Author Topic: BIL's family SUV  (Read 22284 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: BIL's family SUV
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2016, 10:21:13 am »
Get the Kia and Hyundai dealers to compete against each other; Sorento EX+ vs. Santa Fe XL Luxury. 
It looks like Luxury has the features that EX+ has such as panoramic sunroof, leather, power hatch, blind spot monitor, etc.
With Hyundai's current promo, Santa Fe XL Lux comes in almost identical as EX+.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »
So, wrench in the works.  I was over at his place on Friday for dinner, and we got to talking about his search for the SUV.

He's interested in a trailer that weighs about 4000 - 4300lbs Gross.  At first glance, many of the CUV's offering 5000lbs of tow rating would seem sufficient to pull such a trailer.  However, the numbers are misleading.  For many of these vehicles, based on GCWR, they can only tow 5000 lbs when carrying only a driver and no cargo.

After running some numbers GCWR - (Curb weight of vehicle + weight of passengers/cargo (about 800lbs for a typical weekend family camping trip)) the real tow rating of vehicles such as the Highlander, Pilot and Sorento are actually closer to 4200lbs, which places the trailer they want right at or even over the limit.  These numbers are uncomfortable. 

So we got to looking at the Toyota 4-runner.  The 4-Runner also has a tow rating of 5000lbs, but has a higher GCWR than any CUV.  The calculated tow rating for the 4-runner was about 4700lbs, which could be considered acceptable. 

So now he faces a dilemma.  4-runners are quite hard to find second hand, and are pricey.  He IS considering buying a vehicle brand new, but even then a 4-runner with the level of equipment he wants is about $10 000 more expensive than a comparably equipped Highlander. 

So his dilemma is this:  Does he get a CUV (either used of new, doesn't matter) and in turn buy a smaller trailer that he and his family might not be completely happy with, or does he get the trailer they want, and have to spend more money on a vehicle.  He and his wife love the 4-Runner, but they also admit it's a little on the steep side. 

Other alternatives would be a fullsize truck (I floated this idea past him) but he's pretty set on the the 3rd row, and doesn't want to daily drive a full-size vehicle.  Not wanting to DD a full-sizer is also the reason he doesn't want to look at the GM SUV's (Tahoe, Yukon, etc). 

So yeah, disappointing results in the CUV world.  It seems like 20 years ago when the world was filled with body-on-frame mid-size SUV's, there was just more capability than the CUV filled world of today. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2016, 02:47:28 pm »
For a trailer that size/weight, the full size SUVs, Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia, and smaller Durango, are the way to go. If he doesn't want to DD it, then he's got to go with a smaller trailer. 
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 03:03:43 pm »
Hes going to need a serious SUV, frame, live axle, V8....passengers, trailer, stuff in trailer, water in tank....thats a lot of weight.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »

So his dilemma is this:  Does he get a CUV (either used of new, doesn't matter) and in turn buy a smaller trailer that he and his family might not be completely happy with, or does he get the trailer they want, and have to spend more money on a vehicle.  He and his wife love the 4-Runner, but they also admit it's a little on the steep side. 

Get the trailer they want, and buy the vehicle to match.  We've upgraded trailer size twice now  :-\ :-[ :shuffle:  Learned the hard way, twice.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

Get the trailer they want, and buy the vehicle to match.  We've upgraded trailer size twice now  :-\ :-[ :shuffle:  Learned the hard way, twice.

This X1000!!! Vehicles come and go, trailer should be around a while.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 03:45:08 pm »

This X1000!!! Vehicles come and go, trailer should be around a while.
Maybe they need the XD that Wing I'd playing with

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
The Durango would fit the bill (even with a V6) as far as towing is concerned, but he has misgivings about the long term reliability of a Chrysler product.  It would seem their reputation is not stellar, even amongst non-car people.  Who knew!

Durango has 11600lb GCWR, and with a 5000lb curb weight, and 1000lbs of passengers/cargo, you're looking at 5600lbs of 'real' towing capacity.  That's the best of any of the midsizers.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »
The Durango would fit the bill (even with a V6) as far as towing is concerned, but he has misgivings about the long term reliability of a Chrysler product.  It would seem their reputation is not stellar, even amongst non-car people.  Who knew!

Durango has 11600lb GCWR, and with a 5000lb curb weight, and 1000lbs of passengers/cargo, you're looking at 5600lbs of 'real' towing capacity.  That's the best of any of the midsizers.

Reliability isn't bad on these. Which is saying something these days.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2016, 09:22:03 am »

FWIW, one of Consumer Report's chief car editor is happy with his Durango.  I didn't like the drive and interior of a low-trim rental I had last year, but it might be better in higher trim levels.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:47 am »
When SirO put up the chart, I was kinda impressed at the reliability.  Have always like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.  But would never use off-road capability.  The Durango seems to have a bit more value, and would probably depreciate faster.  So now it's a possible consideration down the road.  As a Durango would probably be more affordable than a Tahoe/Yukon (only interested in the latest gen 2014 and newer)

Too bad we don't have a used vehicle review on this gen...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:34 am »
When SirO put up the chart, I was kinda impressed at the reliability.  Have always like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.  But would never use off-road capability.  The Durango seems to have a bit more value, and would probably depreciate faster.  So now it's a possible consideration down the road.  As a Durango would probably be more affordable than a Tahoe/Yukon (only interested in the latest gen 2014 and newer)

The new generation isn't exactly a bush bashing, hardcore SUV....think more capable Lexus.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2016, 11:09:11 am »

The new generation isn't exactly a bush bashing, hardcore SUV....think more capable Lexus.

Oh gosh no.  And this current generation of Durango isn't marketed that way either.  It's marketed more as a Daddy-mobile.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2016, 11:21:34 am »

When looking I will be checking many.

2017 GMC Acadia
2014 Chevy Tahoe
2014 Dodge Durango
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2014 Toyota Highlander
older Lexus LX (late 2000s)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2016, 06:02:18 pm »
End of story. He bought a 2013 4Runner SR5 with upgrade package (leather, sunroof, etc).  56 000 kms, and comes with an extra set of winter tires.  All for $36K. 
http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_27185508?prx=100&orup=9_10_26+

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2016, 06:06:38 pm »
End of story. He bought a 2013 4Runner SR5 with upgrade package (leather, sunroof, etc).  56 000 kms, and comes with an extra set of winter tires.  All for $36K. 
http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_27185508?prx=100&orup=9_10_26+

Good choice, thats a great truck!!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:41 am »
He brought it round on Saturday, and I took it for a quick spin.  Colour me impressed for the short time I drove it.  Drives like a truck, yet is refined and easy to manage.  I mean, I didn't really expect anything less.  Really well equipped, too, for something that is a base model with upgrade package.  Leather, Navigation, sunroof, retractable rear window (this is cool, I can't believe 4Runners still do this), heated seats, 3rd row.  Basically everything you want in a family hauler.  The only thing you're missing from the Limited trim is the smart key and dual zone automatic climate control.  Oh, and some extra chrome trim, I think. 

Anyway, I'm psyched.  This is a truck that will be well worth the price of entry for the long time that they're going to have it, and I'm chuffed that they bought such a great SUV. 

I'm almost jealous, except for the fact that I'd rather have a Crew Cab Tacoma, rather than a 4Runner.  Who knows.  Maybe in 5 years time I'll pick up a relatively new Crew Cab Tacoma and we can all be one big Toyota truck family!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:25:12 am by Great_Big_Abyss »