Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid  (Read 6865 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:48 am »

A rolling concert hall or crche with a racer's heart, this luxury crossover continually demonstrates why it's not cheap.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Audi Q5 Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13:26 am »
The adaptive headlight thing was invented 50 years ago and IIRC was on some Citroens by the late '60s.    It has taken the US government 50 years to allow it.

I looked at a Q5 while in an Audi dealer recently.  Mrs tpl liked it and I thought that for an SUV it was quite attractive on the outside and very attractive inside. I could not get over the apparent mass of the vehicle...to me, in a fairly small showroom, in dark grey metallic , it looked far too huge and tall for me to ever want one.    The price didn't help either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:44:41 am »
To me, the upcoming diesel model will be much more appealing. It will also be much cheaper.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:30:23 am »
The Q5 looks out of proportion.  It is tall and wide but too short in comparison.  That is probably why it has such a small cargo space (739L) behind the front seats for the size of the vehile.  In comparison the compact Ford Focus hatch isn't that far behind at 674L and the compact Golf wagon has 929L.  If these SUV's, the U being for utility,  must be so large, they should have considerably more cargo space than a compact hatch/wagon.  It's an inefficient design otherwise.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:23 am »
Price as tested: $63,745

:fall:

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:11 am »

My reaction, too. So much for entry-level compact CUV from Audi.

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »
In the low 40s the Q5 seems like a great choice among CUVs but at 63k it seems moronic.  Other than using hybrid technology for extreme fuel efficiency (Prius) I think it's a waste of money for its marginal fuel efficiency and performance gains in normal cars. Hybrid pricing is outrageous to me – you can buy cheaper fuel efficiency gains and cheaper performance gains. I don't get the value proposition except in Prius-like applications where the whole car is built around the technology for max fuel efficiency.

Some people gripe about the diesel engine price premiums but this is offensive.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:52 pm »

??? have you even priced a 2.0 Q5  ::)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:53:16 pm »
The Q5 looks out of proportion.  It is tall and wide but too short in comparison.  That is probably why it has such a small cargo space (739L) behind the front seats for the size of the vehile.  In comparison the compact Ford Focus hatch isn't that far behind at 674L and the compact Golf wagon has 929L.  If these SUV's, the U being for utility,  must be so large, they should have considerably more cargo space than a compact hatch/wagon.  It's an inefficient design otherwise.

Not sure where those numbers came from.  Behind rear seats = 824 L, behind front seats = 1622 L

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:58 pm »

Not sure where those numbers came from.  Behind rear seats = 824 L, behind front seats = 1622 L
Is that to the roof or too the bottom edge of the rear window...which is the sensible measurement.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:09 pm »

??? have you even priced a 2.0 Q5  ::)

That wasn't the point of my comment. The point was on how quickly one ends up in the lottery win category even with the entry level CUV (for Audi) once you start putting checkmarks in the option boxes. Nothing new, of course, or different from any other manufacturer. At least Audi shows a 50% increase, Ford manages a near 100% price hike once all the options are ticked off  :)

I personally never warmed up to the looks of the Q5/Q7 family, as well as the A7 (I find it fugly and distorted). My money would go to RDX/MDX.
A4/6/8 are a different story. Those are seriously good looking cars.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:53:00 pm »

Is that to the roof or too the bottom edge of the rear window...which is the sensible measurement.

You do seem to see different cargo capacity numbers given for the same CUV quite often. Is there not some sort of standard for measuring this....or does it vary from country to country? Is it measured differently in Europe than in North America?  I seem to recall seeing something described as "EPA" cargo capacity given on some US sites.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 02:06:10 pm »

You do seem to see different cargo capacity numbers given for the same CUV quite often. Is there not some sort of standard for measuring this....or does it vary from country to country? Is it measured differently in Europe than in North America?  I seem to recall seeing something described as "EPA" cargo capacity given on some US sites.

Most do ceiling to floor, Mazda usually doesn't though

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:13:11 pm »

Most do ceiling to floor, Mazda usually doesn't though

I think some review sites use their own calculations (CR? Edmunds?) while others just repeat what the manufacurers give them. May account for seeing different specs for the same car.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »

The 739L was in this article.  I also checked with the MSN autos site, which quotes the same volume

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 06:30:41 am »
"it’s still a bit big for typical city life"  and it weighs 2,545 kg.   This has to be GVW.   

Still a massive machine to be considered for urban use but for all of its bulk the mileage is amazingly good.

Also, when do we get a review of the Jetta Hybrid?  Saw the first ad last night.  Priced right on the standard Prius with a similar sized battery.   The Jetta has much more power and torque though from its 1.4L TD.  No hatch of course and it would be interesting to see how the VW hybrid system works.  If it is as slick as the Prius, then its quite a package.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:52 am »
Those wheels may be good aerodynamics, but don't look very good to me.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:47:10 am »
$63K?!?!?!?!?!?!? That is downright offensive, so a Jeep Wrangler for winter and an FR-S/BR-Z for the summer and a couple of grand left over to go somewhere nice it is. $63K....... :rofl: that hilarious.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 11:01:33 am »
Can't see a lot of Hybrids selling at $55K base; here's hoping that the upcoming diesel option will be more competitively priced.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 10:35:58 pm »
"it’s still a bit big for typical city life"  and it weighs 2,545 kg.   This has to be GVW.   

Still a massive machine to be considered for urban use but for all of its bulk the mileage is amazingly good.

Also, when do we get a review of the Jetta Hybrid?  Saw the first ad last night.  Priced right on the standard Prius with a similar sized battery.   The Jetta has much more power and torque though from its 1.4L TD.  No hatch of course and it would be interesting to see how the VW hybrid system works.  If it is as slick as the Prius, then its quite a package.

Cheers,
John M.

Pritchard is driving one next week.... Expect a review in a few weeks.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman