Author Topic: Tire Comparison: BFGoodrich g-force COMP-2 A/S vs. Continental ExtremeContact DWS06  (Read 8258 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Two excellent high-performance tires, but which one has the edge?
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
How does high performance all season tires compare to high performance summer tires?  Reason I ask is my R has summer tires and I'm sure I'll have to replace them at some point, just wondering if a good set of high performance all seasons would give me similar handling, maybe a bit more tread life, and can be run a bit later in the fall and a bit earlier in the spring.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Some good information on comparing all season and summer tires here:    http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Summer%20Vs%20All%20Season
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
How does high performance all season tires compare to high performance summer tires?  Reason I ask is my R has summer tires and I'm sure I'll have to replace them at some point, just wondering if a good set of high performance all seasons would give me similar handling, maybe a bit more tread life, and can be run a bit later in the fall and a bit earlier in the spring.

I went through that same decision when I replaced the tires on the GTI this spring. Decision was between Pilot Sport 3 vs Super Sports and in the end I figured the number of times I would truly need the SS wasn't enough to out weigh my need to have more traction during shoulder season as we head down to the mountains.

The performance of some of the premium 3 season summer tires are really good.

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6

I went through that same decision when I replaced the tires on the GTI this spring. Decision was between Pilot Sport 3 vs Super Sports and in the end I figured the number of times I would truly need the SS wasn't enough to out weigh my need to have more traction during shoulder season as we head down to the mountains.

The performance of some of the premium 3 season summer tires are really good.

I made the same calculation.  I had summer tires on my car, but they were down-right scary in the late fall.  I've used good three-season tires over the last 5 or so years and have never regretted it.  Just this year, I picked up the Continentals reviewed in this article and they have been great.  I chose them because they had good ratings for light snow use -- we can get snow very early in the fall here in Ottawa....  These tires will not replace snow tires, but they will get you around safely (very) light snow and cold, wet weather.

Cheers,

Jay

Offline SailFastSimon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-56
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Only the good cars. Plus a couple of motorcycles. And a boat.

Where dedicated ultra high performance summer tires have an edge is in dry pavement grip. Handling feel has more to do with the tire's construction, so a good ultra high performance all-season shouldn't feel any different, it's just it'll start breaking loose a little sooner on warm dry pavement.

The extra grip is useful if you're autocrossing or tracking your car in the summer season or otherwise driving hard enough in the corners to be regularly reaching the limits of your tires' adhesion. In that case you'll probably want to keep a set of dedicated ultra high performance summer tires.

On the other hand, if you seldom or never push your car in the corners hard enough to be breaking the tires free (reaching the limits of adhesion), you might well be happier with an ultra-high performance all-season. Especially since it'll maintain its impressive levels of grip across a wider range of conditions. So you won't be able to corner quite as hard on dry pavement in the middle of the summer, but you'll be able to corner harder in so-so conditions in the spring and fall.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile

They seem to be getting better every year. I seem to recall an article not long ago comparing the Michelin Pilot AS3 with some dedicated summer tires from other top tier summer tires and the AS3 fared very well against them.  That said the AS3 seems to be a dry and wet biased AS tire so it may not be as good as some other AS tires in light snow.  There always has to be a trade off somewhere.