Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist  (Read 8120 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:02:59 am »

Although not a full hybrid, the Buick Lacrosse eAssist impresses us with decent fuel economy and a stylish interior.

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:26 am »
Agree with much of the article. One suggested insertion to the conclusion:
"For those who want luxury and good fuel economy but could care less about “fun to drive,” or valueBuick hasn’t completely forgotten about you… yet."

That's still a pricey pseudo-luxury vehicle pushing less than 200hp.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:10 am »
I've never understood the thinking behind GM's mild hybrids. Either include real hybrids in your line up or don't but this "dipping your toe in the water" approach seems silly. It kind of reminds me of the days when they put out "Rally", SS or GT" models where the only difference from the regular model was stripes,spoilers and fake air intakes.  ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:06 am »
I've never understood the thinking behind GM's mild hybrids. Either include real hybrids in your line up or don't but this "dipping your toe in the water" approach seems silly. It kind of reminds me of the days when they put out "Rally", SS or GT" models where the only difference from the regular model was stripes,spoilers and fake air intakes.  ::)

At least the 'badges-galore' are gone on this model :D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:49 am »
This thing must be glacial slow the Regal is pretty snail like :P

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:54:01 am »

:iagree:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:27 am »

Wut?

It's the same 182hp ecotech powertrain as the regular Regal, but with an extra 15hp coming from the electric motor.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:55 am »

Wut?

It's the same 182hp ecotech powertrain as the regular Regal, but with an extra 15hp coming from the electric motor.

Yeah but isn't a LeCrosse a lot bigger/heavier than a Regal?...(and a Regals is no rocket)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:35 am »

Wut?

Yeah but isn't a LeCrosse a lot bigger/heavier than a Regal?...(and a Regals is no rocket)

4000lbs of American Steel

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:11:56 am »

Slow?  I am so very shocked!  ;)

I am also struggling with the whole "mild hybrid" concept.  All of this for a meagre boost of 15hp?  But I really struggle with the application in a large, luxurious and expensive cruiser like the LaCrosse.  Are buyers of that type of vehicle looking for something underpowered and only very mildly "green"?

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:14:06 am »

I am also struggling with the whole "mild hybrid" concept.  All of this for a meagre boost of 15hp?  But I really struggle with the application in a large, luxurious and expensive cruiser like the LaCrosse.  Are buyers of that type of vehicle looking for something underpowered and only very mildly "green"?

Jaeger

That's the big question, especially since the 303HP V6 is cheaper.  But, like I said in the review, I think the typical 'Buick' buyer wouldn't know much difference if they weren't told.  The engine is good enough for the Lacrosse to get out of its own way.

9.9 L/100 km ain't bad for 4000 lbs either......just not my cup of tea.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:46 am »
A Buick is a Buick and always will be a Buick.  It's still not something I'd want to be seen in and I'm soon to be 64.  I much prefer European design and engineering.  I guess I'm still young at heart.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:40 am »
That's the big question, especially since the 303HP V6 is cheaper.  But, like I said in the review, I think the typical 'Buick' buyer wouldn't know much difference if they weren't told.  The engine is good enough for the Lacrosse to get out of its own way.

Bingo - so why does a traditional Buick buyer - who expects a strong, smooth V6 - pay MORE money for LESS motor?  Is the traditional Buick buyer so fuel-economy fixated that they would embrace the concept of marginally better consumption as a justification for increased cost?  Remember that the traditional model of engine hierarchy runs something like smaller + less powerful + better fuel economy = less expensive, bigger + more powerful + worse fuel economy = more expensive.  I don't see the traditional Buick buyer readily accepting a whole new equation.  Can anyone see Infiniti successfully charging MORE money for the G25 versus G37 on the basis of the slightly better fuel economy of the former?  Even if they stuffed a 15hp electric motor in it and called it e-something?

And when we come to the non-traditional Buick customer - how on earth does Buick pull the attention of an ES350 or Genesis-intender with something "glacial"?  With nearly $47k to spend, what brings THAT buyer to THIS Buick?

The car may be all kinds of "good enough" when viewed in isolation, but it doesn't make any kind of sense to me when viewed in the context of the market segment - particularly with it's own V6 fraternal twin sitting right there looking more appealing and costing less, to boot.

Jaeger

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:19 am »

Jaeger
i agree as well...i don't get the whole "mild hybrid"...it seems like a lot of extra technology, weight and cost added for a marginal improvement...i think the Infinti M35h might be one of the best hybrids out there...power, luxury, performance and somewhat "affordable" (relatively).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:05 am »
I'm confused, does the 15 hp electric motor actually assist the engine or does it just keep it turning it over when the gas is shut off while coasting?

I assume the battery is being recharged by the engine? How long will it last?

Why don't they use this assist with the regular V6 engine if it improves fuel economy?

9.9 litres/100 km is poor fuel economy

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 10:45:16 am »

Bingo - so why does a traditional Buick buyer - who expects a strong, smooth V6 - pay MORE money for LESS motor?  Is the traditional Buick buyer so fuel-economy fixated that they would embrace the concept of marginally better consumption as a justification for increased cost?  Remember that the traditional model of engine hierarchy runs something like smaller + less powerful + better fuel economy = less expensive, bigger + more powerful + worse fuel economy = more expensive.  I don't see the traditional Buick buyer readily accepting a whole new equation.  Can anyone see Infiniti successfully charging MORE money for the G25 versus G37 on the basis of the slightly better fuel economy of the former?  Even if they stuffed a 15hp electric motor in it and called it e-something?
Jaeger

Ask Ford trying to pull the same stunt with the Ecoboost Explorer costing 1K more than the V6.

..."This can be tracked on the real-time fuel consumption computer, which reads 0.0 L/100 km when coasting, with your foot completely off the accelerator"...

Any regular car will do that now.  I can see 0.0 L/100 anytime I coast on my ScanGauge.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 10:50:06 am »
A Buick is a Buick and always will be a Buick.  It's still not something I'd want to be seen in and I'm soon to be 64.  I much prefer European design and engineering.  I guess I'm still young at heart.

I wouldn't mind being seen in a Regal GS at all - that is a nice ride.  I've got a little ways to go to 64 - maybe I'm old at heart.  :)

Jaeger

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
Yup as Minou said, any vehicle gear engaged rolling over idle will use zero fuel

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:31 am »
"I wouldn’t want to be a Buick sales rep trying to tell his or her “traditional customers” (insert your own stereotypes here) that they need to pay more for less: “Why, yes sir, for only $690, we will cut your power in nearly half and remove the spare tire for you. As a bonus, a good chunk of usable trunk space will also be taken up by a battery pack.”

Mike, that is exactly what I thought when reading the article.  I suspect this will be a tough sell for Buick salespeople.  And removing the spare tire alone would be a deal breaker for me.  On the other hand, unlike some other posters, I think GM may be on to something with their mild hybrids.  The potential of regenerative braking and the extra torque upon initial acceleration could be worth it IMO - if the battery pack is small and light.  Problem is, GM NEEDS to use a mild hybrid to cover up the fact that their vehicle is overweight and underpowered (in both LaCrosse and Regal applications). Maybe if added to a lighter vehicle (like the ATS, under 3500 lbs) this mild hybrid could be more effective.

I see that the price range for the Lacrosse goes from 35 to 45K - what do you get for that extra 10K?  I bet GM dealers would easily give you 5K off the price - I suspect they'd have to if they want to sell any.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 11:06:55 am »
I'm confused, does the 15 hp electric motor actually assist the engine or does it just keep it turning it over when the gas is shut off while coasting?

I assume the battery is being recharged by the engine? How long will it last?

Why don't they use this assist with the regular V6 engine if it improves fuel economy?

9.9 litres/100 km is poor fuel economy

For my daily drive and commute, 9.9 isn't bad at all.  For comparison, I get between 8.0-9.2 for most compact cars.  I bet james will be much lower in the lighter Regal