Author Topic: tire suggestions?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
tire suggestions?
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »
Time for new tires on the wife's 2006 Saab 92x.  The car is used mostly for in town commuting and she is not a "spirited driver" so not looking for high performance .. but more something that is quiet, comfortable and gives predictable handling ..an all-rounder.  If nobody has suggestions I will probably just see what's highly rated on consumer reports ..so if you think they are useless..here is your chance to save me from that.

For background ..here we are 8 years and  95k km later and still on the original Potenza  re92s (outside of winter season) so it shouldn't be hard to come up with something better.

I'm not particularly price sensitive but .as mentioned .. looking for comfort and longevity over sport

tks

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: tire suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:24 pm »
I just bought a set of Continental PureContact for my TSX:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=PureContact+with+EcoPlus+Technology

Good ratings, decent price, 700 treadwear rating. They are more of a "Touring" tire so I think they'd be suited for her type of driving.

They'll be mounted Easter weekend so I'll give some driving impressions then.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
tire suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:13:25 pm »
Try Costco for some newer/better Bridgestones. Prices are very good, I've had no issues with the installs (unlike more $$ places) and the warranty coverage is great.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
tire suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:01 pm »
I was in Costco the other day and apparently the Michelin sale is coming to.  I'd look into the Premier for your needs.

I think the  Bridgestone sale is on right now. Can't really do wrong there either.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:20:41 am »
I was in Costco the other day and apparently the Michelin sale is coming to.  I'd look into the Premier for your needs.

I think the  Bridgestone sale is on right now. Can't really do wrong there either.

The Michelin $70 rebate starts March 30. I just got mine (Michelin tires) today so I am missing on that but did not want to wait as I already got a good price on mine.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:24:40 am »
$17.50/tire off Bridgestones until April 5 at Costco

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
We've got Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on the Altima.  So far they've been a great all around tire.  There's a slightly more sporty variant called the Ultra Touring meant for Sport-Sedans.  I would probably recommend the CS5 Ultra Touring for you.

http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger/CS5-Ultra-Touring.aspx

Just a thought:  Do you put dedicated winters on your wife's car?  Live in a cold, snowy climate?  Maybe look into All-Weather tires if you run your tires year round.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:20:55 am by Great_Big_Abyss »