Author Topic: Lincoln Continental concept  (Read 14181 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Lincoln Continental concept
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2015, 12:32:26 pm »
Looks like the Bentley designer isn't very happy about the new Continental...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bentley-designer-slams-lincoln-continental-concept-on-facebook/

When the Dearborn-designed Lincoln Continental concept made its debut, more than a few observers noted its Bentley-esque overtones. Bentley designers feel the sedan is a blatant ripoff of their own Flying Spur. Just prior to the New York auto show, where the Continental concept will make its public debut, a rather heated exchange of messages took place on the Facebook pages of Bentley chief designer Luc Donckerwolke and his counterpart at Lincoln, David Woodhouse.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2015, 12:40:23 pm »

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bentley-designer-slams-lincoln-continental-concept-on-facebook/

When the Dearborn-designed Lincoln Continental concept made its debut, more than a few observers noted its Bentley-esque overtones. Bentley designers feel the sedan is a blatant ripoff of their own Flying Spur. Just prior to the New York auto show, where the Continental concept will make its public debut, a rather heated exchange of messages took place on the Facebook pages of Bentley chief designer Luc Donckerwolke and his counterpart at Lincoln, David Woodhouse.

^^^ what he said.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2015, 12:43:28 pm »
The Globe and Mail article says the car will have 'laser aided high beams'       As the NTHSA is not allowing Audi's laser aide headlights I wonder if they will allow once a US mfr wants to use them.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »
The Globe and Mail article says the car will have 'laser aided high beams'       As the NTHSA is not allowing Audi's laser aide headlights I wonder if they will allow once a US mfr wants to use them.
Did the G&M specify that it'll be sold with that feature in Canada or the US?  ...or sold 'elsewhere' with those high-beams?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »
Way too much chrome going on inside for my taste but in general I quite like it.

I see some of the Volvo S90 concept in it along with A8 much moreso than Bentley Conti.

Probably FWD based platform no? Stretched Taurus thing? RWD would be cool though.
Lets hope the actual car measures up. The Genesis has upped the game of offering FGC for $25k less.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »

Yeah but does he have any actual legal grounds to stand on or is he just a little whiny because the Lincoln kind of looks like his car?? If this is an issue, how come every CUV that comes out looks almost 97% the same as its competition and I haven't heard anyone whine about it??
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »

A heated Facebook exchange between designers.  :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 12:57:20 pm »
Did the G&M specify that it'll be sold with that feature in Canada or the US?  ...or sold 'elsewhere' with those high-beams?
No it didn't...but the NTHSA are in the process of looking at automobile lighting systems, why I don't really know but I would not be surprised to see a Diktat saying that retrofitting HID systems into reflector headlights will be illegal in the USA.  People did complain to them about HIDs.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 02:56:46 pm »

^^^ what he said.

+1

It looks a bit like a cross between the Bentley and the Audi A8 but admittedly, most higher end luxury four door sedans look similar.  Hard to differentiate them.

Yep. Very much Bentley. Prolly why I liked it  :)
At the same time there are lots of twins out there, e,g, Sonata and Legacy. It's nothing new, so Bentley ppl should cool it.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 02:58:22 pm »
It's nothing new, so Bentley ppl should cool it.
I don't agree.  Just because it happens doesn't mean it's right.

This one is more offending by using the same bloody name.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:52 pm »

Yeah. Bentley should drop a storied Ford nameplate.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 03:26:23 pm »
I don't see a huge resemblance. Certainly nowhere near what transpired with Aston.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 03:34:49 pm »
Yeah, I'm sure Bentley could do a mean Crown Victoria.  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
I don't see a huge resemblance. Certainly nowhere near what transpired with Aston.

Me neither. At most the mesh in the grill bears some resemblance but that's it.

I like interior even more today than I did yesterday...I also think it (the interior) looks production-ready rather than a fanciful show concept.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 04:17:37 pm »
Yeah. Bentley should drop a storied Ford nameplate.
WAR!   :rofl2:

Remember, it won't confuse any of us...but there are enough people out there that care so little about cars that when you ask what they drive, they'll give you a resoundingly assured response of "a white car :)"

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 04:48:39 pm »

I think it'd very hard for Bentley to try to stop Ford from naming it a Continental...the Lincoln Continental started production back in 1940. Bentley started using the name in 1952...12y later! Would they be crazy to start a battle over the name? the outcome could very well be disastrous for their brand.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 04:58:26 pm »
I think it'd very hard for Bentley to try to stop Ford from naming it a Continental...the Lincoln Continental started production back in 1940. Bentley started using the name in 1952...12y later! Would they be crazy to start a battle over the name? the outcome could very well be disastrous for their brand.
Outcome, at worst, would be a dismissal of the claim and a cost award of a few hundred grand.  Success would result in Ford paying Bentley several million and injunctive relief.  It'd be worth it.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:14 pm »
Outcome, at worst, would be a dismissal of the claim and a cost award of a few hundred grand.  Success would result in Ford paying Bentley several million and injunctive relief.  It'd be worth it.
don't be one-sided NoTo...worst possible outcome would be Bentley being forced to pay millions or being forced to change the name of their product - which obviously was stolen from Lincoln and they've been using it erroneously since 1952.  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 05:19:41 pm »
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150331/OEM03/150339944/did-lincoln-continental-rip-off-bentley-design-chiefs-clash-online

Lincoln spokesman Stephane Cesareo said the automaker has the right to use the Continental name on a vehicle in any country Lincoln cars are sold. And that includes China, he said. Ford Motor has kept the Continental trademark current, he said, even though the name has been out of the Lincoln lineup for more than a decade.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 09:31:50 am »
Ford Motor has kept the Continental trademark current, he said, even though the name has been out of the Lincoln lineup for more than a decade.
I'd have to look into it and properly source my answer like a good SirO would, but you can have a registered, or UNregistered Trademark.  I suspect this is the latter, which is not afforded the same protection at law as the former.

This is likely good for both companies - the media attention will bring two fading names (which are the same, coincidentally...) back into the spotlight.  It may help sell a few of them for both.

...but if you're the designer of an icon, I can understand that you'd be upset by copy-cats.  Let's not forget how upset Mark Stevenson was when someone ripped off his article once.