Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Audi A3 Sedan  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Audi A3 Sedan
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:31:07 am »

Audi extends their lineup with a sharp-looking and sporty compact sedan.

Read More...

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2014 Audi A3 Sedan
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:36 am »

Audi extends their lineup with a sharp-looking and sporty compact sedan.

Read More...

Nice little car. But honestly I don't think it will be a hit like the CLA for MB. The interior looks significantly less upscale compared to the A4 for not much less money. If priced at $35k for the base model, I would definitely pony up another $5k and get a much larger A4 with a much better base engine and upscale interior.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:01:06 am »

Nice little car. But honestly I don't think it will be a hit like the CLA for MB. The interior looks significantly less upscale compared to the A4 for not much less money. If priced at $35k for the base model, I would definitely pony up another $5k and get a much larger A4 with a much better base engine and upscale interior.

I disagree - my interior shots are a bit washed out, and it's quite nice inside. Once Audi leasing programs and so forth are in place, this thing is going to sell strongly. The old A3, while good, suffered a lot from Fancy Golf Syndrome. This new sedan looks a little more upscale from the outside, and while the costlier versions will only do ok (I bet the diesel doesn't sell as strongly as in hatch versions), I think most metro centres in Canada will be flooded with the things.

An S3/AMG45 shootout is going to be very good fun indeed.

Northernridge

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:12:17 am »

I disagree - my interior shots are a bit washed out, and it's quite nice inside. Once Audi leasing programs and so forth are in place, this thing is going to sell strongly. The old A3, while good, suffered a lot from Fancy Golf Syndrome. This new sedan looks a little more upscale from the outside, and while the costlier versions will only do ok (I bet the diesel doesn't sell as strongly as in hatch versions), I think most metro centres in Canada will be flooded with the things.

An S3/AMG45 shootout is going to be very good fun indeed.

Whaddaiknow makes a very good point comparing the austere design of the A3 with the flamboyant CLA...this is an inversion from what we've been seeing from MB vs Audi lately. My bet is that Mercedes is more in tune with this segment and wins the sales battle over the A3.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:41:00 am »
So the A3 hatch was a Golf....this is a Jetta?? The A4 pricing is also pretty close to this....I dont know, unless you get the stripped out model with the AM radio, no floormats and roll up windows this is way too close to an A4 to be competitive.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55:40 am »
I disagree - my interior shots are a bit washed out, and it's quite nice inside.
"Quite nice" doesn't cut it when A4 has THE BEST interior in its class. And only for a few bucks more. Plus the awesome 2.0T. No brainer to me - A4 vs souped up Jetta.
The Audi shopper expects a top notch interior + Quattro - that's how Audi sells compared to other FGC. The stripper A3 with a "nice" interior and FWD for $35k is blasphemy. Proper GTi with a proper 2.0T all the way! Really nice interior without the silly screen on top of the dash, proper engine and hashed out dynamics.

Strictly my opinion of course. But I think Audi is getting cocky and needs a slap on the wrist. NA isn't Europe.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:04:34 pm »
I find this to be a stunning vehicle from the exterior view point.  I like it better than a CLA, but then I like the simple flowing lines of modern Audis in general.  Then I clicked on the interior photo.  That dash is just plain out of balance to the point of ugly to my eyes.  The huge round vents under and surrounding the big rectangular tacked on looking display center just doesn't do it for me. 

As for price, not too long ago the A4 could be had for the low $30's.  And it is still very well priced for what one gets.  I'd go the addition $$ for the A4.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:06:29 pm »
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the A4 gets bumped up in price to give the A3 some breathing room.

I don't get flat bottomed steering wheels. Whose thighs are that fat that they need the room?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:08:18 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 12:10:59 pm »
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the A4 gets bumped up in price to give the A3 some breathing room.

I don't get flat bottomed steering wheels. Whose thighs are that fat that they need the room?

Straight from the marketing department...they're racy.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »

Well, I actually overheard someone say that they made it easier to know which way was up on the steering wheel when in a sharp corner.

As a dyed-in-the-wool 9-and-3 guy, I died a little inside.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 12:34:15 pm »
So the A3 hatch was a Golf....this is a Jetta?? The A4 pricing is also pretty close to this....I dont know, unless you get the stripped out model with the AM radio, no floormats and roll up windows this is way too close to an A4 to be competitive.

A Golf with a trunk. This is MQB platform (7th-gen Golf), not related to our-market Jetta. A GLI is MUCH roomier than this car.

By the way, Canadian pricing isn't out yet, this was just some best-guess from the PR guys. They will be looking very closely at the CLA pricing, and they have until spring to see which way the wind is blowing. I agree the A4 is the better buy from a value perspective (which I noted in the review), but that'll depend on what the gap actually is.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 12:57:57 pm »

Well, I actually overheard someone say that they made it easier to know which way was up on the steering wheel when in a sharp corner.

Oh lord! That's the worst rationalization I've heard yet! Maybe they should have "Top" in red letters at the 12:00 position on the wheel. ;D

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

Oh lord! That's the worst rationalization I've heard yet! Maybe they should have "Top" in red letters at the 12:00 position on the wheel. ;D
Actually a lot of performance steering wheels will have a red stripe at the top of the wheel.....and no, not the beer.

Offline GS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
  • Love to drive and motorcycle
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 RSX, 2014 Forte, 2015 Yamaha FZ6R
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 01:11:01 pm »
This is the A3 many sedan fans have been waiting for.  The compact entry-lux class just got a little more competition.  The styling is crisp and suits the more squished shape.  Not a fan of the overdone air vents or pop-up nav screen, but otherwise this car is nice to look at.  I hope Audi does their homework before setting the price.  A base FWD version with all the "necessary" goodies should be priced close to the $30K range of the MB B-class if it is going to sell well IMO. 

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:12:35 pm »
I still dont get why someone would buy an Audi without Quattro.....that to me is what makes Audi so compelling, their awesome AWD systems. I mean how many fwd A4's did they sell??

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 01:17:08 pm »
I still dont get why someone would buy an Audi without Quattro.....that to me is what makes Audi so compelling, their awesome AWD systems. I mean how many fwd A4's did they sell??

Maybe they don't want the extra weight and complication. I prefer my cars to weigh 300 lb less.

I have seen plenty of FWD A4's here in Vancouver, where AWD really isn't necessary. I am glad we have the choice.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:49 pm »

Maybe they don't want the extra weight and complication. I prefer my cars to weigh 300 lb less.

I have seen plenty of FWD A4's here in Vancouver, where AWD really isn't necessary. I am glad we have the choice.

Really?? I dont know, a FWD A4....the 3 series is a better car in that case, at least the power goes to the right wheels.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »
Actually the current A3 hatch "starts" at $34.1K, and A4 at $37.8K.  Yet they sold a decent number of A3s in hatchback form.
And the new A3 probably is very similar in size as the older A4.

I wouldn't buy either the CLA nor the A3, but I think the pricing is not that out of wack.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 03:25:41 pm »
Actually the current A3 hatch "starts" at $34.1K, and A4 at $37.8K.  Yet they sold a decent number of A3s in hatchback form.
And the new A3 probably is very similar in size as the older A4.

I wouldn't buy either the CLA nor the A3, but I think the pricing is not that out of wack.

I would need to see the numbers to believe it. A3 is a rarity on the roads in Ottawa while the A4 is ubiquitous.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 05:34:55 pm »

Jolly nice little car but since the Jetta starts at around $16,000 then this should start at around $25,000 or less. If in that range then I don't think many will care or even notice which wheels are driven. Regardless of the usual abject enthusiasm for all singing and all dancing...I believe that there is an opening here for the 'lesser of two weevils' to get to the saucer edge first. Don't bother with stickshift in the lower range. If outside of that maybe a car too far for the rest of us.