Author Topic: Long-Term Wrap-up: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel  (Read 20724 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Wrap-up: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« on: January 18, 2013, 06:31:37 am »

Senior Editor Jonathan Yarkony professes his pragmatic, rational love for a sensible German car with a ridiculously long name.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Wrap-up: 2013 Volkswagen Golf Wagon TDI Diesel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:59:04 am »
A really positive review and it makes one warm up to the Golf if you don't already like them.

And then the price was mentioned.   $35k simply does not work.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:40:37 am »
A really positive review and it makes one warm up to the Golf if you don't already like them.
And then the price was mentioned.   $35k simply does not work.
Cheers,
John M.

Agreed. Did the math on Passat sedan TDi vs. Sonata GLS at 25,000 kms and once the payback got well beyond 5 years, the ~ +$14,000 price premium after tax was a not worth it. The 2013 Sonata GLS was $25,900 OTR with super attractive interest rates. German driving experience vs. Korean car was not a factor in the decision. VW maintenance costs and potential reliability issues were factors.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:01:39 am »
With players like Mazda's Skyactiv in the CX5 and well equipped under 30K, one has to ask, does this vehicle make any sense from a monetary standpoint except for maybe those doing massive highway mileage or courier service.   

I recall when not to long ago VW set the standards in interior design and materials, it's sad to see they dropped the ball on that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:32:05 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:18 am »
I think V-Dub is going to have some serious competition on the diesel front from Mazda. The Mazda 6 diesel would go head-to-head with the Passat, and my guess is it will be significantly more cost effective.

As well, if they start offering the CX5 with the new diesel and eventually the next gen Mazda 3, it will certainly have a price advantage compared to VW equivalents.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:06:27 am »
FYI, If you really want to drive a sensible GOLF TDI Wagon you should order the Comfortline Model. It comes standard with a 6 speed manual transmission, high quality cloth interior and no sun/moon electric roof or navigation. Price, only $27,300!!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:28:57 am »
Looked very hard at these last year - the US prices, as usual, were much more attractive...and you could get a little red wagon if you wanted one!

I was scared off my the Canadian price when I wasn't blown away by the driving experience (nice steering wheel tho).  A forum search revealed a LOT  of expensive issues with the TDI that VW was (at the time) refusing to cover under warranty citing bad fuel.  I was reminded these new diesels are not like the old VW diesels that would run on anything.

The attitude of the Oakville VW sales folks didn't help - they played like these were exotic cars and I had to get my place in line so I could get one.  Whatev...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
What's the point of this "about the smallest possible vehicle" priced as entry luxury at 35 k before taxes but saving you about just 750 dollars a year? Economically it is a wrong product here in North America and the sales number show it.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:08 am »
A young family has to remember that the kids grow like weeds - in another 5 or 6 years that compact wagon could be downright uncomfortable for road trips.

I don't see the value proposition here.  I'm no fan of wagons unless they have a nice factory gate separating the cargo area from the backseat (like Volvo) for protection from flying objects in the event of an accident for those precious little bodies in the back seat.  A trunk is better in this regard.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 11:35:12 am »
I looked at the Golf wagon but it quickly fell off the list for being too small in the back seat. The Jetta TDI was a finalist however.

The "Euro" Golf TDI starts at $27k, the North Americanized Jetta TDI starts at $23k.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:32 am »
while the VW dongle appears to only provide the 30 pin Apple connector (my Kia has the same dongle), you can purchase a 30 pin to Lightning dongle from Apple for about $40...i used the Kia adapter on my Nano previously, and when i got the iPhone 5, i bought the dongle to continue to use the iPod controls in the Radio system as well as charge the phone...worth every penny.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 12:17:20 pm »
I use Bluetooth to play and just a plain 12V cable to charge. Sometimes on short trips, I don't feel like plugging it in, so I just leave my iPhone in my pocket and music plays automatically.

Offline johnnyboy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 08n highlander hybrid, 13 Corolla LE,14 suzuki boulevard 800 11 burgman 650
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »
I still find my self baffled by the Golf Wagon.Its a better car to drive than its competition but at 30% higher fuel consumption , and 50 % higher emissions than a Prius V,and poorer long term reliability, I don't see the logic.Still seems a high price to pay for the driving experience.
Each to his own , I guess.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:56:29 pm »
Recently I spent a few days driving on icy Banff Lake Louise highways with a friend in his non diesel manual transmission Golf wagon. I found it to be excellent. Comfortable seats, very good carrying capacity, decent mileage and solid road feel. I wonder if foregoing the diesel and taking the money saved and putting it towards gas over the next five years wouldn't be a better solution. I think the diesel saves about 2 litres every 100km or about $3/100km (very rough estimate!). Drive 20,000km a year and thats $600 per year. Not the diesel, but still a very practical nice car for much less.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 01:07:45 pm »
A young family has to remember that the kids grow like weeds - in another 5 or 6 years that compact wagon could be downright uncomfortable for road trips.

Exactly where we're at...in the spring of 2010 our kids fit great and were happy enough, now we're hearing it already from the older one. At 6' I have to have the seat back a long ways and there's not much room left.

As far as our long term summary: great road manners, very good (but not great) mileage, limp wristed steering that bugs me (too light and sloppy, though tightens up at higher speeds), iffy reliability (all 4 injectors replaced under warranty, some issue with the fan running far after car is shut off even in cold weather), good all round car. Fit our needs well and if kids were happy we'd probably keep for 4-6 more years but might have to move up a bit in internal size. You have to really value the driving experience to make it worth the extra cost though.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »
As far as our long term summary: great road manners, very good (but not great) mileage, limp wristed steering that bugs me (too light and sloppy, though tightens up at higher speeds), iffy reliability (all 4 injectors replaced under warranty, some issue with the fan running far after car is shut off even in cold weather), good all round car. Fit our needs well and if kids were happy we'd probably keep for 4-6 more years but might have to move up a bit in internal size. You have to really value the driving experience to make it worth the extra cost though.

Good info.

Ya, I was expecting a lot better steering that it sounds like you feel as well.  On the positive side, you may not do that badly resale wise...there's a demand out there for them.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 02:07:44 pm »
I still find my self baffled by the Golf Wagon.Its a better car to drive than its competition but at 30% higher fuel consumption , and 50 % higher emissions than a Prius V,and poorer long term reliability, I don't see the logic.Still seems a high price to pay for the driving experience.

That 30% consumption number might just be rated...and the emissions number would be linked to that.  The Prius V makes you pay for that better consumption number - there's just not that much power.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »

That 30% consumption number might just be rated...and the emissions number would be linked to that.  The Prius V makes you pay for that better consumption number - there's just not that much power.

A friend traded his older Jetta TDi 1.9 with manual for a new Golf TDi with an auto about a year ago.  So far he's somewhat disappointed.  Mileage dropped from 5.0 l/100km to 7.0 l/100 km and he's had several repairs to far.

I would have bought the Prius V instead.  Cheaper (slightly) and much better mileage in the city.  Neither are interesting to drive though.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:34 pm »
I have a '10 gas version Comfortline with auto.  It gets good mileage for the size of the engine with 177 ft lbs of tourque, is fun to drive and has not had a sqeak, rattle or warranty claim in the first three years.  I have no issues with the steering being sloppy as reported by opg210, but then I drove Camrys before this.  It was priced competitively at $24,600.00.  I'd say that's darn good value for a premium compact.

I would never drive the car far enough to recover the $10,000.00 premium over this highline TDI.  It just doesn't make economic sense. 

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:35 am »
Dump it before the warranty is over and you'll be fine.