Author Topic: Fiat Chrysler recalls  (Read 24089 times)

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Re: Fiat Chrysler recalls
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 06:20:03 pm »
I can understand that this selector may be outside traditional norms, but really it's your car... you should know how it works.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 06:24:58 pm »
I can understand that this selector may be outside traditional norms, but really it's your car... you should know how it works.

BS!!  That's like saying "Hey, everyone should know how to drive!" 

Too many morons out there.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 07:12:30 pm »

BS!!  That's like saying "Hey, everyone should know how to drive!" 

Too many morons out there.

Many morons. I dunno, i buy a new $50000 car, it shifts different from any car I've driven, how do I work this? Ok then, got it thanks tooscoops!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 07:19:19 pm »

Many morons. I dunno, i buy a new $50000 car, it shifts different from any car I've driven, how do I work this? Ok then, got it thanks tooscoops!

If only!!

You can't even teach people to operate a facking turn signal let alone a somewhat odd transmission selector.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 07:20:52 pm »
Do people not read owner's manuals thesedays?  ???

I always read them before taking delivery of bike/car, and usually dig into the ones in rental cars as well. Plus, there's my aforementioned habit of always applying the park brake when opening the driver's door.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 05:50:23 am »

I always read them before taking delivery of bike/car, and usually dig into the ones in rental cars as well. Plus, there's my aforementioned habit of always applying the park brake when opening the driver's door.
Exactly!! Can't believe people are that clueless!! Parking brake use isn't like trying to split an atom. I have this shifter in my new GC that I've had for less than a week & I see no issues with it, just pay fackin attention to what you're doing!! Unfortunately our southern neighbors have become a nanny state, they couldn't check their tire pressures, we all have sensors, refused to back into their driveways so they could pull out forwards & not run over their child, back-up cameras will now be mandatory, etc, etc, etc...

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:34:01 pm by Gurgie »
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 02:04:13 pm »
all owners were sent this little thing a while back trying to "teach" them how to use the shifter. obviously no one read the thing... they just wanted to keep complaining about it.

i try to explain everything when i deliver a car... how much do people actually retain?... i'd guess about 20% of the new info and all the other stuff just reverts back to what they know.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 02:27:42 pm »
all owners were sent this little thing a while back trying to "teach" them how to use the shifter. obviously no one read the thing... they just wanted to keep complaining about it.

i try to explain everything when i deliver a car... how much do people actually retain?... i'd guess about 20% of the new info and all the other stuff just reverts back to what they know.

Betcha most morons would be more worried that their Iphone didn't pair with the car than the car might run over you.....  ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 03:29:03 pm »

I drive home first. Then sit indoors and read the manual. Then ( weather permitting) go and sit in the car and try stuff. Then open the trunk and check the spare and tools. Then open the hood and check the oil, washer fluid etc.   Finally check the tire pressures.

Then I'll read the infotainment system manual.     I fully admit I have not mastered the Audi Nav system after 2 years.   

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »
I'm sorry but this tranny shifter is pretty f-ng stupid. Like the guy says, the electronics should put the "hand"brake on if one of the doors opens  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC6Uldx1mi8
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 05:40:18 pm »
meh... i hate that fail safe. i park cars in odd places and the jeep guy in me leans out and looks under the door... i've whacked my head a few times when it locks up on me...

like most things, i prefer to leave the human aspect in there... learn something rather than change the world around you... if you really can't figure it out, then there are a lot of other cars out there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 05:44:16 pm »
learn something rather than change the world around you...

Maybe FCA could have done that instead of trying to reinvent the wheel with the shifter design....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 05:56:20 pm »
while that is one way of looking at it, i see a change like this being them taking a chance on something they think is better.

are/were they right? no, i don't think so... but i don't think they should be held accountable for peoples stupidity when dealing with the companies attempts to make things better.

do people with ram trucks get to stomp there feet because they put gas in their diesel pick-up? i mean.... it's always been gas prior...

do people who pump the brake on their abs equipped car have a leg to stand on if they don't stop in time at an intersection?... their last car (and all those before it) had standard braking, and driver's ed said to pump...

this system was supposed to look cleaner, feel different (and better), use less parts and be more reliable... their thoughts were in the right place... they just didn't get enough real world people to test it to tell them it's inherent flaw... people don't like change.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 06:05:36 pm »
while that is one way of looking at it, i see a change like this being them taking a chance on something they think is better.

are/were they right? no, i don't think so... but i don't think they should be held accountable for peoples stupidity when dealing with the companies attempts to make things better.

do people with ram trucks get to stomp there feet because they put gas in their diesel pick-up? i mean.... it's always been gas prior...

do people who pump the brake on their abs equipped car have a leg to stand on if they don't stop in time at an intersection?... their last car (and all those before it) had standard braking, and driver's ed said to pump...

this system was supposed to look cleaner, feel different (and better), use less parts and be more reliable... their thoughts were in the right place... they just didn't get enough real world people to test it to tell them it's inherent flaw... people don't like change.

I don't see any evidence whatsoever that this shifter was "better" in any way.  The traditional shifter has worked flawlessly...forever.

I mean...I can't imagine anyone carping about wanting a redesign of old shifters..for whatever reason.

Sometimes changing something merely for the sake of change isn't good enough reason to do it.  I think that's the case here.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »

I don't see any evidence whatsoever that this shifter was "better" in any way.  The traditional shifter has worked flawlessly...forever.

I mean...I can't imagine anyone carping about wanting a redesign of old shifters..for whatever reason.

Sometimes changing something merely for the sake of change isn't good enough reason to do it.  I think that's the case here.

+1. I feel the same about steering wheel mounted cruise control button. The traditional column stalk is so much more convenient. You just remember which directions it needs to be moved in order to engage and cancel the cruise and increase or decrease speed. No need to look at the wheel every time to find which button to push.
These things are often done for marketing/sales reasons, because you know, "new and improved" is the mantra. Too bad for consumers that new does not always equals improved.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 05:46:16 am »
Hasn't Audi used a similar shifter like this for years? And BMW has something similar as well right now, but we don't hear of any problems with them, do we? Are Audi & BMW drivers just smarter than someone who buys an FCA product? Ha, ha, ha! Or do they actually read their owners manual, pay fackin attention to what they've doing & use the parking brake?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 05:48:04 am »
meh... i hate that fail safe. i park cars in odd places and the jeep guy in me leans out and looks under the door... i've whacked my head a few times when it locks up on me...

like most things, i prefer to leave the human aspect in there... learn something rather than change the world around you... if you really can't figure it out, then there are a lot of other cars out there.
I used to do that all the time with my Wrangler, open the door, lean out & back up my driveway so I could see how close I was to a small retaining wall I have.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 07:26:22 am »
Hasn't Audi used a similar shifter like this for years? And BMW has something similar as well right now, but we don't hear of any problems with them, do we? Are Audi & BMW drivers just smarter than someone who buys an FCA product? Ha, ha, ha! Or do they actually read their owners manual, pay fackin attention to what they've doing & use the parking brake?

On my 2017 A4 there is no shift into park, you push a button on the side of the shiftier to go into park. Also the hand brake  uses a switch to set it and turn it off.... Was a little strange for a few days but second nature now

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 10:30:03 am »
^^ what happens if you forget to push the f button? Hopefully the car goes into P automatically...

Honestly, FCA's design is better than -push a button! Chances are I'd forget it...

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:18 am »
^^ what happens if you forget to push the f button? Hopefully the car goes into P automatically...

Honestly, FCA's design is better than -push a button! Chances are I'd forget it...

Nope... don't push the park button doesn't go into park... kinda like if you don't put your selector in park on other cars your not in park ... not intuitive and not something I particularly like, but like I said you get used to it...