Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive 28i  (Read 20367 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
« on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:43 am »

BMW's all-new 2012 X1 offers a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, great performance and all-wheel drive, Paul William reports. It's a 'nimbler, more fuel-efficient and more affordable alternative' to the X3.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: First Drive: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:39:55 am »
I wonder why they did not put their DCT transmission in instead of a slushbox...however good the slushbox may be.

I like the idea of a 4 cyl turbo BMW especially a hatchback. You can call it an SUV or a CUV if you insist  but at that size it is just a large hatchback.  I wonder if upcoming  fuel economy standards will provoke a FWD or RWD version.

I may well add this the crossshop list.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:54 am »
I wonder why they did not put their DCT transmission in instead of a slushbox...however good the slushbox may be.

I like the idea of a 4 cyl turbo BMW especially a hatchback. You can call it an SUV or a CUV if you insist  but at that size it is just a large hatchback.  I wonder if upcoming  fuel economy standards will provoke a FWD or RWD version.

I may well add this the crossshop list.

I doesn't look like a large hatchback in person, at least to me, it looks like a compact CUV. Unfortunately, with it being a new model, no incentives and high lease rates, it is out of my reach for the moment, so I'm looking at the 3-series. It is nicer inside than the getting-long-in-the-tooth 3-series.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:34:44 am »
 That rear seat looks unusable.... Does it still have the plastic seats for 45 Gs?  Or, you could buy two small Nissan turbo SUVs..
                                                  dragonfly

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:45 am »
Too bad they don't offer it with a six-speed manual.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:13:34 am »
I agree this car should have a manual or at least a DCT-type tranny. I like the relatively compact dimensions; it's a perfect size for a sporty city runabout that can also do duty as a weekend warrior and roadtrip mobile. Not loving the front end styling, though. The 7-series-style grille doesn't work well for a car the X1's size. That said, with the right engine and tranny combo, it would be at the top of my list to replace my wagon in a few years' time.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:22 am »
I hope this retains the steering heft, feel and overall chassis "tossability" that got watered away with the new X3. Perhaps it will offer some hope to the owners of the older X3 who feel the new one is too soft and "mainstream".
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:55 am »
You can call it an SUV or a CUV if you insist  but at that size it is just a large hatchback. 

I'll have to wait until I see one in person, but from the pics, I'd agree with you.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:55 am »
I've seen a few around town and can confirm, at least IMO, it's a slightly jacked-up, not an SUV, esp. because of the high beltline and low roofline (compared to the old X3).

D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:06:28 am »
I might have to go and take a look at this one. I wonder if it sits like a Forester does? Now if they could put in an engine that could get better than 6L/100 hwy real world (IE: diesel) this would move higher up my list.

Found this picture interesting. Does that bike rack come out of the rear bumper?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:08 am »
........nice vehicle....0-100 6.5sexs!.....tho' that big GUPPY mouth in the White iteration makes the Mazda smile look lovely in comparison :P....maybe in a DARK blue/black the BIG JAW JAW will semi disappear?................10cms longer than a Matrix and 100Miles better ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:09 am »
I hope this retains the steering heft, feel and overall chassis "tossability" that got watered away with the new X3. Perhaps it will offer some hope to the owners of the older X3 who feel the new one is too soft and "mainstream".

If you consider the new X3 to be "soft" it means you did not spec it out property when you ordered it. I see you have a previous gen X3, which most ppl/reviewers consider to be inferior to the new one. As to what "mainstream" means....?? I have owned several recent BMWs, including a E90 M3. I can assure you I can adjust the suspension/throttle/etc on my new X3 to be nowhere near "soft", but I can also set it so it's comfortable cruiser.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:29:47 pm »
@Over50, care to share your thoughts on how your new X3 drives compared to your old E91 touring?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:52 pm »
@Over50, care to share your thoughts on how your new X3 drives compared to your old E91 touring?

I have only had the new X3 35i for 6 days at this point, but initial impressions versus the 328xiT are:
- the engine is much stronger in the X3 (N55 turboed, 300hp/295llbft) vs the 328 (N52 NA, 230/200). That increased hp&torque is very noticable.
- the 328 was a standard tranny; the X3 is 8spd electronic Steptronic. The new tranny shifts very quickly, and shift points can be adjusted in Sport and Sport + settings.
- combo of engine and tranny means the new X3 is much faster than the 328 (I would think at least 2 secs faster 0-60)
- the 328 had the Sports Pkg; the new X3 has Normal/Sport/Sport+ settings. In Normal setting on the X3, the old 328 was more "planted". But at Sport and Sport+. the new X3 feels very secure and handling limits move up substantially. HOWEVER, I have not had the X3 long enough to make a valid comparison here.
- the X3 is quieter and rides better than the wagon. The RFTs on the wagon transmitted some harshness to the cabin, whereas the improved tire tech for RFTs seem to have muted that harshness in the new X3.
- the 328 was a more "bare-bones" car than the new X3 is.

That's about all I can tell at this point, need more seat time in the new one.

E!Power

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »
Nice, i like it, The style looks similar to a 1 series hatch and a M coupe but with AWD!. I'm guessing one of the main competition is the Impreza wagon maybe? To get a better sense of the size i think it needs to be parked beside a x3.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 02:01:04 pm »
Nice, i like it, The style looks similar to a 1 series hatch and a M coupe but with AWD!. I'm guessing one of the main competition is the Impreza wagon maybe? To get a better sense of the size i think it needs to be parked beside a x3.

Impreza? Nah. Aim higher. Lada!

Are you seriously comparing this

to this?

Melb

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 02:21:14 pm »
???  I went to the Vancouver International car show 2011 to see the BMW X1 and other SAV's.  The BMW X1 is a lot of BLING. I am 6'1" and the X1 is hard to get in and out of.  Also, when I set up the driver and passenger front seats to fit me, the front seats were pushing on the back bench seat. There is more room for me in the front of the Nissan Juke, which was very easy to get in and out of, and with the front seats adjusted to fit my body I could sit in the back seat of the Juke.  Journalists should mention the above facts.  There are a lot of Canadians taller and bigger than I am. Very disappointing. If BMW took 300 kg of BLING off the X1 and the run flat wheels and tires the vehicle would accelerate and perform well.  Less weight. better mileage,cheaper. More profit.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 02:37:13 pm »
???  I went to the Vancouver International car show 2011 to see the BMW X1 and other SAV's.  The BMW X1 is a lot of BLING. I am 6'1" and the X1 is hard to get in and out of.  Also, when I set up the driver and passenger front seats to fit me, the front seats were pushing on the back bench seat. There is more room for me in the front of the Nissan Juke, which was very easy to get in and out of, and with the front seats adjusted to fit my body I could sit in the back seat of the Juke.  Journalists should mention the above facts.  There are a lot of Canadians taller and bigger than I am. Very disappointing. If BMW took 300 kg of BLING off the X1 and the run flat wheels and tires the vehicle would accelerate and perform well.  Less weight. better mileage,cheaper. More profit.

Well, the majority of canadians are still under 6'1" so BMW will easily meet its target sales of 3,000 units. For those who don't fit in it, there is always larger alternatives.

I could also go the other way and say "The Suburban is such a waste of space! I am so disappointed! I am 5'4" and there is just too much room inside that if GM made it a bit smaller taking some 500kg off along the way, this would make it.... blah blah blah"

So you don't fit in it and you say you are disappointed. Is that because you actually like it and wish you could fit in it? And if you did, you would be happy? Well, that means BMW created a good car by your own definition, and the majority of Canadians will fit in it just fine. It's a compact after all, so it has limitations.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »

I have only had the new X3 35i for 6 days at this point, but initial impressions versus the 328xiT are:
- the engine is much stronger in the X3 (N55 turboed, 300hp/295llbft) vs the 328 (N52 NA, 230/200). That increased hp&torque is very noticable.
- the 328 was a standard tranny; the X3 is 8spd electronic Steptronic. The new tranny shifts very quickly, and shift points can be adjusted in Sport and Sport + settings.
- combo of engine and tranny means the new X3 is much faster than the 328 (I would think at least 2 secs faster 0-60)
- the 328 had the Sports Pkg; the new X3 has Normal/Sport/Sport+ settings. In Normal setting on the X3, the old 328 was more "planted". But at Sport and Sport+. the new X3 feels very secure and handling limits move up substantially. HOWEVER, I have not had the X3 long enough to make a valid comparison here.
- the X3 is quieter and rides better than the wagon. The RFTs on the wagon transmitted some harshness to the cabin, whereas the improved tire tech for RFTs seem to have muted that harshness in the new X3.
- the 328 was a more "bare-bones" car than the new X3 is.

That's about all I can tell at this point, need more seat time in the new one.

Great, thanks for the comparison - much appreciated  :) Sounds like you'll have many enjoyable miles in your X3.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 06:40:51 pm »

I don't understand the point of a post like this?? The X1 is too small for me as well, but there are other/larger alternatives. So it doesn't work for you, just move on then.  ::) ::)