Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES  (Read 85878 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:13 am »

We loved the new Mirage's budget price and thrifty fuel economy, but the driving experience left us disappointed.

Read More...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:37:50 am »
Yo Mirage, the 1980s called, they want their linear temperature adjuster back.

At least you can step up to the $15k SE model and get automatic climate control.

Oh and I noticed a spelling mistake, "wiht".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:15:54 am »
Dear lord that review just makes the car sound awful.

To get cruise control and an automatic, you need to pony up over $20k in Ontario after taxes?!  Seriously, for $20k, you can get a damn fine used car.  Damn fine!

If you want cheap economical transportation, BUY USED, not diminutive.  Sh!t, some people are bad with money.

You can get a 2 year old Civic that will outperform, outlast, and out-everything this little frog for less money, but far more kit.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:18:04 am »

Oh and I noticed a spelling mistake, "wiht".

ha, i did that late last night trying to make the parenthetical comment clearer. d'oh. Must have been past my bedtime. thanks!

I think this car is goofily awesome. it's kinda terrible to drive, but it's nice to see some cheap economy cars as options, it's definitely sufficient for basic city transport, and cheaper than the Smart, which is good for a lot of people and Mitsubishi say they have focused on simplicity and durability, but will they be around for long enough for it to support and build that reputation here in NA...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:56:54 am »
   Often both Kia and Hyundai do not seem to have an offering. Anyway I think Mazda 2 would be my choice here. Tach...ok but straight forward large speedo is very nice with no messing about. It's hard to get down to the ground elegantly and encompass four people; with a small very compact body, but this one is decent. Not as nice as the Mazda 2 though in my opinion which probably has a larger footprint. I don't have a problem with the linear heater controls...probably simple direct linkages to gates...so what? and radio is just fine looking. Not a bad little city/suburbs grocery getter... general 'un-complicated' runabout.
   One is reminded though of a TV piece that showed a town in the US that catered to golf cart cars...lots of them. Customized to look like Rolls and MBs and Ferraries...even a Hummer model. Small gas or electric runabouts that you could also go golfing with. An industry in customizing and everyone had one for local off highway travel. Larger cars were used for highway travel if going out of town. Possibly not a practical system for places where there is a serious winter season, but, there anyway; cars this size might be completely squeezed out. Neither one thing or the other.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:17:04 am »
Cool little car!! Needs a 6spd manual and perhaps a tiny turbo, think 1L Ecoboost Mitsu, otherwise, not bad. I like the sliding heater controls, much more reliable and straightforward than that touch screen silliness. In this class though, the Mazda 2 or Festiva would be my choices, a little more money and enough power to be actually considered to be used on the highway. Dont know why this car appeals to me so much??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:34:27 am »
Dear lord that review just makes the car sound awful.

To get cruise control and an automatic, you need to pony up over $20k in Ontario after taxes?!  Seriously, for $20k, you can get a damn fine used car.  Damn fine!

If you want cheap economical transportation, BUY USED, not diminutive.  Sh!t, some people are bad with money.

You can get a 2 year old Civic that will outperform, outlast, and out-everything this little frog for less money, but far more kit.
Outlast? Hmm, don't think so.
Bombastic

Offline S. Aureus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Outback 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:36:29 am »
I am wondering how many people are going to do 200 km/h in this little car  ???
Perhaps it would make sense to limit the speed to 160 and stretch the speedometer scale accordingly. Too many speedos these days make it difficult to see whether you are going 30 or 45 km/h (kinda important when driving though a school zone).

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=4039

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 11:42:54 am »
I am wondering how many people are going to do 200 km/h in this little car  ???
Perhaps it would make sense to limit the speed to 160 and stretch the speedometer scale accordingly. Too many speedos these days make it difficult to see whether you are going 30 or 45 km/h (kinda important when driving though a school zone).

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2014/index.php?level=picture&id=4039

That speedo is quite clear....besides, with 70HP, 30 is going to be a big benchmark on the daily commute  ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:32:42 pm »
man, that's an ugly car...  looks like something out of 90's.. and the temp control confirms it. ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 12:39:45 pm »
it's not pretty... it's not even remotely quick... it's pretty damn stripped down.

but it's economical on fuel, as safe as a tiny metal can can be, has a practical amount of space and is cheap.

not my cup of tea, but not a complete failure i'd say.

some guy buying a cheap car for his kid... not bad. no worries about speeding, longest warranty in the business, enough room that they won't grow out of it right away... and i bet some people will find it "cute". i think once you start throwing options on it, there will be some better choices, but at its base level, good city car.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 12:54:58 pm »
this is what i would consider a penalty box, and why i initially looked at larger cars...thankfully, Kia (and others) at least allow you to buy a small car without making you feel like you are on welfare.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »
it's not pretty... it's not even remotely quick... it's pretty damn stripped down.

but it's economical on fuel, as safe as a tiny metal can can be, has a practical amount of space and is cheap.

not my cup of tea, but not a complete failure i'd say.

some guy buying a cheap car for his kid... not bad. no worries about speeding, longest warranty in the business, enough room that they won't grow out of it right away... and i bet some people will find it "cute". i think once you start throwing options on it, there will be some better choices, but at its base level, good city car.
i disagree.

the Mirage SE, with manual transmission and the "Convenience Group" (to attempt to give it some features comparable to the Rio5) is $19,754.89 all-in...bi-weekly payments for 60 months are $163.33...the Rio5 LX+ is $19,756.92 (only $2.03 more), with bi-weekly payments of $147.63 ($15.70 bi-weekly LESS), has more content, still offers a great warranty and is more likely to be around in a few years...it is less money and is a better car in every way.

Mitsubishi should be embarrassed to have this car on the lot and the only people who would buy it would be any that have done no comparison shopping or are oblivious to what else is out there.

look, i'm not saying the Rio5 is god's gift to the subcompact market...there are plenty of other cars out there that are going to be similar...maybe some will be a couple of bucks more per month, but still be seriously better than this car.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 01:04:45 pm »
Cool little car!! Needs a 6spd manual and perhaps a tiny turbo, think 1L Ecoboost Mitsu, otherwise, not bad. I like the sliding heater controls, much more reliable and straightforward than that touch screen silliness. In this class though, the Mazda 2 or Festiva would be my choices, a little more money and enough power to be actually considered to be used on the highway. Dont know why this car appeals to me so much??

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  I think you mean Fiesta.  Lol.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:28 pm »
This is the new "Accent"... I think the market needs a car like this for people who needs a cheap mode of transportation to places where there is no public transit...

this will be the car to buy for someone who is going to a college out of town for the first time...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:43 pm »

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.  I think you mean Fiesta.  Lol.

Dammit....I always get the Fiesta/Festiva mixed up, not if I saw them, in name only.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »
This is the new "Accent"... I think the market needs a car like this for people who needs a cheap mode of transportation to places where there is no public transit...

this will be the car to buy for someone who is going to a college out of town for the first time...
as i posted above, you can get a better car (Rio5) for the same or less money...there is no reason for anyone to buy the Mirage unless they happen to stumble into the parking lot and say "OOooo, that is a nice green colour, I'll take it".

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »
Except a Rio5 won't do under 6L/100 in the city. Apparently it has enough trouble achieving 7 in the real work.

Someone using no hypermiling techniques just anticipation of traffic conditions managed to do 4.9 L/100km in the city in the Mirage with the manual and 5.6 with the CVT.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:39:49 pm by DKaz »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 01:43:16 pm »
Shootout between a Mirage 5MT vs. Mirage CVT vs. an old heavily eco-modified Geo Metro:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/city-ecodriving-comparison-2014-mirage-cvt-vs-mirage-27384.html

One thing to note that while the Mirage is way better than most cars except hybrids in the city, it's not that great on the highway. My comfortable Mazda 3 can do about the same if not better.

But 80% of my driving is in the city.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:18 pm »
yeah jeffer, and as my comment said, "i think once you start throwing options on it, there will be some better choices, but at its base level, good city car"

so no extra options... funky colours, long warranty, cheap... it's attempting to appeal to young people (read: girls) who don't know anything about cars and want what they see as trouble free driving in something individual looking enough they can call their own. THAT car will sell.. or at least draw in a buyer who might get upsold on the less competitive models/options.

and to the gas mileage on the hwy point, now that i'm driving my winter beater, i am realizing what makes a "city car"... 2000lbs, tiny engine, made for the stop an go and slower speeds. on the highway, it's working hard (3500rpms+) and not in it's element. the mazda3 is meant for more commuting, so it will do as well at higher speeds.