Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R spec; Day 1  (Read 34408 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R spec; Day 1
« on: April 25, 2012, 04:05:40 am »

James' mission this week to see if the Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec is as strong a performer as it is a value for the luxury dollar.
Read More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R spec; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:03:58 am »
..Very bare bonesy interior,they have been feeding @ the BMW table..pass the SPICE.........girls................ :light:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:34 am »
I think this is a great car at a good value and really shows just how much of a value this cars is in base V6 trim.(under 40,000)

However I feel Hyundai should have invested some time in an AWD version of V6 trim to compete with the other mftg. All I see around here are G37/35X's M37x's and AWD 535's. This is the market they should tap into too and would really increase their sales of a great car in canada and the east coast of the USA. They may have this in the works but they should of had the option long ago.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:47:36 am »
I agree that AWD is an important competitive element and I expect we'll see that in the next generation, and likely on a new platform.  It isn't something that can simply be added to a chassis that wasn't designed for it. Remember, this is still the first generation Genesis that we're looking at.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:58:05 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:30 am »
^ agreed; it's a good cost cutting move to wait until the next redesign, if they bring AWD to the table.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:03:42 am »
Quote from: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R spec; Day 1
That is my job for the week — to dig down into my depth of test drive experience and decide if this Genesis R-Spec feels and performs as well — or perhaps better — than the household nameplates competing for luxury dollars.

I'm looking forward to James' thoughts as always, however I do question the premise of the review as stated above.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect the $53k Hyundai to perform as well or better than  the $75k top of the line Infiniti M56 or the who-knows-how-costly (can't get the BMW site to load) BMW 550.  The more informative question (IMO) is does it come closer to delivering the experience of the established luxury competitors than it does in price.  If it does, it accomplishes exactly what the manufacturer was aiming for.

Jaeger

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R spec; Day 1
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:44 am »
Ha I can't get the BMW configuration to load either.  I'm sure Force can chime in on Hyundai's goal but this is a loaded luxury car quite capable of taking on the big dogs IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:18:01 am »
I'm looking forward to this day by day review as well.  It certainly seems like this is a LOT of car for the money.  I'm guessing that it won't match the M and 5 series for driving dynamics, but will be extremely capable otherwise.  I think my only gripe with this car would be that it looks soooooo similar to an S series MB.  Not that it's a bad thing as I think it's a very good looking car.......but I think Hyundai could of been a little more original.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Online Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:08 am »
Ha I can't get the BMW configuration to load either.  I'm sure Force can chime in on Hyundai's goal but this is a loaded luxury car quite capable of taking on the big dogs IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Genesis, when it was launched in 2009, was intended to show people Hyundai is capable of competing toe-to-toe with the best in the world. With the addition of the new direct-injected engines (333 horsepower V6, 429 horsepower V8) and 8-speed automatic for 2012, the Genesis provides the power and refinement of luxury sedans like the BMW 5-series and Infiniti M, but for Cadillac CTS / Lexus ES money. I think James will find that the Tau V8 in that car is worthy of the 3 consecutive Ward's 10 Best Engines awards it won.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:23 am »
I think it looks great - even better in lighter colours - they have a silver one sitting outside one of the Hyundai stores in town that looks sweet.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:37:44 am »
I would love one of these with a nice thrush exhaust  but they gotta loose the R Spec designation, just leaves it to wide open to being called a Arse pic  :rofl:

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:44 am »
Quote from: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Hyundai Genesis R spec; Day 1
That is my job for the week — to dig down into my depth of test drive experience and decide if this Genesis R-Spec feels and performs as well — or perhaps better — than the household nameplates competing for luxury dollars.

I'm looking forward to James' thoughts as always, however I do question the premise of the review as stated above.  I don't think it's reasonable to expect the $53k Hyundai to perform as well or better than  the $75k top of the line Infiniti M56 or the who-knows-how-costly (can't get the BMW site to load) BMW 550.  The more informative question (IMO) is does it come closer to delivering the experience of the established luxury competitors than it does in price.  If it does, it accomplishes exactly what the manufacturer was aiming for.

Jaeger

:iagree:  I know James meant well but the real potential value is when you evaluate the car on its own.

I too wish for a AWD system; Hyundai also needs to address the interior design and so blend instrument cluster that both do not go with the admittance price.  I drove a V6 a couple of years ago and although I had no expectations I liked the driving experience very much.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:05:21 am »
I'm looking forward to this day by day review as well.  It certainly seems like this is a LOT of car for the money.  I'm guessing that it won't match the M and 5 series for driving dynamics, but will be extremely capable otherwise.  I think my only gripe with this car would be that it looks soooooo similar to an S series MB.  Not that it's a bad thing as I think it's a very good looking car.......but I think Hyundai could of been a little more original.

I think that's a fair comment and style.  We've certainly seen more adventurous styling in pretty much every Hyundai product released since the Genessi Sedan.  My guess is that for their first foray into the luxury / near luxury segment, they wanted to take a safe and conservative approach.  Hey, it worked for Lexus with the first LS.  ;)

Agreed on the bang for the buck factor as well.  Could make for a very sweet purchase coming off a 3 year lease.  Not that I'm looking ahead, or anything.  :D

Jaeger

nsmyhte

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:09 pm »

Original? Hyundai?  I don't think so.  Their whole design philosophy is ripping off other companies designs.  Thsi is actually one of Hyundai's better designs (since it looks like a Merc or Bimmer).  Just look at what happens when Hyundai tries to be original: Elantra, Sonata!  They look like some kind of mutant fish.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 12:12:12 pm »

Original? Hyundai?  I don't think so.  Their whole design philosophy is ripping off other companies designs.  Thsi is actually one of Hyundai's better designs (since it looks like a Merc or Bimmer).  Just look at what happens when Hyundai tries to be original: Elantra, Sonata!  They look like some kind of mutant fish.

Completely disagree.  Sans the Genesis, I don't think the designs of the rest of their vehicles is ripping off any other company as you suggest.  In fact, I would say that the rest of their lineup is indeed very original.  Whether you like the design of the Sonata, Elantra, etc or not is one thing, but you can't say they aren't original just because you don't like it.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:58 pm »
Original? Hyundai?  I don't think so.  Their whole design philosophy is ripping off other companies designs.  Thsi is actually one of Hyundai's better designs (since it looks like a Merc or Bimmer).  Just look at what happens when Hyundai tries to be original: Elantra, Sonata!   They look like some kind of mutant fish.

Your statements completely contradict each other.  If their "whole design philosophy is to rip off other designs", how could they produce the "mutant-fish" Elantra and Sonata?  Obviously they don't just "rip off other designs" - at least not anymore.  I'm not a huge fan of ANY Hyundai designs (not that I hate any of them, either), but you've got to give them credit for at least expanding their design envelope.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »
therein lies the rub...if you do little in terms of pushing the design envelope, you get ripped for being too bland (Honda and Toyota for example)...when you do put something else out there, you get ripped for "copying other brands" or "mutant fish" comments...no wonder car companies have a hard time designing their vehicles...damned if you do, damned if you don't.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 01:36:39 pm »
therein lies the rub...if you do little in terms of pushing the design envelope, you get ripped for being too bland (Honda and Toyota for example)...when you do put something else out there, you get ripped for "copying other brands" or "mutant fish" comments...no wonder car companies have a hard time designing their vehicles...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Bottom line is that car companies care most about sales.  Since there seem to be a lot more people lining up to buy these "mutant fish" than there were for the much more conservative-styled previous models, Hyundai can probably stand being "ripped" by the odd design critic just fine.

Jaeger

nsmyhte

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »
Original? Hyundai?  I don't think so.  Their whole design philosophy is ripping off other companies designs.  Thsi is actually one of Hyundai's better designs (since it looks like a Merc or Bimmer).  Just look at what happens when Hyundai tries to be original: Elantra, Sonata!   They look like some kind of mutant fish.

Your statements completely contradict each other.  If their "whole design philosophy is to rip off other designs", how could they produce the "mutant-fish" Elantra and Sonata?  Obviously they don't just "rip off other designs" - at least not anymore.  I'm not a huge fan of ANY Hyundai designs (not that I hate any of them, either), but you've got to give them credit for at least expanding their design envelope.

Up until the current Sonata, Hyundai designs were complete rip offs of other designs.  Then, Hyundai tried to design something on their own (or at least copy others less) and those cars don't look very good imo.

I can give them credit for finally creating their own design language but that language isn't spoken in my household.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »
Everyone is still chasing the Germans in terms of refinement, feel, design and sense of identity. What for example does it mean to be Hyundai or a Genesis relative to BMW or Mercedes Benz?

You can't expect the badge snob factor to show up this quickly.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!