, it's totally not functional or practical.

The same goes for the instrument panel and controls. If I want a clean view of the dials, I have to turn off the Board Computer, and it takes multiple clicks of the steering wheel buttons to recall them. There are better ways to display the status of the Lane Assist and Cruise Control/Speed limiter instead of clogging it all together with the Speed limit display in the speedometer.

The cruise control on the steering wheel is written out in English, which means it takes way too long operate it. When I see the speed limit change, I really don't want to be looking down fumbling between similar-feeling buttons labeled SET RES CNCL (wtf is CNCL?)......remember there are no signs warning of speed reductions in advance! Also, the whole world does not speak English. So Ford, please go back to the internationally standardised symbols !

I finally got on the autoroute today inclusive of some derestricted sections. A bit of wind noise, a bit of slack in the suspension, but overall reasonably solid at 150-160km/h. Because of the aforementioned foibles described, it's practically impossible to operate the audio, navigation, and cruise systems at speed.

So a mixed bag after a week. Next weekend will likely be a road trip, so perhaps some long-trip driving impressions upcoming.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:23:22 am »
Handsome wagon.  FFS, Ford......bring it over here!

+1. Our 2010 has been a great car and does just about everything well. The wagon format would be ideal!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:53 am »
Great update and thanks for the extra pictures :thumbup:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »
Road trip! Over 1700km for a 3-day weekend. Basically drove across most of Germany into Austria, and back. Spending 7h in a car will allow you to find out what's good, and what's not. Makes you appreciate what's great, and the gripes really magnify themselves too. It's not like former East Germany is that interesting anyway.

Traffic Sign Recognition
I've always wanted to try a car with this feature for many years (it's been available since 2008), and I really like how it works. It's easy to miss a change in the maximum or overtaking permissability, so it's great to have a "backup" to check. Say you want to overtake a logging truck....."Hmm is overtaking permitted here? I don't remember the last sign.....oh great, no restriction on the dash. Let's go!" It will even partially recognise partial restrictions (for example, overtaking prohibition only for LkW and towing vehicles); although not displayed by word, a little scribble box appears underneath the icon.

Seat comfort, NVH
Seats are average. Not as good as the ones in VWs and some BMWs but not too bad. A little upperback ache after a few hours but I learned to just shift around in the seat every so often.

The car is quiet though at cruising speeds. A little wind noise makes its way in above 160km/h but below that, everything's well isolated and road noise from the Goodyear EfficientGrip W-rated tires is well-muted over varied road surfaces. Even the panoramic moonroof is quiet. The upgraded Sony sound system can easily be well-heard and is a good companion.

The boot is very spacious. Can fit a DH bike and still have room for one person in the back. Impressive.

Dynamics
This is mostly a good report. The steering is well-weighted at any speed with acceptable levels of feedback. No sneeze-induced lane changes here. Brakes are very strong and fade free. A little float at high speeds exceeding 160km/h, but this is ultimately a family wagon, not a sports car.

Overtaking at higher speeds isn't petrol-powered quick like say, a BMW 335i, so don't let the fat torque delude you into thinking you're invincible. I did much overtaking but it does require thought; plus it is over 1600kg of weight. Speaking of power, I'm suddenly unsure if I really have the 150PS version, because I definitely pushed it into 220+ territory at one point, which Ford says isn't possible with the 150PS version.

Environmental Concerns
A minimum of 4,6 l/100km I was able to achieve over a 100km stretch of mostly rural roads and autoroutes in Austria. Not best in class, but pretty good. After an entire afternoon of flogging on the German autobahn, consumption hovered towards 6,5 l/100km. Good considering how fast the A9 racetrack autobahn is. Auto Stop-start is unobtrusive and works well.

Driver Assistance
Lane Keeping Assistant is very helpful and I use it a lot to keep me perfectly on track. You will need this too, because MyFordTouch means every driver will likely make a mistake and drift out of lane. Not overly obtrusive and subtle in its operation. However, the consistency of the lane recognition is spotty. Often it won't recognise the lane markings which is impossible in Germany with it's perfect roads.

Light Assist is great. It will direct the dipped beams slightly higher when there's no one in front but conditions don't warrant the full/high-beam, and then as you approach another car or slow down, the headlight beam drops a bit. Nice touch.

Interior Ergonomics
This is where this car falls very, very short. Americans spearheaded the development of the platform and it shows. Very little can be done while driving at speed without risk of something going wrong. The cruise controls can't quickly be operated with precision.......the buttons all feel the same and are rocker buttons. When you need to "panic cancel" because you're coming up 180km/h with someone else doing 120km/h, there should be no question how far to put your finger and it should never require a glance down.

MyFordTouch is the worst though. It's impossible to operate while driving, much less while driving quickly. This would have been passable if the system wasn't so darned slow. Often I'd punch in multiple letters and only have 2 appear on the screen. Sometimes it failed to respond to my fingers at all. The whole time, you're trying to punch backspace or back and you've drifted out of your lane. Or missed a speed change. Or nearly rear-ended a lorry. The navigation takes awhile to boot up. And what's with the idiot disclaimer screen? And why is Voice Control only available in two languages in continental Europe? Français n'est pas disponible? Le guidage est disponible en l'anglais et l'allemand seulement.  :banghead:

To sum:Great family car. Will haul a family to the beach, or to the mountains, or wherever in comfort and carry all their stuff. Not a bad drive either. The interior details are lacking though, as they are designed by people who live in a bubble.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:19:56 pm »
You have made a case for replacing all our federal and provincial transport ministers with the German equivalent. Also removing a few billion a year from welfare and the civil service in general and using it to build roads( you would be paying the ex-welfare recipients to do the building)
While we are in fantasy land we could implement the German driving test throughout Canada and everyone who gets done for careless driving and other minor offences would have to take the test at least once.

Personally I don't like the speed limit detection...I presume that it has a mode to keep the car at the limit as well as just advisory?

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:43 pm »

MyFordTouch is the worst though. It's impossible to operate while driving, much less while driving quickly. This would have been passable if the system wasn't so darned slow. Often I'd punch in multiple letters and only have 2 appear on the screen. Sometimes it failed to respond to my fingers at all. The whole time, you're trying to punch backspace or back and you've drifted out of your lane. Or missed a speed change. Or nearly rear-ended a lorry. The navigation takes awhile to boot up. And what's with the idiot disclaimer screen? And why is Voice Control only available in two languages in continental Europe? Français n'est pas disponible? Le guidage est disponible en l'anglais et l'allemand seulement.  :banghead:

To sum:Great family car. Will haul a family to the beach, or to the mountains, or wherever in comfort and carry all their stuff. Not a bad drive either. The interior details are lacking though, as they are designed by people who live in a bubble.

mmmm I am yet to see a NAV system that will allow me to enter an address while driving...honestly, you shouldn't type anything in the touch screen while driving anyways.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 04:39:01 pm »
Personally I don't like the speed limit detection...I presume that it has a mode to keep the car at the limit as well as just advisory?
The road sign recognition is only used as a reference for informational purposes. It alone does nothing to limit or force driver/vehicle behaviour. Like all driver aids, it is not always perfect. Otherwise speed limits signed "when wet" would be severely annoying in dry weather because the camera picks these up too !

Like most vehicles sold in Europe thesedays, the cruise control has an optional speed limiter function. This is essentially "Adaptive Force Feedback pedal" in car-speak. The user can self-set a speed limiter, and at that speed, the throttle will reduce so you don't exceed your preset limit. I actually like this feature too; it is handy around town  :) With the diesel, it is very easy to exceed 50km/h around town without being careful. This user-choice feature can be overridden in emergency situations like overtaking/kickdown with the throttle pedal.

Quote from: Tauri13
mmmm I am yet to see a NAV system that will allow me to enter an address while driving...honestly, you shouldn't type anything in the touch screen while driving anyways.
Every car that I have driven has allowed full, or near full navigation functionality while in motion, and this makes complete sense. This goes for BMW and VW vehicles I've driven. On my prior Mazda3 BM, I disabled the speed restrictions for the MZD Connect within 2 months of getting the vehicle.

If you are on the autoroute and decide you need to find a certain waypoint- one cannot feasibly drive 5km to the next exit, circle around for another 3km to find a park spot, and enter a waypoint destination. You'd lose 10min of your time! Or if you're like me, you know how to get 95% to your destination without navigational aids and only start guidance when you approach your destination.

You might whine "but you cannot possibly do anything else but drive!". No, this is not true. On the BMW and Mazda3 I had which featured iDrive controllers, address input and doing other things like changing the MP3 CD track folder were easy, even when on the move quickly.

To perhaps not sound so negative, on the Ford it is possible to do many items via the Board Computer and steering wheel though :) . To change the audio source, I simply tap the steering wheel buttons a couple time, scroll down the menu on the TFT display, and select. Lovely. Cancel route guidance can also be done in similar steps. So as long as one uses the steering wheel buttons for audio/navi functions, it is not distracting.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 05:04:57 pm »
Great updates :thumbup:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »
Fantastic review and updates of a car we all want to see here.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 12:33:02 am »
The road sign recognition is only used as a reference for informational purposes. It alone does nothing to limit or force driver/vehicle behaviour. Like all driver aids, it is not always perfect. Otherwise speed limits signed "when wet" would be severely annoying in dry weather because the camera picks these up too !

Like most vehicles sold in Europe thesedays, the cruise control has an optional speed limiter function. This is essentially "Adaptive Force Feedback pedal" in car-speak. The user can self-set a speed limiter, and at that speed, the throttle will reduce so you don't exceed your preset limit. I actually like this feature too; it is handy around town  :) With the diesel, it is very easy to exceed 50km/h around town without being careful. This user-choice feature can be overridden in emergency situations like overtaking/kickdown with the throttle pedal.

Quote from: Tauri13
Every car that I have driven has allowed full, or near full navigation functionality while in motion, and this makes complete sense. This goes for BMW and VW vehicles I've driven. On my prior Mazda3 BM, I disabled the speed restrictions for the MZD Connect within 2 months of getting the vehicle.

If you are on the autoroute and decide you need to find a certain waypoint- one cannot feasibly drive 5km to the next exit, circle around for another 3km to find a park spot, and enter a waypoint destination. You'd lose 10min of your time! Or if you're like me, you know how to get 95% to your destination without navigational aids and only start guidance when you approach your destination.

You might whine "but you cannot possibly do anything else but drive!". No, this is not true. On the BMW and Mazda3 I had which featured iDrive controllers, address input and doing other things like changing the MP3 CD track folder were easy, even when on the move quickly.

To perhaps not sound so negative, on the Ford it is possible to do many items via the Board Computer and steering wheel though :) . To change the audio source, I simply tap the steering wheel buttons a couple time, scroll down the menu on the TFT display, and select. Lovely. Cancel route guidance can also be done in similar steps. So as long as one uses the steering wheel buttons for audio/navi functions, it is not distracting.

The Mazda 6 I looked at didn't allow anything like that. Most nav functions were locked out while moving. That's pretty typical these days. Liability in NA is a :censor:.

Look down to find the controller, as most people will. Look at the screen to see which hot spot is selected. Rotate/jiggle the controller while watching to see where the cursor is. Yeah, ever so much better than just touching the hot spot directly. ::)

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 07:58:28 am »
^^ I wonder if that could be some kind of future article.  Nav screens that don't work in motion, differances in infotainment systems, text messages that appear on my screen while the car is stopped, but not while in motion... Stuff like that.  I remember driving a MB, and like others, the navi didn't work while in motion...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 04:22:25 pm »
So just over the one month mark. I've put about 4000km since I started having it. This is good; under the policy I'm permitted 4200km a month.

Since the long road trip to Austria, I've done just a couple day trips to Hannover and the surrounding areas. Some autobahn, but a lot of rural roads and urban/suburban.

First, I have some better pictures after I took it for a basic car wash today.

I think a month has been enough to cement my opinions on living with the car on a day to day basis. Perceptions haven't changed much since earlier this month.......some things work, some things don't. The styling is certainly not too bad for its class. The mid-size family wagon class tends to be a rather dull area for styling and flair, but the Mondeo certainly looks better than some others. The worst culprit is the Passat.........even the new B8 Passat is only slightly more interesting than vanilla ice cream, and even others like the Mercedes E-Klasse wagon are *yawn*. The BMW 5er still has the best looks in my opinion for this class, but the Mondeo gets credit for effort.

The panoramic moonroof is lovely to had. A pretty standard option to have on most cars thesedays. However, Ford doesn't really do quite a good job as the others. Only the front pane does anything; the rear glass pane doesn't tilt or slide. It's really there just to brighten up the cabine and keep the kids from getting carsick. Also, the shade is very flimsy, literally just a thin sheet of fabric. If you poke at it when closed, it flaps around !. However, noise levels are low even with the shade open.

Speaking of the moonroof, the controls in the overhead console are unnecessarily complicated. Just look at it ! Separate buttons for the shade and moonroof, open and close. I really have to remember which button does what........."Oh crap wrong direction, I meant to open the shade....". In fact, I sometimes have to look up at the button label while driving to make sure I press the right button. All the functions can be easily combined into one sliding and push button. What were they thinking?

Another picture of the MyFordTouch that's absolute rubbish. :stfu: I mean, just look at how small command buttons are! Can you imagine trying to zoom in on the map while driving 140km/h? Punch....wait....punch....wait.....And to make things worse, the WHOLE SYSTEM has to boot up for even manual functions to work. For example, right when I start the car up, the Climate Control buttons don't work for about 40 seconds- one has to wait for all the things to load in the background before you can do something like turn off the Defroster or adjust the fan speed.

Picture of the Lidar and forward facing camera used for City Braking Function (which works, I accidentally activated it parking close to a hedge), Lane Departure Warning/Assistant, and Traffic Sign Recognition. Nothing new here- my Mazda3 had this as well, same supplier too, but perhaps some of you all would like a close-up.

Fuel consumption has been consistent in the mid 5s. I only need to fill up every 2+ weeks. Some of the American-ness shows up here: The range display only goes to 3 digits, in a world where a range of >1000km is normal; I'll see 999km for days on end. Also, not sure why the outside temperature and time display are not in the instrument cluster.......seems weird to have it on the radio. The instrument cluster has too much going on and washes out in sunlight......I think this is a case of form over function.

I'll try to get some video in this weekend or next. Middle of August will be my summer holiday and the car goes with me (and my bike !) to France. If there's any requests or specific questions, ask away  :cheers:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:27:18 pm by mlin32 »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:54 pm »
Thanks for the solid review!  :fiver:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:54:43 pm by KDS2K »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »
Very cool. Another nice wagon we won't get here.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 02:11:21 pm »
Great review.
Keep them notes and impressions coming.

On the NAV thingy, I can confirm that my '10 Merc allows me to use the NAV while driving as long as I don't have to input the address. So what I do is enter the address and all waypoints into the NAV before I head out and then pick the one I need from the recent destinations menu while driving. Not all that bad.

From your description, My Ford Touch would be a total show stopper for me. Shame, really, as the rest of the car seems quite nice.