Author Topic: 2016 Forester, CX-5 or Other ?  (Read 14239 times)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Re: 2016 Forester, CX-5 or Other ?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 05:15:22 pm »
Just popping up to say wait a week or so for the 2017 Foresters to arrive (if you haven't already bought one).

Who likes steering responsive headlights, heated steering wheels, torque vectoring and a quieter drive?

Meh, that stuff is only on the high-end (meaning, not M/T!) trims...so no dice.  Though the quieter drive would be nice - I'm assuming due to thicker glass?  I see on the subaru website that the curb weights have gone up a smidge from the last few years, so maybe that's it?  Here's one upgrade Subaru probably didn't make - invest in some better quality speakers!

The new 6-spoke rims on the Touring model are very nice though, much sharper than the previous 5-spoke ones. 

Mike, don't see your review on autoguide - coming up soon?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 08:40:55 am »
Just popping up to say wait a week or so for the 2017 Foresters to arrive (if you haven't already bought one).

Who likes steering responsive headlights, heated steering wheels, torque vectoring and a quieter drive?

Meh, that stuff is only on the high-end (meaning, not M/T!) trims...so no dice.  Though the quieter drive would be nice - I'm assuming due to thicker glass?  I see on the subaru website that the curb weights have gone up a smidge from the last few years, so maybe that's it?  Here's one upgrade Subaru probably didn't make - invest in some better quality speakers!

The new 6-spoke rims on the Touring model are very nice though, much sharper than the previous 5-spoke ones. 

Mike, don't see your review on autoguide - coming up soon?

I work at Subaru now. ;)

So for manual models, the quieter ride is more than thicker glass, it's sound deadening and engineering everywhere. Suspension has been reworked front and rear and the interior has been tweaked.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 09:01:18 am »
Hey Subaru Mike   :hello:
Am curious to check out the 2017 Forester.  I am turned off by CVT's at the moment, so would take a pretty thorough test drive to convince me to buy another CVT equipped vehicle...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 09:07:17 am »
Hey Subaru Mike   :hello:
Am curious to check out the 2017 Forester.  I am turned off by CVT's at the moment, so would take a pretty thorough test drive to convince me to buy another CVT equipped vehicle...

CVT has been revised this year. ;)

Quieter and more natural feeling, even under light throttle applications.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 09:11:09 am »
^  I see. 
The best feature of our current Crosstrek though is that it's paid for.   ;D
I'll drop your name at the dealer & see what kind of discount I'm offered...   :P

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 11:44:56 am »

I work at Subaru now. ;)

Awesome, now let's start with the litany of (unreasonable) requests and/or complaints!!  I expect these will be addressed ASAP!  ;)

1.  Where's the frigging WRX hatch??
2.  Can you finally improve the customer experience at Western Subaru dealerships?
3.  Is it true the new Impreza won't have a stick option - if so, BOOOOO!
4.  Why won't Subaru put a more potent engine into Crosstrek? (or refer back to #1)
5.  205 HP in the 2017 BRZ...c'mon Subaru, you can do better!
6.  I want a short-shift kit for my 6MT Forester! (maybe I should direct that to Kartboy or others in the aftermarket...)
7.  STi - when is it getting an updated engine?
8.  Did I mention "Where the hell is the WRX hatch??"

Seriously though, I'm glad Subaru Canada still offers the manual in most of their lineup, especially the Legacy and Outback (not available in the USA).  Tell your bosses that Canadians appreciate that - and some of us have voted with our wallets! (And I'm sure more would if dealerships would actually stock some M/T vehicles).

About the sound deadening in the 2017 Forester - when I took the door panels off to switch out the (awful) factory speakers, there certainly was room for some Dynamat!  I don't mind the road / engine noise though...just gives me an excuse to crank up the aftermarket head unit.  :D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 12:19:23 pm »

I work at Subaru now. ;)

Awesome, now let's start with the litany of (unreasonable) requests and/or complaints!!  I expect these will be addressed ASAP!  ;)

2.  Can you finally improve the customer experience at Western Subaru dealerships?
4.  Why won't Subaru put a more potent engine into Crosstrek? (or refer back to #1)
6.  I want a short-shift kit for my 6MT Forester! (maybe I should direct that to Kartboy or others in the aftermarket...)

Seriously though, I'm glad Subaru Canada still offers the manual in most of their lineup, especially the Legacy and Outback (not available in the USA).  Tell your bosses that Canadians appreciate that - and some of us have voted with our wallets! (And I'm sure more would if dealerships would actually stock some M/T vehicles).

About the sound deadening in the 2017 Forester - when I took the door panels off to switch out the (awful) factory speakers, there certainly was room for some Dynamat!  I don't mind the road / engine noise though...just gives me an excuse to crank up the aftermarket head unit.  :D

2. My department strives to improve the customer experience
3. untrue

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 12:59:01 pm »

I work at Subaru now. ;)

2. My department strives to improve the customer experience
3. untrue
Regarding #2, are you supplying a hot partner to be a passenger  ;D

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:33 pm »

I work at Subaru now. ;)

If I were in the market for the WRX hatch (which I was pre-wife/kid at one point), I would be looking at the Golf R (I know, that's more STi territory, but I drove a Golf R a year ago and was blown away impressed). 

Anyway, back on topic,
Dealer called me the other day - they have 1 (more coming in a couple weeks he said) 2017 base model (black), one 2.5 Limited, and one Limited XT with that sweet congac brown leather interior - they all still had the shipping white protection wrap on them and didn't even have window stickers.  All have been through PDI and can be tested.  That was at the end of the day so I went there after hours just to look at it.  Visually, not much if any difference (different brake lights and slightly different grill I noticed) but like others have said, hopefully the main differences are in the engineering.  I'll be testing it end of this week or next and will report back if anyone's interested. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 08:40:38 am »

I work at Subaru now. ;)

If I were in the market for the WRX hatch (which I was pre-wife/kid at one point), I would be looking at the Golf R (I know, that's more STi territory, but I drove a Golf R a year ago and was blown away impressed). 

Anyway, back on topic,
Dealer called me the other day - they have 1 (more coming in a couple weeks he said) 2017 base model (black), one 2.5 Limited, and one Limited XT with that sweet congac brown leather interior - they all still had the shipping white protection wrap on them and didn't even have window stickers.  All have been through PDI and can be tested.  That was at the end of the day so I went there after hours just to look at it.  Visually, not much if any difference (different brake lights and slightly different grill I noticed) but like others have said, hopefully the main differences are in the engineering.  I'll be testing it end of this week or next and will report back if anyone's interested. 

I love the Congac brown leather.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12339
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:59 am »

I work at Subaru now. ;)

Anyway, back on topic,

I love the Congac brown leather.

Got a pic?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 11:03:13 am »
Not my photo, but this is essentially it:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 11:56:43 am »
That looks great! Almost didn't think it was a Subaru.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12339
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 12:27:29 pm »

Ditto.  VERY nice.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 06:43:08 pm »
My short list would be the Forester XT Limited with tech or the Highlander XLE.  The Highlander is larger and at the $40K price would have less goodies, but the extra cargo/interior space is nice sometimes.  The Forester has more toys and the low center of gravity and Subaru AWD.  The Highlander I'd trust for 15+ years, the Forester, not sure yet.  It's better than many, but not sure if they're with Toyota yet.  Both have ridiculous resale.  Those two are my $40K CUV/SUV shopping list.

At lower price points, the Highlander falls off and I'd probably be considering the RAV, CX-5 and Forester - all solid choices.  I really like the Mazda - a lot.  It would vying for #1 spot handily.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 06:50:40 pm »

Ditto.  VERY nice.

That's because you can't see the blown up engine (or turbo) in the photo.     ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 07:55:54 pm »
That's because you can't see the blown up engine (or turbo) in the photo.     ;D

I know you have a smiley face in your post, but there is something to that.  Subaru's weak point for a long time now is engines.  They seem to be able to make really durable vehicles that will probably grenade the engine in the long haul.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:45 am »
My short list would be the Forester XT Limited with tech or the Highlander XLE.  The Highlander is larger and at the $40K price would have less goodies, but the extra cargo/interior space is nice sometimes.  The Forester has more toys and the low center of gravity and Subaru AWD.  The Highlander I'd trust for 15+ years, the Forester, not sure yet.  It's better than many, but not sure if they're with Toyota yet.  Both have ridiculous resale.  Those two are my $40K CUV/SUV shopping list.

At lower price points, the Highlander falls off and I'd probably be considering the RAV, CX-5 and Forester - all solid choices.  I really like the Mazda - a lot.  It would vying for #1 spot handily.

We basically had the same shopping list.....but ended up with the Outback as my wife wanted Subaru AWD (no slip'n'grip) and no turbo 4....V6 only.  Of course, every time we park beside a 4Runner or see one in traffic, she comments about liking it better than the midsize CUV....so it may have pulled ahead of the Highlander if/when my car goes all FGC on me.

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2016, 02:36:23 pm »

I know you have a smiley face in your post, but there is something to that.  Subaru's weak point for a long time now is engines.  They seem to be able to make really durable vehicles that will probably grenade the engine in the long haul.

Long term I'd bank on a Subaru engine before I took a chance on a tiny turbo Eco-thing from Ford or GM.

'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 01:17:30 pm »

My wife's '12 Forester XT hasn't had a hint of a problem - anywhere (although I do agree the infotainment system is garbage - Pioneer can really make some crap). Great vehicle and I will be replacing it soon enough with a '17 XT with the tech package. I want to see how much better it is with the LED headlights, updated Eyesight and the torque-vectoring. 3rd Subaru in a row, and quite happy with them.