Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2016 Kia Sorento SX  (Read 46558 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2016 Kia Sorento SX
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 11:37:31 am »
Minivan and beater cars driven by tweens, both I find are the most aggressive drivers on the road.
The youths I get. Sheer bravado mixed in with hormones.
The minivan frustrated type, well they're just pissed that they're "forced" to drive a cube with wheels for the next few years and want to prove to others that they too can be players and keep reminding themselves they're sporting a V6 under the hood. Albeit moving +/- GROSS WEIGHT 5995 lbs.   CURB WEIGHT 4375 lbs. parred with the handling of a tug boat. :rofl2:
Go drive a Honda Odyssey.  It doesn't drive anything like a tug boat.  Imagine a Honda Accord, but with more space...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 11:40:43 am »
Minivan and beater cars driven by tweens, both I find are the most aggressive drivers on the road.
The minivan frustrated type, well they're just pissed that they're "forced" to drive a cube with wheels for the next few years and want to prove to others that they too can be players and keep reminding themselves they're sporting a V6 under the hood. Albeit moving +/- GROSS WEIGHT 5995 lbs.   CURB WEIGHT 4375 lbs. parred with the handling of a tug boat. :rofl2:

Even my buddies sad sack 2013 Grand Caravan isn't tug boat-esque, depressing, yes, soul sucking, absolutely, tug boat, no.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 12:55:12 pm »
Minivan and beater cars driven by neonates, both I find are the most aggressive drivers on the road.

My minivan is 3300lbs and a 4 cylinder ;)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 01:42:33 pm »
Minivan and beater cars driven by neonates, both I find are the most aggressive drivers on the road.

that's not too bad...our Sorento weighs about 1000 lbs more and has a 4 cylinder as well (albeit, a turbo).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 02:39:12 pm »

That would make me frustrated and even angrier.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 02:59:24 pm »

That would make me frustrated and even angrier.

The lady in the Yukon XL that lives around the corner from me that is either fussing with her hair, or messing around with something beside her, or yakking at her kids through the rvm while she is driving less than 10 feet off my bumper is pretty scary! When i am looking to pull out of my driveway and see her coming, i just wait for her to pass by no matter how much time i have to pull out.   ::)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 03:14:14 pm »
Go drive a Honda Odyssey.  It doesn't drive anything like a tug boat.  Imagine a Honda Accord, but with more space...

Uhhh you need to go drive an Accord.  The Odyssey is a great handler for a van but it feels too wallowy even compared to the Ridgeline. We don't need to get carried away... ;) And no the Ridgeline doesn't drive like an Accord either.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 03:47:39 pm »

I've never met a frustrated minivan driver or one that was "forced" to drive a minivan.  Generally they all seem to really like their vans.  Not everyone is a wannabe race car driver or suffering from a massive lack of self confidence.  Vans are just tools and they are great at that. 

Most of the people with issues now drive SUVs. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »

Uhhh you need to go drive an Accord.  The Odyssey is a great handler for a van but it feels too wallowy even compared to the Ridgeline. We don't need to get carried away... ;) And no the Ridgeline doesn't drive like an Accord either.

Have you driven a 4th gen Odyssey (2011+)?  Especially a 2014+?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 06:50:11 pm »

I've never met a frustrated minivan driver or one that was "forced" to drive a minivan.  Generally they all seem to really like their vans.  Not everyone is a wannabe race car driver or suffering from a massive lack of self confidence.  Vans are just tools and they are great at that. 

Most of the people with issues now drive SUVs.

This.  I chose a minivan as it fit my purposes the best.  And I am glad I did.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 12:37:06 am »

Bet it can take an on ramp much faster than an Odyssey!

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 12:13:01 pm »
So, guess what...?

Daycare this morning. Brand new Kia Sorento (looking pretty good in blue with snazzy wheels), so new it doesn't even have plates.

Of the cars I regularly see of note that now means we have:

- 3 brand new Kia Sorentos
- 3 Hyundia Santa Fe (down from 5)
- 3 Hyundai Santa Fe XL
- 3 Ford Explorers

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »
the new Sorento is kind of a tweener in size...it's bigger than the Santa Fe Sport (5 seater), but not quite as big as the Santa Fe XL (7 seater)...it's kind of a nice sized vehicle (not too big, not too small).

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 10:18:06 am »
we've had ours a little over a month and still love it...ours is the mid level EX trim with the 2.0T engine and AWD...regarding fuel economy, we did a trip from London to Freelton, then Burlington, then back to London last weekend...final reading was 8.8L/100 kms...i think that is pretty decent for a 4000 pound AWD vehicle wearing winter rubber.

Have you tried comparing the trip computer to manual calculations? I've been shocked at the disparity between this two numbers on this vehicle, when normally they line up pretty close...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 10:48:50 am »

Have you driven a 4th gen Odyssey (2011+)?  Especially a 2014+?

Yes,  my friend manages a Honda dealer. Have you driven a late model Accord, especially the coupe?

Back to the Sorento:  The reason my parents were attracted to it was the size. Bigger than most mini utes but smaller than the next class up.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:55:01 am by ktm525 »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 10:59:04 am »
we've had ours a little over a month and still love it...ours is the mid level EX trim with the 2.0T engine and AWD...regarding fuel economy, we did a trip from London to Freelton, then Burlington, then back to London last weekend...final reading was 8.8L/100 kms...i think that is pretty decent for a 4000 pound AWD vehicle wearing winter rubber.

Have you tried comparing the trip computer to manual calculations? I've been shocked at the disparity between this two numbers on this vehicle, when normally they line up pretty close...

And your surprised?  It is a Hyundai/Kia!   :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2016, 01:24:55 pm »

in simple terms, sure...you can't get an exact manual measurement unless you fill the tank up to the top of the neck (where you put the pump nozzle in), then take note of your distance when it is empty(ish), then fill it back up to the same spot...then do your calculation that way...you can't simply log your mileage and base it on when the pump "clicks" off...the amount of fuel could vary for a few liters depending on the vehicle, the pump and the flow rate at the time...the car's computer knows exactly how much fuel is being used, and obviously knows the distance traveled, but there are variables there as well...the accuracy of the odometer and the fact we often use different sized tires in the winter can affect the accuracy there as well...the car's computer should be pretty accurate though.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 01:47:50 pm »

in simple terms, sure...you can't get an exact manual measurement unless you fill the tank up to the top of the neck (where you put the pump nozzle in), then take note of your distance when it is empty(ish), then fill it back up to the same spot...then do your calculation that way...you can't simply log your mileage and base it on when the pump "clicks" off...the amount of fuel could vary for a few liters depending on the vehicle, the pump and the flow rate at the time...the car's computer knows exactly how much fuel is being used, and obviously knows the distance traveled, but there are variables there as well...the accuracy of the odometer and the fact we often use different sized tires in the winter can affect the accuracy there as well...the car's computer should be pretty accurate though.

I see your point here.  However, I really doubt you're going to have a variation of a few litres when the pump clicks off.  Accuracy of the odometer and different diameter tires of course can affect measurement, but not that greatly.  In my Odyssey, I have noted up to a 1L/100km difference between what the display says and what the math says.  However, over the lifetime, it's only been about a 0.5L/100km difference (approximately 30k kms).

One thing that people forget is the litres at the pump is corrected to an ambient of 15 degrees C:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm04344.html
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm00129.html

So at 25 degrees C, the correction factor of 0.9874 is applied and is what is displayed (i.e. if the display shows 10L, the actual measurement at 25 degrees C is 10.13L).  Conversely, at -25 degrees C, the correction factor of 1.0492 is applied and is what is displayed (i.e. if the display shows 10L, the actual measurement at -25 degrees C is 9.53L).  This is also part of the explanation why the hand measured fuel economy in winter can be exaggerated more.

The ECU calculates based on fuel pressure, injector flow rate and injector duty cycle.  But what the ECU can't account for is any evaporation of the fuel while in the tank.  The carbon canister traps those vapors and when the ECU turns on the purge cycle, it burns the vapors.

Just some food for thought.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 04:46:37 pm »

One thing that people forget is the litres at the pump is corrected to an ambient of 15 degrees C:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm04344.html
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm00129.html

So at 25 degrees C, the correction factor of 0.9874 is applied and is what is displayed (i.e. if the display shows 10L, the actual measurement at 25 degrees C is 10.13L).  Conversely, at -25 degrees C, the correction factor of 1.0492 is applied and is what is displayed (i.e. if the display shows 10L, the actual measurement at -25 degrees C is 9.53L).  This is also part of the explanation why the hand measured fuel economy in winter can be exaggerated more.

The ECU calculates based on fuel pressure, injector flow rate and injector duty cycle.  But what the ECU can't account for is any evaporation of the fuel while in the tank.  The carbon canister traps those vapors and when the ECU turns on the purge cycle, it burns the vapors.

Just some food for thought.
yes, hence why you pretty much need "lab conditions" to really compare the two properly...there are simply too many variables in the "real world" to effectively compare the car's computer display with what you see at the pump...the reality is, the car's computer should be pretty much bang on with what is actually used since the vehicle knows precisely how much fuel is being used and how many kms are being driven (again, tire size, etc can affect that accuracy, but let's pretend it's summer and the proper tires on installed).

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 04:51:28 pm »
thats why Fuelly is great for real world averages.  As long as there is a lot of samples.