Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon  (Read 10211 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
« on: May 20, 2011, 04:05:40 am »

The Wrangler Rubicon's combination of extreme off-road abilities, acceptable on-road manners and value for money, is impossible to beat, says Greg Wilson.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:27:44 am »
If it only came with a diesel, the tough guy image would be complete.

Don't think this is a vehicle that many farmers would choose; they would rather kit out their pickups to keep them as work vehicles.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:36:27 am »
I love these things, and if it didn't have such dismal fuel economy, I'd probably own one.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 10:04:14 am »
My Dad owns a 2008 Wrangler Sahara, which is the 'mid-range' vehicle.  It doesn't have all the off-road bits that the Rubicon has, although it is still very capable.  It's got a few more creature comforts though; power windows/locks, cruise control, upgraded sound system, etc.

I find it to be a very fun and satisfying vehicle to drive.  It's boxy, so you know where the ends of your vehicle are at all times.  The gears engage with a satisfying 'thunk'.  The V6 is so torquey that it's perfectly happy being shifted at 2000 rpms around town.

It has a certain kind of uncouth charm that you just don't find in any other vehicle.  My next vehicle (once my truck is paid off) will probably be a Wrangler.  I'm just hoping it's still around [mostly] unchanged in a few years.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:21:00 am »
An old buddy of mine had a late 90's Wrangler - great for cruising in the summer with the top off, and of course getting around in deep snow in the winter.  But for highway travel - absolutely terrible.  And no cargo capacity for camping supplies either (of course, this was pre-Wrangler Unlimited).  I wonder if the new Pentastar V6 will improve the fuel economy, but I suspect there's only so much you can do for a heavy vehicle with the shape of a brick.

And by the way, I would include the Xterra alongside the FJ Cruiser as potential competitors.  Similar length, weight, and nearly the off-road capability of the Wrangler.  And all 3 still available with a stick! 

And finally Greg, where have you seen "farmers" who need/use a Wrangler?  Just what exactly would a farmer use this for?  Most farmers I know will use a quad, a 4X4 pickup, and of course a 4X4 tractor, but a Wrangler?

Thomas

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:30:27 am »
As someone who has owned and lived with a couple of late model jeeps I have to say I don't completely share the authors love affair of the Jeep.  Like the author, I love the imagery the Jeep brings to mind, and even the feel of the drive.  I think most Jeep owners feel this moment you stick the key in the ignition and pull off the lot, but then you begin to live with the vehicle....  The Jeep is a GREAT concept but poorly executed, and extremely poorly backed by the manufacturer.  Soon after you pull off the lot the problems start, and I'm not talking minor ones.  Mine has never been off road and is on it's 3rd manual transmission.  Incase you think it's the driver and not the vehicle Google Jeep exploding transmission, pops out of gear, or death wobble just to name a few of the issues Jeep has stranded owners with.  In the case of the transmission Jeep is on at least their 3rd redesign for the JK.  The worse part is they are obvisiously aware of the issue but fight you on the repair despite the fact it is under warranty.  Then there are the water leaks, burning oil, and poor overall material quality.  My Ford Taurus with 120k miles showed less interior wear then my Jeep with 60k. Best thing that could happen to Jeep is for Chrysler to finally go out of business and let another manufacturer pick up the brand.  I'm all for the ruggedness vs glamor, but I still expect the vehicle to exhibit quality, durability, and perform well.  On a scale of 1-5 stars, I give Jeep 0, and Chrysler owes ME 3 stars for all my time in the shop, and on the phone just trying to get them to perform warranty work.

que

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:44:50 am »
I am surprised this didn't get the new 3.6 pentastar.  It would make this a great vehicle.  All the other engines are gone, not sure why this OHV unit got to stay.  All those concerned about fuel economy, the pentastar engine would have addressed it.  Can you hear Fiat?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
The Pentastar is coming next year, I believe. There's only so much upgrading Chrysler can do at once.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:49:56 pm »
Have bought a half-dozen Jeep CJs and later over the years. The basic models are inexpensive to buy and good work trucks for snow plowing and hauling stuff around with a small trailer. The quality, however, is abysmal and repair costs ridiculous.

My favorite was a Jeep derivative, the 1967-1973 Jeepster Commando. Chrysler is talking about building a modern version called the Gladiator.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1967-1973-jeepster-commando-21.jpg.jpg
http://www.wheeldriver.com/wp-content/gallery/images/2005JeepGladiatorConcept1.JPG
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:52:08 pm by Gardiner Westbound »
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:26:15 pm »
I drive a '98 Wrangler TJ and love it. Overall it has been a reliable workhorse, no problems with the 4.0 inline 6 cylinder and the tranny has held up well, just starting to have a problem with the second gear synchro. I installed an auto-locker in the front differential and this Jeep will now go anywhere through and over anything. I use my Wrangler as a daily driver and also run it off-road virtually everyday as well.

As for the new Wranglers (JK), I would either buy the base model and build it up...or I would buy the Rubicon. The fact that the Rubicon comes stock with Dana 44 axles front and rear PLUS has selectable lockers on both axles is a major plus right off the bat.

One beef I have, even with the new models, is the poor driver seat vs steering wheel vs pedal situation. It really limits adjustability for many potential customers, especially when that airbag seems so close to your face.

If you have kids in car seats and you think this ( four door model ) would make a great all-rounder that you can play with on the weekends, think again. Rear seat access, even with those doors, is cramped. Trying to lean in and adjust a child's car seat straps will require the services of a Registered Massage Therapist.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »
Anybody considering a Wrangler, just wait for 2012 for the Pentastar.  Hopefully the newer engine will be able to help the fuel economy at least a bit.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:40:06 pm »
And finally Greg, where have you seen "farmers" who need/use a Wrangler?  Just what exactly would a farmer use this for?  Most farmers I know will use a quad, a 4X4 pickup, and of course a 4X4 tractor, but a Wrangler?
this probably goes back to Jeep's post war dilemma...after selling several hundred thousand for military purpose, the company needed to find a way to market the vehicle after the war...they did so by targeting farmers...the jeep was actually a decent alternative to a light duty tractor, or as a complimentary "tool" to other heavier farm equipment.

as much as i like these vehicles, i just couldn't buy one...my boss owns a 2006 and has had nothing but problems with it...as well, even when it was still under warranty, they were always finding ways to decline warranty work for him, likely because "it's a Jeep"...he was having some engine knocking in the bottom end and took it in to get looked at (while it was under warranty)...he had all of his oil changes, except 2, done at the dealership in the past 3 years, and since he didn't have it receipts for the other two, they told him his warranty was void...as well, any time he needs stuff for his jeep, it costs a fortune...those silly little plastic "hooks" that hold the hood down have broken, and were something like $200 each for replacements.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:39 pm »
Having owned a TJ for 11 years and only selling it because I couldn't put a rear baby seat in it, I'm really considering buying an Unlimited.  This past Saturday I drove a Sahara unlimited and it surprisingly feels like I'm back in my TJ except that the ride quality and noise is much better but the deal breaker for now is the slug of an engine.  I felt like pulling off my belt and whipping it so that it would maybe move a bit better.  I'll be waiting for the Pentastar or even better, a diesel.  Something this heavy really needs some torque.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 08:46:39 am »
Having owned a TJ for 11 years and only selling it because I couldn't put a rear baby seat in it, I'm really considering buying an Unlimited.  This past Saturday I drove a Sahara unlimited and it surprisingly feels like I'm back in my TJ except that the ride quality and noise is much better but the deal breaker for now is the slug of an engine.  I felt like pulling off my belt and whipping it so that it would maybe move a bit better.  I'll be waiting for the Pentastar or even better, a diesel.  Something this heavy really needs some torque.

Mozeby, be sure to take a child seat with you and try installing it in the back seat. Then, while standing outside, as you normally would, pretend that you are strapping your child into that seat. It is a bit of a stretch and twist beyond what you might be comfortable with. Also, that narrow rear door opening isn't any help, either.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:07 am »

Mozeby, be sure to take a child seat with you and try installing it in the back seat. Then, while standing outside, as you normally would, pretend that you are strapping your child into that seat. It is a bit of a stretch and twist beyond what you might be comfortable with. Also, that narrow rear door opening isn't any help, either.
I don't doubt that it isn't a pain in the ass to get a kid in the back. I climbed in myself and found the doorway a bit narrow and awkward but the space once in there is adequate. The only other thing I question is the price.  A four door Sahara stickers anywhere from 35 to 40 K. You're really paying a premium to look cool in one of these.

SJP

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 03:45:55 pm »
I am repeating myself for about the 800th time, but if this came with a diesel, I'd have one in my driveway, too bad :(

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:17 pm »
I am repeating myself for about the 800th time, but if this came with a diesel, I'd have one in my driveway, too bad :(

I hear ya.  This thing is so suited to a diesel it's insane that it has that gas six.  Of course, Jeep would justify the added cost of the diesel engine by only offering it in a high-ball trim with a ton of luxury features, and volumes would be horribly low, so they'd blame the engine, not the top-of-the-line pricing, and kill it.

A base four door Wrangler with a six cog manual, roll up windows, basic audio and cruise control with a diesel.

SJP

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 09:10:49 pm »
A base four door Wrangler with a six cog manual, roll up windows, basic audio and cruise control with a diesel.

AMEN, I could give up the cruise, but otherwise, exactly what I would want. Oh and no carpet. I agree, it is the PERFECT vehicle for  diesel, from increase torque, improved fuel economy, ability to idle all day long crawling through the woods, etc. But I also agree, that if they did offer it, you would be required to get all the goodies.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 10:23:37 am »
The Wrangler is available with a 2.8L turbo 4 cylinder diesel in Europe and Australia.

Personally, given the choice in reality, I would stick with the engine I have. The inline 4.0L six has plenty of low end grunt, its a simple layout and has proven to be as reliable as an anvil in all situations. Lots of parts are available and complete engine assemblies are available as well.

The diesel is going to add more complexity(turbo), weight and more importantly, big bucks.

The real keys to serious off-roading are gearing, ground clearance and locking diffs.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 02:23:31 am »
The Wrangler is available with a 2.8L turbo 4 cylinder diesel in Europe and Australia.

Personally, given the choice in reality, I would stick with the engine I have. The inline 4.0L six has plenty of low end grunt, its a simple layout and has proven to be as reliable as an anvil in all situations. Lots of parts are available and complete engine assemblies are available as well.

The diesel is going to add more complexity(turbo), weight and more importantly, big bucks.

The real keys to serious off-roading are gearing, ground clearance and locking diffs.

I think the main reason people have said they want a diesel is for the fuel economy.  Anyone who has ever owned a Jeep knows the fuel eco. is no better than some full size trucks.