Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1067957 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #3940 on: November 16, 2015, 03:35:07 pm »
Another 2 days in a row with great November weather. Might even get another nice day tomorrow. Now closing in on 8500 kms :banana:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: November 17, 2015, 04:32:01 pm »
An interesting read on road tires.

Where the rubber meets the roadhttp://velonews.competitor.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road-what-makes-cycling-tires-fast

Very interesting indeed..

Agree but I'd like to see what the difference would be for more reasonable speeds (25-30kph). I don't know many people that can ride a solid 40 kph.

True, 40kph seems too high for most of us. And the faster the speed, the less the rolling resistance counts (vs. aerodynamics). Also, I can't really tell how the difference between, say, 290 and 300 watts feels like.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3942 on: November 17, 2015, 05:38:55 pm »
Another 2 days in a row with great November weather. Might even get another nice day tomorrow. Now closing in on 8500 kms :banana:

Nice!  Hope you got more in today.  I think you're done by tomorrow, though.  Forecast is looking very grim for the end of the week.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3943 on: November 17, 2015, 09:10:31 pm »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: November 18, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »

Nice!  Hope you got more in today.  I think you're done by tomorrow, though.  Forecast is looking very grim for the end of the week.

Another (small) group ride today! Three of us went out to Campbellville for coffee at the Flying Monkey. Was very hard to NOT buy a new BMC while I was there. Now have more kms this month vs October. Emails have already been sent out for tomorrows ride.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: November 19, 2015, 01:39:06 am »

Another (small) group ride today! Three of us went out to Campbellville for coffee at the Flying Monkey. Was very hard to NOT buy a new BMC while I was there. Now have more kms this month vs October. Emails have already been sent out for tomorrows ride.

Excellent  :thumbup: I notice on Strava that you have put 16,000km on your BMC. How's it holding up and you still like it?

The bicycle sales right now are very tempting. I got my latest cyclocross bike for half price, so I just couldn't resist.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: November 19, 2015, 06:52:25 am »
Excellent  :thumbup: I notice on Strava that you have put 16,000km on your BMC. How's it holding up and you still like it?

The bicycle sales right now are very tempting. I got my latest cyclocross bike for half price, so I just couldn't resist.

Hard not to buy a new bike when its half price.

I think the BMC has more kms than that as I didn't join Strava the first year I had the bike but it has been awesome and the only upgrade I've done was better wheels. No problems just regular maintenance. I still LOVE the way it rides and fits me perfect. This winter I'm thinking about having it stripped down, cleaned/lubed and put back together. It would feel brand new all over again.

Since its such a great bike (even some pros raced it) it makes it hard to buy another one to replace it. Sure a new BMC might ride a little bit nicer but we are talking micro improvements. Then again, maybe the new SLR02 it much better which is why I why I haven't taken it for a spin...just in case it is better. I do like the colours though.

I've noticed you have ridden a lot of kms this year and put in many long rides. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:55:46 am by quadzilla »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: November 20, 2015, 08:37:39 am »
Great photo story of an awesome event.

L'EROICA
Vintage Gear, Breathtaking Route in Chianti

http://stories.strava.com/leroica

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: November 20, 2015, 12:16:34 pm »
I think the BMC has more kms than that as I didn't join Strava the first year I had the bike but it has been awesome and the only upgrade I've done was better wheels. No problems just regular maintenance. I still LOVE the way it rides and fits me perfect. This winter I'm thinking about having it stripped down, cleaned/lubed and put back together. It would feel brand new all over again.

Since its such a great bike (even some pros raced it) it makes it hard to buy another one to replace it. Sure a new BMC might ride a little bit nicer but we are talking micro improvements. Then again, maybe the new SLR02 it much better which is why I why I haven't taken it for a spin...just in case it is better. I do like the colours though.

Good to hear it's served you well. I hadn't seen a BMC in person until this summer when a new local bike shop started carrying them. They look really high quality in person, which is not very surprising given their Swiss origin.

I've been thinking of a groupset update to the latest 105 or Ultegra on my Felt, but lately I'm thinking I'll just stick with the previous gen. 105 and giving it a cleaning and lubing and new cables. That should make it feel like new again. I had the headset bearings replaced in September and with the new bearings and a proper lubing the improvement was amazing, which makes me want to replace the BB bearings this winter.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3949 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:26 pm »
The morning commute, -11. Getting some added use out of my ski gear:

The new heated gloves are making a big difference:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: November 20, 2015, 01:08:09 pm »
Great photo story of an awesome event.

L'EROICA
Vintage Gear, Breathtaking Route in Chianti

http://stories.strava.com/leroica

Love the look of the old steel steed. I've been contemplating building a brand new "vintage" bike by myself, something like the Colossi in the picture.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: November 23, 2015, 01:16:56 pm »
Love the look of the old steel steed. I've been contemplating building a brand new "vintage" bike by myself, something like the Colossi in the picture.

Agree plus some of the new steel and Ti bikes also look great. A local builder here (True North Cycles) just posted a new Ti bike they build for a customer and it looks amazing. Now I want one.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: November 23, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
Beat by a girl.  :think:

I was loading up my latest rides to Veloviewer and noticed that I got bumped from 2nd to 3rd on one of my local segments by somebody named Jamie. Then I clicked on them and see that its actually a woman named Jamie. Not that I don't think women are fast (because there are many seriously fast women around here) they just have better things to do than bump me on local segments.

In case you don't know who she is, she is a top Cdn cyclist. I can live with that.  8)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:35 pm »
Did another group road ride today :banana:

While we had to leave a little later than planned to let the roads warm up, it was a great ride. Got in a fun and relaxing 80 kms. If the rain holds off long enough tomorrow there will be another group ride. Not bad for the end of November.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3954 on: December 03, 2015, 11:36:44 am »
World Fat Bike Day is coming!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3955 on: December 03, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »
Welcome back Blotter; it's been a long time!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: December 03, 2015, 01:21:30 pm »
thanks!

a job change and a bunch of stuff keeping me busy and away from the forum for the last while

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: December 07, 2015, 10:41:12 am »
our group ride for Global Fat Bike Day:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: December 10, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »
More great weather = more group rides. Now past 9,000 kms. Just crazy.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: December 10, 2015, 04:31:23 pm »
 :o :bow:

absolutely amazing!!!!!!!

I'm nowhere near those numbers.   I've just broken the 2,500km mark   :rofl2: