Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta TSI  (Read 15153 times)

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta TSI
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:50 am »
With the Jetta hybrid there are 5 engines to choose from.  Can't think of any other cars with so many engines available.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 11:05:34 am »
$6,000+tax more than a Corolla with Tech.
Fuel economy -  Jetta 9.3/6.3 Corolla 7.7/6.0

No wonder I don't see many of these on the road.

Without context I could do this too:

Jetta Trendline $14,990
Corolla LE Eco tech $25,260

$10,000 more for a Corolla! 

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:13 am »

Jetta Trendline $14,990

I was comparing equivalently equipped models, I am not sure what you are doing???

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:07 am »
The only correct assessment for the compact category is value for money.
The value equation is what exactly?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:58 am »

Jetta Trendline $14,990

I was comparing equivalently equipped models, I am not sure what you are doing???

can you truly say it's "equivalent" when corolla feels like a tin can and jetta feels like a german sedan?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:07 am »
We're complaining about the price of a Jetta now?  ::)

Yes, the 2.0L sucks, but Toyota still uses that POS 4-speed automatic in the Corolla CE. Luckily, both the Jetta and Corolla have better options available. At least with the VW you can get an upgraded engine. The 1.8L in the Corolla isn't anything to brag about...

Yes, the Jetta tops out at a much higher price point. The fuel economy is reflection of the fact that the Jetta has a lot more power than the Corolla. According to Motor Trend, the Jetta does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds vs the Corolla at 9.7...

How many Corolla's going out the door are equipped with the 4-speed?

Hardly think 0-60 times will sway 99% of the buyers.
 ::)

How many 4-speeds? I don't know - how many get sold into rental fleets?  :P I kid of course, as you are right - probably not many. I assume that on a percentage basis, the 2.0L Jetta occupies more of the sales volume within the Jetta lineup that the 4-speed in the Corolla's. (I'm just bitter that the last gen rental 2013 Corolla I have while my Civic is getting the deer-induced damage dealt with has that crappy 4-speed. That thing is horrible!)

As for the 0-60 times, I have to agree, most folks wouldn't look up the times themselves. However, the Jetta's large advantage here would be apparent in any but the most rudimentary test drive. Basically, anyone who drove both would know that the Jetta was a far more powerful car.

Of course, as others mentioned, I'm not sure who would cross shop a Jetta and a Corolla. While they both are in the same class, I feel that they appeal to different buyers.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 12:13:08 pm »
^ some people ( not me) feel a trunk is more secure than a hatch even with a tonneau cover.  Some just don't like the look of hatchbacks...think they look stubby.

+1 Hatchbacks always have smaller trunks with a lot less square area than their sedan equivalent. I don't want to drop a seat or remove the tonneau to fit two suitcases. I don't mind the look, but my wife doesn't seem to like hatches (unless they are jacked up wagons disguised as SUVs  ::) ).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 12:17:49 pm »
The Jetta Comfortline with the TSI is the value leader of the line-up, and on my shopping list. I would be tempted to upgrade to the Highline, but would skip the 2500$ stereo upgrade. I actually want that stereo, but don't need or want to pay for nav.

Jeff, regarding your comments on the Fender stereo, did you have a chance to try the 9-speaker Bose surround system that is STANDARD in the 26k$ Mazda3 GT?

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03:47 pm »
  Personally I like the fact that VW offers many engine options...you should see how many in the UK! That is still a solid chunk of cash when taxes and other items are added in, kind of puts the car against some more upscale offerings. As for the built in Mexico factor, I had a 03 Sentra SE-R built in Mexico that never once had a single noise peep out. It was built very well which couldn't be said for the engines made in Japan...#1 engine lasted 66K and #2 lasted 100K.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »

Jetta Trendline $14,990

If you're comparing to a 1.8T that's a tough comparison to make, with the Jetta power that's in a different segment compared to Corolla.  If people don't care about power then 2.0 Jetta is in play (as bad as that engine is).  I give VW credit for giving people such a huge variety of options though.  Wish Honda and Toyota would too. 

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 01:53:33 pm »

Jetta Trendline $14,990

Really? So you are saying the engine is equivalent?
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »
The only correct assessment for the compact category is value for money.
The value equation is what exactly?
Value is not an easy equation. You can start from features, engine, reliability, safety.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 03:07:30 pm »
^ some people ( not me) feel a trunk is more secure than a hatch even with a tonneau cover.  Some just don't like the look of hatchbacks...think they look stubby.

+1 Hatchbacks always have smaller trunks

That's weird, I have always found the opposite.  Even without the seats down I feel like the trunks usually hold more.  Not sure what the actual specs are.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »
The little bits about poor design choices (lack of auto headlights) and the questionable build quality coming from Mexico really scares me away from this.  The price is the nail in the coffin.

What could otherwise be a stellar car is simply held back by reputation for poor quality - moving to Mexico really wasn't a great choice.

Haven't Jettas been built in Mexico for 20+ years now? I don't think we can keep blaming the country. Also, I've never heard of this generation of Jetta having a poor rep.
My issue with Mexico is in relation to the need to pay off Cartel as ransom for parts en route to the factory.  How nobody else sees that as a problem is beyond me.  I don't need the Jetta to be built in Germany, but it should be conflict-free, much like people tend to care about "blood" diamonds or "fair-trade" coffee.

First of all,  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: I love South Park references!!!

Second, I will mention it at every opportunity because I think it's downright wrong to move production to the 'cheapest place' because of lower wages, especially if some costs are allocated to paying off ransom.  I, personally, wouldn't start paying ISIS to build cars because they're willing to do it at a discount...

If Hyundai can move the Elantra without the name behind it, why can't VW?  Price/Feature Content.  Gotta give a little to get a little...
What does this mean?  ???
Premise 1: Hyundai sells more Elantras than VW sells Jettas
Premise 2: Hyundai sells Elantra on the value equation (a lot of features for less money than the competition)
Premise 3: VW sells the Jetta at a price premium over its competition when competitively equipped
Conclusion: It stands to reason that if VW dropped the price of the Jetta, or included more options as standard, more vehicles would be sold on the same basis as Hyundai has sold Elantras.

I assure you it wasn't the driving dynamics of the Elantra that sold everyone on a relatively unknown brand with a poor reputation for reliability.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 07:36:15 pm »

can you truly say it's "equivalent" when corolla feels like a tin can and jetta feels like a german sedan?

The latest Corolla didn't feel that way to me. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 08:12:42 pm »

Perhaps not a tin can but a Jetta or Golf is a nicer place to spend time than a new Corolla IMO. They also drive better.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 08:25:42 pm »

Perhaps not a tin can but a Jetta or Golf is a nicer place to spend time than a new Corolla IMO. They also drive better.

Can't drive that much better.  One of the writers from TTAC had a Camry around a race track on 2 separate occasions and said the Camry was the more engaging, funner car than a Jetta or Passat.

Honestly...how great of a driver can it be if a Camry is more fun?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 08:36:05 pm »
The little bits about poor design choices (lack of auto headlights) and the questionable build quality coming from Mexico really scares me away from this.  The price is the nail in the coffin.

What could otherwise be a stellar car is simply held back by reputation for poor quality - moving to Mexico really wasn't a great choice.

Haven't Jettas been built in Mexico for 20+ years now? I don't think we can keep blaming the country. Also, I've never heard of this generation of Jetta having a poor rep.
My issue with Mexico is in relation to the need to pay off Cartel as ransom for parts en route to the factory.  How nobody else sees that as a problem is beyond me.  I don't need the Jetta to be built in Germany, but it should be conflict-free, much like people tend to care about "blood" diamonds or "fair-trade" coffee.

Second, I will mention it at every opportunity because I think it's downright wrong to move production to the 'cheapest place' because of lower wages, especially if some costs are allocated to paying off ransom.  I, personally, wouldn't start paying ISIS to build cars because they're willing to do it at a discount...

Typical Noto: Can't back up his claims so he changes his story. The post I replied to talked only about quality in regards to Mexico and nothing more.

Can you share links about these ransoms that are being paid? I can't find anything when I search for Mexico, Volkswagen, and cartel/drugs/ransom.

And why don't you ever b*tch and moan about the other companies that have Mexican plants? Seems like only VW and Honda get that hate around here.

If Hyundai can move the Elantra without the name behind it, why can't VW?  Price/Feature Content.  Gotta give a little to get a little...
What does this mean?  ???
Premise 1: Hyundai sells more Elantras than VW sells Jettas
Premise 2: Hyundai sells Elantra on the value equation (a lot of features for less money than the competition)
Premise 3: VW sells the Jetta at a price premium over its competition when competitively equipped
Conclusion: It stands to reason that if VW dropped the price of the Jetta, or included more options as standard, more vehicles would be sold on the same basis as Hyundai has sold Elantras.

I assure you it wasn't the driving dynamics of the Elantra that sold everyone on a relatively unknown brand with a poor reputation for reliability.

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think Volkswagen is targeting the exact same customer base as Hyundai is, nor are they chasing the ultimate sales crown. Your oft repeated "conclusion" is a joke. Like I've said before, you can say that about literally every car on the market. "If brand X dropped the price of model Y, or included more options as standard, they would sell more of them." Well, duh. But this industry is not that simple.

You're talking as if the Jetta is some sort of failure. Far from it. In Canada, Volkswagen has easily doubled Jetta sales since 2010 and have enjoyed seven consecutive years of growth. On a per capita basis, the Jetta is nearly twice as popular in Canada as it is in the U.S. The Jetta is in sixth place in its segment, outselling compacts like the Focus and Sentra last year. Volkswagen is certainly punching above its weight with the Jetta considering it has less dealers than its competitors and is the 11th most popular brand in the country. They're also not piling on incentives to do that.

Volkswagen gets a lot more value out of the Jetta by tweaking it and freshening the product than it would by simply lowering prices to NoTo's ridiculous standards. The Jetta has always been positioned a 1/2 step above the other compacts. That's not going to change – at least not by Volkswagen moving the Jetta down half a rung price-wise.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:39:00 pm by OliverD »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:12 pm »

Can't drive that much better.  One of the writers from TTAC had a Camry around a race track on 2 separate occasions and said the Camry was the more engaging, funner car than a Jetta or Passat.

Honestly...how great of a driver can it be if a Camry is more fun?

Well I dunno about the Camry but the Corolla isn't at all engaging. It drives better than the Elantra (which is horrible IMO) but the steering feel in the Golf is definitely superior and the interior is much nicer. IMO, of course.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 08:39:55 pm »
On a per capita basis, the Jetta is nearly twice as popular in Canada as it is in the U.S.

But that's not because the Jetta is a great car over here and a crap car in the USA.  That has more to do with Canadians preferring smaller cars in general.