Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan X-Trail, 2005-2006  (Read 29670 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Nissan X-Trail, 2005-2006
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:05:31 am »

The Nissan X-Trail is a solid small SUV with an unfortunate rust problem.

Read More...

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Nissan X-Trail, 2005-2006
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:03 am »
My girlfriend happens to own another vehicle that is not sold in the USA like the Nissan X-Trail.

A white 2008 Mercedes-Benz B200.

Anyone else want to add to the list? 
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:43:00 am »
Much prefer the look of these to the Rogue. I'm glad the centre instrument cluster fad has passed.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:30:37 am »
Much prefer the look of these to the Rogue. I'm glad the centre instrument cluster fad has passed.

While I don't mind the old "two box' look in SUV's I've always thought this vehicle looks too narrow for it's height and length.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:33:48 am »
My wife owns a 2006 X-Trail SE AWD which she's had since new.

The main reason she chose the X-Trail over the CR-V, RAV4 or something else was that the X-Trail was the only mainstream compact SUV that offered a manual transmission with a sunroof...and a very large sunroof at that.  I don't think that anyone offers this combination any more, including Nissan.

Overall her X-Trail has done the job she wanted it to.  It's fairly roomy and comfy, good for winter driving, camping and skiing.  Fuel economy is OK.  But it seems to us that the X-Trail has had more niggling problems than our other vehicles from Honda and Mazda.  And finding parts is a pain in the @ss; because it was never sold in the U.S., there is virtually no aftermarket parts or support for it.

Another maddening thing about the X-Trail is the stock tire size: 215/65-R16.  This is more a passenger car size than an SUV tire size (they're usually 70 profile), so it's also been a pain finding good tires to suit it.  Last time we had to order Yokohama Geolandar AT-S from Tire Rack USA, as Yokohama Canada doesn't carry the size we needed.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »
i always liked these vehicles...i was sad to see it go.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 12:46:35 pm »

The main reason she chose the X-Trail over the CR-V, RAV4 or something else was that the X-Trail was the only mainstream compact SUV that offered a manual transmission with a sunroof...and a very large sunroof at that.  I don't think that anyone offers this combination any more, including Nissan.

Forrester too and still.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 12:57:48 pm »
A great little vehicle, we've put over 150,000 km on our 2006 Bona Vista model with no mechanical problems!
Too bad Nissan replaced it with the Rogue. IMO I much prefer the boxy Land Rover-like styling of the X-Trail.
If Nissan Canada would bring in the 2013 Diesel powered X-Trail that is available in Europe and Asia, I would buy one tomorrow (are you listening Nissan)

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »

Forrester too and still.

Yes, you're right.  I'd forgotten about the Forrester, but in fact we did check it out then.  However the previous version (back in 2006) was significantly smaller than the X-Trail, especially in the back seat, and dearly priced IIRC.

Offline DarkHelmet

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '10 Golf 2.5 5-spd, '06 X-Trail BV
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:45:22 pm »
Love my '06 X-Trail Bonavista.  Approaching 100K with very little complaints.  It ain't the prettiest girl at the party, but she holds her own in so many other ways that count.

And as others have already mentioned, the combination of features that make this vehicle a standout - the super huge sunroof, heated cloth seats, selectable AWD/4WD/2WD, fold-flat cargo area, etc. make it a winner for me.  Of course, there's also the "AMC Pacer-like" visibility.  The Rogue is an entirely different vehicle, and to me, was a bizarre choice as its replacement here in Canada.

Ace, ditto on wanting the diesel to come over to N/A!  Too bad Nissan can't (or won't) make that happen in Canada.  What a combination that would be.  I heard the Mazda CX5 will be offered in diesel, soon.  Opportunity missed, in my opinion.   8)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »

Couldn't agree more, on both statements.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:27:45 pm »
+1 to the other comments - I've always really liked this trucklet for its boxy styling and unique features.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:05 pm »
Seriously nice vehicle. great flat 'seats down deck'...love it. Like central instrument cluster but whenever it is done usually a hash is made of it. I like the style also. Refreshing from globules I think. Did not know that the Rogue hed replaced it. AH well.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 08:14:46 pm »
 "One is a problem with rust occurring around the left rear wheel arch, apparently caused by improper application of rust proofing at the factory."

While robots are more efficient than "mere humans", this is a perfect illustration of how they will also carry out a flawed task perfectly over and over and over....
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 03:19:20 am »
It's nice to see a review of the X-Trail.  Actually, the X-Trail was sold here starting in 2003.

I think it has one of the best side profiles of any suv.  But the front end looks like a toy and the back end is just awkward.

I've always liked the X-Trail.  We were close to buying one until we heard a new Grand Vitara was coming out.  Since the X-Trail lacked a low range, we waited to see if the new GV had a low range.  It did, so the X-Trail was passed up.  (This may have something to do with my id.)

Compared to the GV, the X-Trail gets better mileage and has more cargo area.  And you can only get Traction Control and Stability Control as an option on the most costly LE version, while these systems were standard on all GV's.  Another plus for the X-Trail is that it can be driven in 2wd, while the GV can't.  The GV has a longitudinal engine for better balance, though.  The long flat roof would be handy for people carrying paddlecraft etc.

In places like Australia, the X-Trail has proven to be very capable in light off-roading.

The X-Trail has drink chiller/warmers.

The X-Trail seemed fairly expensive, and this was reflected in the prices for used ones.

Nissan replaced the X-Trail with the Rogue.  Other markets such as Europe have the Xtrail II, which retains most of the unique styling.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:32 am »
Ace, ditto on wanting the diesel to come over to N/A!  Too bad Nissan can't (or won't) make that happen in Canada.  What a combination that would be.  I heard the Mazda CX5 will be offered in diesel, soon.  Opportunity missed, in my opinion.   8)
does that diesel engine meet Tier II/Bin 5 emissions regulations for North America??...likely not, which is why it isn't here...nothing to do with Nissan not wanting it here, or some other random conspiracy theories.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-765
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:56 am »
It's nice to see a review of the X-Trail.  Actually, the X-Trail was sold here starting in 2003.

Not true. '05 is the first model year available here.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:30 am »

Never been a fan of them either, but I think usually those centre-mounted instrument pods are less a styling statement and more just a cost-efficiency measure to minimize the changes required to sell certain cars in both RHD and LHD markets.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:12:32 am by lebowski »

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:05 pm »

Never been a fan of them either, but I think usually those centre-mounted instrument pods are less a styling statement and more just a cost-efficiency measure to minimize the changes required to sell certain cars in both RHD and LHD markets.

Agreed. Anyone that tells me they are thinking about getting a Rogue and asks for my thoughts, I cheekily reply, "Why?". I just happen to think the Rogue is up there with ugliest vehicles on the road.

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 01:46:03 pm »

Agreed. Anyone that tells me they are thinking about getting a Rogue and asks for my thoughts, I cheekily reply, "Why?". I just happen to think the Rogue is up there with ugliest vehicles on the road.

+1 Every time that commercial for the rogue would come on I'd change the channel. It's like the Murano, only uglier.

Although I used to hate centre mounted gages, with the possibility that a mini cooper may be added to my driveway in the near future, their sort of shabby charm is starting to appeal to me. And in the x-trail's case, although they would be an ergonomic nightmare that invites backseat driving, they almost look like they belong there. The design feels we thought out to me.