Author Topic: so many broken brake lights.  (Read 21064 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
so many broken brake lights.
« on: March 30, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »
I see more than Double digit number of cars with broken brake light s every day....
Why aren't these people ever ticketed ...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: so many broken brake lights.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:24:23 pm »
Hard to catch them, cops prefer to sit on the side of the road with a radar gun.....because easy.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 01:26:05 pm »
All VW?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:37:30 pm »
And headlights.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 01:47:33 pm »
All VW?

LOL.  you would think so, eh?

this morning, i saw a caravan with just one working brake light, and GMC Jimmy with all of the brakes on ALL THE TIME.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:00:38 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:03:11 pm »
All VW?

LOL.  you would think so, eh?

this morning, i saw a caravan with just one working brake light, and GMC Jimmy with all of the brakes on ALL THE TIME.

Could be driver error on the Jimmy. My dad used to ride the brakes, always. I remember following him home once, and his brake lights were on for about 98.5% of the 50 km trip. Problem was not with the brake lights. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 02:31:19 pm »
Any of you guys remember the Volare from around '78-80 where there were usually one of:

Amber direction indicators on instead of brake lights
Tail lights went off when the brake lights came on
One amber and one brake light
Nothing
All rear lights except reverse came on dim when the brake OR indicators came on.

I suspected at the time a dubious ground somewhere...but not to rule out  some kind of Daemon in the trunk.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 02:49:59 pm »
  ^^
^^^^
I remember both :

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 03:39:51 pm »
Any of you guys remember the Volare from around '78-80 where there were usually one of:

Amber direction indicators on instead of brake lights
Tail lights went off when the brake lights came on
One amber and one brake light
Nothing
All rear lights except reverse came on dim when the brake OR indicators came on.

I suspected at the time a dubious ground somewhere...but not to rule out  some kind of Daemon in the trunk.

That reminds me of my first car, a '67 Renault R10. The dash lights blinked with the turn signals, but not all the time. Never could figure that one out. I rolled that POS down an embankment one night, happiest night of my life. Well, maybe second happiest..... ;)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 05:08:47 pm »
Sounds like a friend of mine's Peugeot 504. Him and his wife started smelling smoke and pulled over to the side of the TCH outside of Fredericton. The car promptly burst into flames and burned to the ground long before a fire truck showed up. He said it was the best thing that could have happened to it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »
For the vast majority of French cars, fire is the best way to get it out of your life.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 05:13:59 pm »
Great topic and should have been deposited in VW Wink thread with a search  ;) .... Anyways... as a pastern recognition type I have observed more deceased lighting from the Fiat and Hyundai camp as of late.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline RX7heaven

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '98 Forester,'09 Impreza
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 05:36:26 pm »
I try to check my brake lights but by the time I get out and around to the back the lights are out ! :D It is easier to check lights by watching the reflections in cars or walls. If you check headlights against a wall and back up you can tell if they are aimed too high. If the light goes up they may need to be adjusted down. Some peoples signal lights last forever because they never use them.
"If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing" - H. Simpson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 11:33:35 am »
Jimmys (and related) have a common problem with the brake switch where it'll keep the lights on all the time (even with the key out) or not at all. So that's like the issue with that one particular driver.

I've noticed the same though, silly amounts of cars running around with bad brake lights. I think as cars have become more and more reliable people think about them less and less. Nobody bothers to check anything, ever, nevermind something as trivial as brake lights. And then those who might notice that a bulb is out are likely to inept to change it themselves, so it gets put off until the next dealer/shop visit....which might be months (or years) away.

Interest culprits around here are older GM minivans, Montanas and Ventures. When the driver steps on the brakes the turn signals weakly light up and sometimes you'll even get a reverse light going. Likely bad grounds mucking everything up, but sort of amusing to watch in traffic, lol.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 12:38:46 pm »
I've also noticed this a lot.

*sigh* the reason why these people aren't ticketed is...because...it's not illegal to have a brake-light out.  It is VERY much illegal to have a headlight out, but you need only have ONE brake-light (the LED strip does NOT count) functioning.  It is legal to drive with one brake-light out (in Ontario, at least).

Highway Traffic Act:
Lamps required on all motor vehicles except motorcycles
62.  (1)  When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

:censor: stupid, but that's the law.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 12:45:27 pm »
Jimmys (and related) have a common problem with the brake switch where it'll keep the lights on all the time (even with the key out) or not at all. So that's like the issue with that one particular driver.

I've noticed the same though, silly amounts of cars running around with bad brake lights. I think as cars have become more and more reliable people think about them less and less. Nobody bothers to check anything, ever, nevermind something as trivial as brake lights. And then those who might notice that a bulb is out are likely to inept to change it themselves, so it gets put off until the next dealer/shop visit....which might be months (or years) away.

Interest culprits around here are older GM minivans, Montanas and Ventures. When the driver steps on the brakes the turn signals weakly light up and sometimes you'll even get a reverse light going. Likely bad grounds mucking everything up, but sort of amusing to watch in traffic, lol.

My FIL has an 06 Chev Uplander, its a huge POS. He has had issues with his brake lights since day one, bulbs burning out fast, not working......that whole van was very poorly designed and put together. I like that there were a lot sold so there is lots of used and aftermarket parts available.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 12:53:10 pm »
I've also noticed this a lot.

*sigh* the reason why these people aren't ticketed is...because...it's not illegal to have a brake-light out.  It is VERY much illegal to have a headlight out, but you need only have ONE brake-light (the LED strip does NOT count) functioning.  It is legal to drive with one brake-light out (in Ontario, at least).

Highway Traffic Act:
62.  (1)  When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only.

:censor: stupid, but that's the law.
The text you quote Noto suggests that if the White/Amber positioning lights on the front of the vehicle work then you are OK.   However I suspect that somewhere it mentions light output and that would do it.  But the fog lights may well be bright enough ( brighter than an old sealed beam which is probably what the numbers would be based on)  to be ok.    As you say, stupid.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 01:43:01 pm »
Highway Traffic Act:
The text you quote Noto suggests that if the White/Amber positioning lights on the front of the vehicle work then you are OK.   
No it doesn't.  The text is clear that you need THREE lamps, consisting of TWO up front AND one in the rear.  Again, the LED strip cannot count (due to the Regulation (not cited) that specifies that the tail lamps must be at the CORNERS of the vehicle).