Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport hatchback manual  (Read 7071 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport hatchback manual
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:05:06 am »

Does a manual transmission-equipped Impreza still have that 'fun-to-drive' factor?

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport hatchback manual
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:42:42 am »
"Gone is the old SOHC 2.5L boxer-four unit, replaced by a DOHC 2.0L boxer-four. As can be expected from an engine 20 percent smaller in size, power is down..."

:'(

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:39:56 am »
<div style="text-align:left">

Does a manual transmission-equipped Impreza still have that 'fun-to-drive' factor?

<a href=http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/quick-spin-2012-subaru-impreza-sport-hatchback-manual>Read More...</a></div>
Well.... does it? No comparisons were made between the manual and cvt transmissions ???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:43:17 am by Ace »

Offline nbtoab

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:18 am »
I read the entire article but saw nothing about the performance of the manual transmission. In the past, Subaru has been critized for installing lousy manual transmissions in many of their cars. So is this a good transmission or should I pass on it and go for the CVT?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:45:21 am »
I read the entire article but saw nothing about the performance of the manual transmission. In the past, Subaru has been critized for installing lousy manual transmissions in many of their cars. So is this a good transmission or should I pass on it and go for the CVT?

Yeah, you are right.  It was just that unremarkable of a transmission.  This was just a quick spin so I couldn't get into all of the driving features as I didn't spend enough time in it.  However, it is the same transmission basically that were in previous Imprezas.  So, if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:49:13 am by Mike »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:46:44 am »

<a href=http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/quick-spin-2012-subaru-impreza-sport-hatchback-manual>Read More...</a></div>
Well.... does it? No comparisons were made between the manual and cvt transmissions ???

What comparisons would you like between the two?  I have driven both.  There is another story posted today of me driving the CVT impreza and James and Chris both have reviews of it as well.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:01 am »

What comparisons would you like between the two?  I have driven both.  There is another story posted today of me driving the CVT impreza and James and Chris both have reviews of it as well.
I am one of the few who still prefer driving a 3 pedal rather than a droning cvt. I thought you might have a preference. I guess not.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:40 am »

I am one of the few who still prefer driving a 3 pedal rather than a droning cvt. I thought you might have a preference. I guess not.

I think everyone on this forum would rather drive the manual myself included.  ;)  I was reviewing the manual Impreza with the implied notion that it was a give in it was for those who would prefer a manual vehicle.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:55:19 am »
Subaru seemingly has jumped from a 4spd trans (on wife's 98 Forester S) to a CVT. What about a 6 spd etc...Why the huge leap to oblivion ?
Maybe there CVT just needs improvement. I've heard no complaints about the Nissan CVT's !
Nobody want lag time shifting from Reverse to Drive etc...
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 11:08:05 am »
Subaru seemingly has jumped from a 4spd trans (on wife's 98 Forester S) to a CVT. What about a 6 spd etc...Why the huge leap to oblivion ?
Maybe there CVT just needs improvement. I've heard no complaints about the Nissan CVT's !

I am in a Maxima right now.  That is how you build a CVT.  Best one on the market I have driven hands down

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:43:28 am »
This is the Impreza that I would have over the cvt one in your comparo.  I'm just not a fan of automatics.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »
This is the Impreza that I would have over the cvt one in your comparo.  I'm just not a fan of automatics.

Like a lot of people I'm in a situation where I'm the only driver able to drive a manual in a multi driver family. The logistics just get too complicated when you have one of your cars that not everybody can drive. For this reason we buy autos and because of the crappy CVT the Impreza would be out of the running if we were looking in this segment.

There's a reason 90-odd percent of cars sold in NA are A/T.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »

Yeah, you are right.  It was just that unremarkable of a transmission.  This was just a quick spin so I couldn't get into all of the driving features as I didn't spend enough time in it.  However, it is the same transmission basically that were in previous Imprezas.  So, if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

Does Subaru have a short-throw shifter kit for the new Impreza?  They do for some of their other vehicles (Forester), but I don't know if it improves the shifting experience at all.  I'm a fan of short-throw shifters in general, but they can't fix a crappy clutch or fully redeem a shifter with terrible feel.  But hey, any M/T is better than no M/T...

Consumer Reports is REALLY high on this new Impreza, as it outscored all other compacts (by a fair margin, I believe).  Their opinion is meaningless to me, as driving dynamics are an insignificant part of their evaluation. But surprising that it was rated so much higher than the new Focus.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 02:01:29 pm »

Like a lot of people I'm in a situation where I'm the only driver able to drive a manual in a multi driver family. The logistics just get too complicated when you have one of your cars that not everybody can drive. For this reason we buy autos and because of the crappy CVT the Impreza would be out of the running if we were looking in this segment.

I know, I'm in the minority.  I taught Mrs. 5 Wheel Drive a manual years ago, before she was Mrs.  She picked it up right away, and has no problem with it.  Now if I could just get her on a motorcycle.....   ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »
I like this car. If the 5 speed manual is at least as ok as the Hyundai Elantra's 6 speed I'd be fine with it, which is no Ford Focus feel wise but it shifts into the gear you want it to go in if you're not too eager. If it's closer to the Corolla's 5 speed, I would stay away from the Impreza. I hated my 08 Corolla's shifter, it would grind even if I was careful with it. I hope it's not the latter case considering Toyota owns a small share of Subaru.

I heard the 6 speed manual mated to the 2.5 in the Mazda 3 isn't that great either, TWM has produced a full replacement shifter to dramatically improve the feel. The 6 speed Skyactiv manual is supposedly better.

I like this car otherwise. Unlike the Focus, the Impreza is quite comfortable in the back seat when I'm seated behind myself, and I'm 6'-1".

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:39:41 pm »
I heard the 6 speed manual mated to the 2.5 in the Mazda 3 isn't that great either, TWM has produced a full replacement shifter to dramatically improve the feel. The 6 speed Skyactiv manual is supposedly better.

I thought the 6-speed in the 2.5L Mazda3 was pretty good - but not outstanding.  It was only a brief test drive, so not a thorough test.  Maybe I was expecting too much from Mazda, as many rave about their shifters, but it didn't feel any better than a Golf TDI 6-speed or a Jetta TSI 6-speed.  But not any worse, either.  I'll be interested to see how the new Focus ST shifter feels.

I've heard good things about the TWM shifters, but never tried one.  Maybe hit or miss depending on the particular model for which it is designed?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:04 pm »

I know, I'm in the minority.  I taught Mrs. 5 Wheel Drive a manual years ago, before she was Mrs.  She picked it up right away, and has no problem with it.  Now if I could just get her on a motorcycle.....   ;D

The little lady's Jeep is a manual and that makes me so happy. Sometimes its nice to be a minority.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »
A Jeep Wrangler Unlimited considered small? Only in Alberta I guess.  :popo:

My Mazda 5 has a decent stick shift, but I thought the Chevrolet Orlando's was a bit better, at least when I rowed it at the Vancouver International Auto Show.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 07:35:57 pm »

I am in a Maxima right now.  That is how you build a CVT.  Best one on the market I have driven hands down

Since no one actually likes CVT transmissions what are the manufacturer reasons for using them?

Fuel economy primarily.

I'm not sure but I would also expect they are cheaper than a conventional 6 or 7 speed automatic...anyone know?

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »
Mike, what were your RPMs at highway speeds?