Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Mazda6 GT  (Read 25775 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Mazda6 GT
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 05:16:18 pm »
Canada loves the Mazda 3.  We owned a 626 back in the 80s (a 1988 model to be precise) and it was a fantastic car.  It was also a HUGE step up from the 323.  It was larger, much more comfortable, came with way more equipment, and looked better.

Today, the 3 is too good.  I can get it in a hatch, with lots of goodies, lots of power, it's great looking, etc, etc.  The 6 is now more like a 3.75, at best...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 06:19:32 pm »
Your choice of cloth or leather seats depends on which trim level and transmission you choose: base Mazda6 GX models with the manual or automatic transmission come with black cloth seats but are not available with leather. Mid-level GS models with the manual transmission have black cloth seats but when equipped with the automatic transmission and the optional Luxury Package are also available with black or white leather seats. Top-of-the-line GT trims with either transmission offer a choice of black or white leather seats, but not cloth.

This is what bothered me when purchasing my Mazda.  I didn't mind having to get the GS, to get the Soul Red, and the luxury package to get the leather, but you can't do that in manual... And there was no 2015 Mazda6 GS in Red Soul Mica with manual.

If Mazda wants to increase their sales in Canada, they have to do what they did with the first gen.  Offer a sport hatch, a wagon, bring AWD to the table.  Offer us something that sets it apart from the others.  Like others have said, its a small niche to fill.  But the Legacy offers AWD, and others are following the trend for AWD option.  Not sure about the economies of scale, but as we know, they already make the wagon.  And I don't think it would really eat into their CUV sales...

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2015, 08:53:42 pm »
I thought the article says you need the GT model plus the optional tech package to get satilite radio?
This can't be true.....can it?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 09:07:48 pm »
I thought the article says you need the GT model plus the optional tech package to get satilite radio?

oh it is true.  Another example of poor packaging.  Thankfully that's something I don't care about.  Or sunroofs.  Pisses my brother off though...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 09:11:07 pm »

oh it is true.  Another example of poor packaging.  Thankfully that's something I don't care about.  Or sunroofs.  Pisses my brother off though...

Bizzare. Then again is Sat radio really a selling feature any more....I suspect they did this so they don't have to put up the money for Sat radio that nobody will care about in vanilla Mazda 6 GS Automatic that will be the main seller.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 11:42:21 pm »

Bizzare. Then again is Sat radio really a selling feature any more....I suspect they did this so they don't have to put up the money for Sat radio that nobody will care about in vanilla Mazda 6 GS Automatic that will be the main seller.
Certainly not a deal breaker, but but having to plug in a reciver and cables to a magnetic antenna in the gs model is rather annoying. I haven't had to do that since my 2007 impress.

Come on Mazda you're better than that!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2015, 12:25:57 am »
If anything, Mazda's new highly-marketed warranty will resonate with consumers more than a facelift.  With that being said, I personally think this is the best looking family sedan out there right now.

Agree on the looks. However the new warranty enhancements might only lead to more sales of 3s and CX-5s.
This car has been in crisis since about 2007 as other manufacturers upped their game in the mid-size segment. I also found the seating position odd at the auto show last week.

Only in Canada, in other markets like the US and Europe, the Mazda6 is at it's best sales ever...

Sorry, but the US sales stats would seem to indicate that the 6's improvement is only on the level of
"less dismal". It still sold at a a ratio of 1-7 verses the segment leaders last year.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/01/usa-midsize-car-sales-figures-december-2014-year-end.html

Don't get me wrong. I like the car and have owned three over the years. It just can't seem to gain traction in a competitive, PRICE SENSITIVE, mid-size sedan market. Your buying experience in your last post may explain one area of concern for buyers. As for bringing back the wagon, the original wagon was discontinued here in 2007 because of very slow sales.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:34:18 am by sacrat »
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2015, 12:31:48 am »
I'm just reading CR's Annual Auto issue on my tablet. It's interesting to note that the Mazda 6 scores very high on both reliability AND owner satisfaction. So those relatively few who do go down this road seem to be happy. Hopefully Solstice, your ownership experience will be a rewarding one

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Mazda6 GT
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 12:38:12 am »
Poor Mazda! But it's time for them to supercharge and add AWD to the 6!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:09 am »
If anything, Mazda's new highly-marketed warranty will resonate with consumers more than a facelift.  With that being said, I personally think this is the best looking family sedan out there right now.

Agree on the looks. However the new warranty enhancements might only lead to more sales of 3s and CX-5s.
This car has been in crisis since about 2007 as other manufacturers upped their game in the mid-size segment. I also found the seating position odd at the auto show last week.

Only in Canada, in other markets like the US and Europe, the Mazda6 is at it's best sales ever...

Sorry, but the US sales stats would seem to indicate that the 6's improvement is only on the level of
"less dismal". It still sold at a a ratio of 1-7 verses the segment leaders last year.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/01/usa-midsize-car-sales-figures-december-2014-year-end.html

Don't get me wrong. I like the car and have owned three over the years. It just can't seem to gain traction in a competitive, PRICE SENSITIVE, mid-size sedan market. Your buying experience in your last post may explain one area of concern for buyers. As for bringing back the wagon, the original wagon was discontinued here in 2007 because of very slow sales.

Mazda doesn't expect to sell 100k units a year in the US.  The 3 & CX-5 each sell just over that, and they are in a much more popular segment.  Sure the competitors are expected to sell that much.  Mazda is neck and neck with the Legacy.  It will be interesting to see how this changes this year, as the Legacy was just updated.  Mazda would probably exceed their expectations if they hit 75k units a year.  But its still doing better, and making more profit now, then ever....

As for the slow sales of the wagon... that's in the US.  They don't break up the numbers, so there is now way to know how they sold here.  But I see sport hatches and wagons more than sedans...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 08:49:12 am »
I'm just reading CR's Annual Auto issue on my tablet. It's interesting to note that the Mazda 6 scores very high on both reliability AND owner satisfaction. So those relatively few who do go down this road seem to be happy. Hopefully Solstice, your ownership experience will be a rewarding one

I think it will be, based on passed experiences.  It's my 3rd Mazda, two from my local dealer (including this one), and the other was in Vaughan.  Local dealer didn't have it...

Offline TheNit

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 11:38:48 am »

Certainly not a deal breaker, but but having to plug in a reciver and cables to a magnetic antenna in the gs model is rather annoying. I haven't had to do that since my 2007 impress.

Come on Mazda you're better than that!

So you cannot get the GT with a manual transmission and get Sirius radio. While I can see that some of the things included in the tech package wouldn't work with a manual (radar cruise control?), Sirius radio wouldn't be one of them.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 10:02:57 pm »
So you cannot get the GT with a manual transmission and get Sirius radio. While I can see that some of the things included in the tech package wouldn't work with a manual (radar cruise control?), Sirius radio wouldn't be one of them.
Actually, because the ACC is not capable of Stop & Go, transmission choice has technically nothing to do with the ACC option. If you are in a sub-optimal gear, the ACC will display a shift suggestion in the HUD. Similarly, the City Braking function is also technically dependent on transmission either because it is offered as standard on the mid Center-line trim in other markets regardless of drivetrain. It is more a choice of Mazda's packaging, figuring the take rate with the manual + technology options would be too low to justify adding functionality.

Now, if the ACC had Stop & Go, like in the case of many cars such as the Golf, BMWs, etc... then the transmission has to be somewhat automated (either DCT or automatic) since the car needs to start-off again after a stop.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:04:58 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2015, 08:41:59 am »
I was pretty disappointed with the black interior when I checked it out at the auto-show. I was hoping they'd have one with the white interior there.

When we had the 5 in for service, I took a 2014 GS out for a drive. Great cruiser, comfy, handled ok but no where near the driving experience of the first gen.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 09:09:48 am »
I think Mazda needs to offer the wagon version of this here in NA to truly differentiate itself from the rest of the pack and hopefully boost its sales.  How could something that looks this good not sell here?  ???

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 09:29:58 am »
I was pretty disappointed with the black interior when I checked it out at the auto-show. I was hoping they'd have one with the white interior there.

When we had the 5 in for service, I took a 2014 GS out for a drive. Great cruiser, comfy, handled ok but no where near the driving experience of the first gen.

I disagree, the car feels much more planted when I'm whipping around the corners. And I had a 2008 Mazda6 GS V6 to compare it to.. The luxury package with the white interior and red soul is my favourite combo, but not avail in manual!  So dumb!

Not sure how you were disappointed with the black.  Its a good quality interior.  Yes it's all black, but so are many others...

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 12:36:14 pm »

I disagree, the car feels much more planted when I'm whipping around the corners. And I had a 2008 Mazda6 GS V6 to compare it to.. The luxury package with the white interior and red soul is my favourite combo, but not avail in manual!  So dumb!

Not sure how you were disappointed with the black.  Its a good quality interior.  Yes it's all black, but so are many others...

I had an 05 hatch. The 3rd gen is far and away a better overall car, but I still think the first gen was a more satisfying drive since it was smaller. Maybe I should try a GT!

Totally agree on the red exterior/white interior, that looks fantastic. I think I had too high expectations on getting to see the white interior which could be why I didn't like dark interior.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 03:57:54 pm »
^ The GX,GS & GT would drive the same? same engine, same suspension, firmer ride with the 19" tires though vs the 17" on the GS.  I don't notice any difference between my GX and GT.  Except my GX is manual and one of the test drives I had was the GT.

Offline RayT

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +23/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »
Was shopping between the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord. I would have taken the Mazda 6 over the Accord in a heartbeat if I could get the options I wanted.

I wanted some of the new safety features as it’s my wife’s kid hauler. The Accord EXL has desirable leather seats (kid spills), blind spot camera, collision warning for under $30K and is only missing LED or Xenon headlights, homelink as the two features I wanted. The Mazda GT with Tech package at $35K put it out of contention for us.

Shame, the Mazda 6 looks great and drives great, but they have to package their options better

Offline sly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »
I think that Mazda is it's own competitor here. The 3 is so good and so much more affordable that the small space advantage is not worth the extra money, so buyers stick to the 3 rather than buying a 6. As for all the electronic guizmos, I find few people care for them if they have to pay extra, especially older folks who don't see what these electronic assists will change from what they have been used to. Young people who may be interested can't afford the extra cost and will stick to basics with a 3.