Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S V6  (Read 12158 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S V6
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:10:39 am »

Twenty-inch wheels and monotone paint give it street cred, but that's not the best thing about the new 300S.

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Chrysler 300S V6
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:17 am »
I like that they improved the styling and base engine, not to mention that new 8-speed tranny.  What I'm not really a fan of is that they basically added all that to the same vehicle with not much change at all.  Of all the Chrysler product on sale now this is probably the best offering over the past 7 years, but that doesn't mean the chassis couldn't be improved upon.  Personally if I was in the market for a car like this I'd probably just get the Hyundai Genesis V6 instead.  It seems to be a bit more grown up and offers more.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:03:31 am »
I do like the V6 and new 8 Speed transmission but this car just no longer has that novelty aspect it once had, which once set it apart from most of the capsules on wheels on the road. I agree that the front lights are lacking either size of design.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:46:18 am »
If I buy 20" wheels, will I get street cred, too?  I sooooooo want me some street cred!  :rofl:

I like the new 300 quite a bit.  There's a white and a black version in my neighborhood, and every time I see one of them roll by I think they look real sharp.

About the retina-searing cathouse-red interior - I'm a big fan of something-other-than-grey-or-black, but while this particular shade might play well in sporting roadster, it's um...... a bit freakin' MUCH in a B-I-G luxury sedan.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:36:32 am »
 I think you're right on with just about everything in this article...and I really love this newly styled 300...I could love me some red leather seats....Mmmmm..Very nice.. The mileage on the highway is fantastic for such a large car...Thanks   Jack

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »
Brilliant car, I really like the changes Chrysler made to the 300. It looks like they kept the boldness of the original but focused on refining and detailing the overall design. The result may be slightly less shocking (compared to when the original 300 debuted), but it does come across as aggressive, strong and somewhat timeless in a sea of cars that are trying to find definition. The V6 seems like the right engine here, offering power and good fuel economy - leave the V8's to the Challengers and sports cars, not the family sedans. I personally would choose RWD, but I'm sure many will make the jump to the optional AWD for winter driving and improved poor-weather acceleration, so it's good Chrysler offers it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:30:00 pm »
looks decent enough, but if i were spending $45k on a well equipped full size car, i would also get the V6 Genesis Sedan with Premium Package...perhaps a drive between the two would change that, but i doubt it...as "pretty" as Chrysler products are nowadays, i just rarely hear any good things about them (after the sale).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:33:22 pm »
Looks and sounds like a great overall package.  Now where's the wagon  ;D :run:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:01:41 pm »
If I buy 20" wheels, will I get street cred, too?  I sooooooo want me some street cred!  :rofl:

I like the new 300 quite a bit.  There's a white and a black version in my neighborhood, and every time I see one of them roll by I think they look real sharp.

About the retina-searing cathouse-red interior - I'm a big fan of something-other-than-grey-or-black, but while this particular shade might play well in sporting roadster, it's um...... a bit freakin' MUCH in a B-I-G luxury sedan.

Jaeger

pictures that I've seen of the 300S in white look absolutely killer... I was shocked when I read that Greg liked the red interior, but I bet my mom would love it too - every new appliance she gets lately is about that shade of red... the coffee maker, blender, toaster... I think the red interior would be pretty cool with the white exterior (very canadian!), but not for any other colour...

I would pick this over the Genesis in V8 or V6 trim - the Genesis is just a bit too generic and 'cultured' - i like the mix of its classic boxy shape with the LED light strips in its headlights and the monochromatic treatment of the S package. but it's funny how both the 300S and Genesis ended up with fairly similar wheel designs, both polished facings with black painted inserts...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:07 pm »

Jaeger

pictures that I've seen of the 300S in white look absolutely killer... I was shocked when I read that Greg liked the red interior, but I bet my mom would love it too - every new appliance she gets lately is about that shade of red... the coffee maker, blender, toaster... I think the red interior would be pretty cool with the white exterior (very canadian!), but not for any other colour...

I would pick this over the Genesis in V8 or V6 trim - the Genesis is just a bit too generic and 'cultured' - i like the mix of its classic boxy shape with the LED light strips in its headlights and the monochromatic treatment of the S package. but it's funny how both the 300S and Genesis ended up with fairly similar wheel designs, both polished facings with black painted inserts...

Good! :cheers:

Monochrome: single colour
Monotone: single sound

/Pet peeve
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

nsmyhte

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »
looks decent enough, but if i were spending $45k on a well equipped full size car, i would also get the V6 Genesis Sedan with Premium Package...perhaps a drive between the two would change that, but i doubt it...as "pretty" as Chrysler products are nowadays, i just rarely hear any good things about them (after the sale).

I would get the 300 over the Genesis.  The Genesis has a good engine and maybe some more gadgets but the tranny shifts slower, the steering feel is worse and the suspension tuning is not as polished.  The 300 has a much more cohesive feel and gives better feeback.  Plus, I think it looks much better.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:56:46 pm »

Jaeger

The two are natural competitors and I can see sound reason to choose either one.  The OLD 300 versus the current Genesis would be no contest for my purchase dollars - which would go to the Hyundai store.  Everything I've read and seen of the all new 300 makes me think it would be a very close fight.

Why is it that we don't hear arguments about whether the V8 300 is a legitimate alternative to the likes of the Infiniti M and such, I wonder?

Jaeger

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 03:32:23 pm »
I saw one of those propoganda "test drives"  on speedvision about the new SRT-8 300......I gotta say, I wouldnt mind driving that on a daily basis. I heard a 300C hemi with a custom exhaust take off once.....if I were to buy a 300, it would be with a hemi and even though I lament the lost "street cred" of the 20" rims thats not my style. The red interior, thats a little much IMO as well. Cool car, but this is definetly a V8 only type of car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 03:55:14 pm »
Here's a Motortrend comparison between the 2:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1104_2011_chrysler_300c_hyundai_genesis_comparison/

and corresponding video:
http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtests/sedans/1102_2011_chrysler_300c_vs_2011_hyundai_genesis_video/

Its the V8 versions, but close enough.
it's also the 2011 models...both models are improved in 2012, so i wouldn't use last year's reviews towards this year's models.

in any case, as i said, i haven't driven either, but despite the "more conservative styling" of the Genesis, i actually prefer it...the 300 looks neat in its own way, but i prefer the more (what i consider) upscale look of the Genesis...the Genesis (to me) looks more like a Mercedes whereas the 300 simply looks like a "nice" Chrysler...as has been said before, when some people see the Genesis, they say "What is that, a Lexus/Mercedes?"...that isn't the case for the 300...it is unmistakably a Chrysler...and as great as driving dynamics are, 99% of us never use them anyway...we drive back and forth to work, get groceries and get stuck in rush hour traffic, so in most cases, how many Gs it can pull in a corner and how great its "steering feel" is while carving corners on a track is meaningless to every day driving and owning a car for 10 years and being happy with it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 04:44:28 pm »
....how great its "steering feel" is while carving corners on a track is meaningless to every day driving and owning a car for 10 years and being happy with it.

Really?  Even in my Pilot I appreciate the better steering feel than in comparison to my Tundra, in every day driving.  If I am going to own a car for 10 years, having good steering feel would be a big positive for me.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:08:29 pm »
....how great its "steering feel" is while carving corners on a track is meaningless to every day driving and owning a car for 10 years and being happy with it.

Really?  Even in my Pilot I appreciate the better steering feel than in comparison to my Tundra, in every day driving.  If I am going to own a car for 10 years, having good steering feel would be a big positive for me.

+1

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:16:11 pm »
I love the look of this thing.  I wanna buy on of the Lancia Thema-badged diesels and bring it home to Canada when I return to Ottawa from Serbia this summer!    :)
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

nsmyhte

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:44 pm »

Steering feel is one of my very top criteria when buying a car since steering is something I'm doing at every second I'm driving a car and a car that doesn't feel good isn't worth owning for 10 minutes let alone 10 years.  Same with brake feel.