Author Topic: 2011 Ford Edge  (Read 13347 times)

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
Re: 2011 Ford Edge
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 10:20:50 am »
duck have you thought about a Ford Escape instead? the Edge isn't much bigger...

Yeah I did but I was looking for something I can cruise with on the highway.  Also I need push button start.   I am getting spoiled with all these new bells and whistles plus I am getting old.  I do not have the time to fumble with keys.    ;D

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 12:35:45 pm »
Thank you Tauri13 for the two vehicle links. They are worth exploring some more.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 12:59:13 pm »
duck have you thought about a Ford Escape instead? the Edge isn't much bigger...

The Edge is quite a bit more substantial.  You have to go to '13 to get the new body style... 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 03:52:10 pm »

Yeah I did but I was looking for something I can cruise with on the highway.  Also I need push button start.   I am getting spoiled with all these new bells and whistles plus I am getting old.  I do not have the time to fumble with keys.    ;D
I agree with this. I was considering buying an Escape but found it had a tendency to wander on the hwy.

I found that behaviour present in the base/SE model with 16'/17'...the wider tires in the SE/Titanium fix that issue! Regardless, most compact will do that...my Jetta wanders!

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:16 pm »
Our 2011 has been to the dealer once . it has been on the road almost every single day since we had the vehicle. Has 148000km on it. It is a no drama vehicle. No drama on the highway no drama on the dirt (all grip) and no drama in the snow. With blizzacks the thing is a tank in snow. The awd, stability control and abs really work well together. The engine and tranny have been excellent.

Changed the 2 font tie rod ends,, back brakes twice, front brakes once.  At 160k it will need plugs,  front brakes, struts and shocks and all the  fluids changed. It will be good for another 100000km

Now what to look for when test driving is road noise. That is a sign of either a bad bearing or a ptu (power tranfer unit fwd to awd) failure. I replaced the bearing in the back and it was a pita to replace. A ptu  failure is very expensive to replace.

Once you decide on one take it to a ford dealer and get it checked out. Get them to check the ptu the rear bearings, the tie rods, the brakes and tires You should try to find an edge with less mileage on it. I think at 160 k you can expect some suspension and drivetrains parts need replacement. Tell them to remove the ptu fill  plug to see the condition of the oil and to see if there are metal fillings.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 08:00:48 am »
Regardless, most compact will do that...my Jetta wanders!

:think: Really? I can't remember the last time I drove a small car that wandered on the highway. Plus I've had my GTI well above legal limits and its solid.

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 06:21:48 am »
Our 2011 has been to the dealer once . it has been on the road almost every single day since we had the vehicle. Has 148000km on it. It is a no drama vehicle. No drama on the highway no drama on the dirt (all grip) and no drama in the snow. With blizzacks the thing is a tank in snow. The awd, stability control and abs really work well together. The engine and tranny have been excellent.

Changed the 2 font tie rod ends,, back brakes twice, front brakes once.  At 160k it will need plugs,  front brakes, struts and shocks and all the  fluids changed. It will be good for another 100000km

Now what to look for when test driving is road noise. That is a sign of either a bad bearing or a ptu (power tranfer unit fwd to awd) failure. I replaced the bearing in the back and it was a pita to replace. A ptu  failure is very expensive to replace.

Once you decide on one take it to a ford dealer and get it checked out. Get them to check the ptu the rear bearings, the tie rods, the brakes and tires You should try to find an edge with less mileage on it. I think at 160 k you can expect some suspension and drivetrains parts need replacement. Tell them to remove the ptu fill  plug to see the condition of the oil and to see if there are metal fillings.

My 1998 Toyota Sienna has 255000km.  It has been to the shop twice in 12 years to change the timing belt and to change the plugs.   Original struts.  Original drums...changed the shoes on the rear once.   Changed the pads on the front once.     Rotors have never been resurfaced.   I bought it used in 2003.  I think I should stick with Toyota.  ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 09:37:26 am »

My 1998 Toyota Sienna has 255000km.  It has been to the shop twice in 12 years to change the timing belt and to change the plugs.   Original struts.  Original drums...changed the shoes on the rear once.   Changed the pads on the front once.     Rotors have never been resurfaced.   I bought it used in 2003.  I think I should stick with Toyota.  ;)

What do you drive 100% highway.  Don't care if MB or Toyota, that's not normal. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
2011 Ford Edge
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:07 am »

Lol sorry that's not possible...even more doubtful given the history the engines of this generation have with sludge/failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 11:29:03 am »
Original struts too.  All parts such as tie rods are original  and yes I drive in the city of Deadmonton which is full of pot holes.  All city miles.   Toyota = quality.  Even Consumers Report the magazine says that.   :)   
I am blessed.   First trouble free vehicle I have had.   I was too lazy to change the timing belt and the plugs so that's the only reason I took it to the shop.   It was only $400 to change the timing belt.  ;)   so why not let the boys make some money. 

Original water pump, original alternator. 

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 11:31:25 am »
OOps , I forgot to tell ya I use Mobil 5/30 and I change it once a year.  I change tranny fluid every two years. 

Toyota= quality   ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 11:37:33 am »
Original struts too.  All parts such as tie rods are original  and yes I drive in the city of Deadmonton which is full of pot holes.  All city miles.   Toyota = quality.  Even Consumers Report the magazine says that.   :)   
I am blessed.   First trouble free vehicle I have had.   I was too lazy to change the timing belt and the plugs so that's the only reason I took it to the shop.   It was only $400 to change the timing belt.  ;)   so why not let the boys make some money. 

Original water pump, original alternator.

HAHA! Consumer Reports, can't take everything at face value.  While I agree that Toyotas are very reliable, as with many other Japanese brands.  But original rotors on the front? $400 for the timing belt seems pretty low.  I have to do the same with the Odyssey, but it's closer to triple that when changing the water pump too.  Front suspension is original for me, back struts have been changed.  Original alternator.  Water pump didn't fail, just changed because it was cheap to do so. 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 11:40:18 am »
I was quoted $631+200 or so for the timing belt and water pump at the DEALER for the Odyssey... $400 doesn't seem that off from that.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 12:00:29 pm »
I was quoted $631+200 or so for the timing belt and water pump at the DEALER for the Odyssey... $400 doesn't seem that off from that.

That tax in?  I was quoted just over $1000 tax in with the water pump.  Went to indie, paid $700 tax in with water pump.  $400 at the dealership, is like 40% off the quote you received, sounds pretty cheap to me. 

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 06:33:20 am »
This is my first Toyota and I am so happy with it I even forgot how to do minor repairs.    It's very boring and i like boring.    ;D

Remember six years ago Toyota had to pay up for sticky accelerator pedals?  Well turns out that part was build in Canada.  If it was built in Japan or even China it would have had quality. Just look at the iphones. Now that is quality.

Getting back to the topic at hand Toyota = Quality.   :)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:36:48 am by duck »

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 06:38:09 am »

DIY.  It will be a good experience.  I tell you its better than sex.    ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 07:01:02 am »
Do IT Yerself better than sex,U should be belted ;) ....................maybe if ya get the TIMING right.C'mon anyone know anyone who would like  to go "F^CK A DUCK?"... :pimp: >:D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 07:29:32 am »
Haha.    ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 08:03:50 am »
This is my first Toyota and I am so happy with it I even forgot how to do minor repairs.    It's very boring and i like boring.    ;D

Remember six years ago Toyota had to pay up for sticky accelerator pedals?  Well turns out that part was build in Canada.  If it was built in Japan or even China it would have had quality. Just look at the iphones. Now that is quality.

Getting back to the topic at hand Toyota = Quality.   :)

With the sarcasm in your threads it's tough to measure your sarcasm.  Canada has won many auto plant awards

http://www.tmmc.ca/en/awards.html

The topic at hand, Toyota = quality?  lol, after all that experience of your first Toyota. 

I thought the original thread was a Ford Edge...