Author Topic: I might get a GTI....  (Read 38442 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Re: I might get a GTI....
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 08:54:22 am »
This is cabin fever. I'm well familiar with the symptoms, and am suffering with it yet again.  :P GTi, R, used S4/5, Q50, ..and APR etc. List Pros and Cons on a sheet of paper. Sound familiar.... On such a list, I've found one abstract thing which is "sobering" for the Pro side of keeping an existing car - " it keeps your short term future options open"   :think:

I also think a GTi is a great choice and I'm still considering it myself, although I would miss some things and we already have a hatchback for carrying stuff. Can't go too far wrong with any version. One thing is, will VW service be overloaded in future.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 09:30:33 am »
Both are great cars, but I wonder what prompts you to trade the 3er if driving fun is the priority. The costs of trading and getting a new car are higher than maintaining the 3er.

Then again, I haven’t driven an xDrive BMW sedan so perhaps it is different from the normal rear drive versions.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
I might get a GTI....
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 10:03:17 am »

Both are great cars, but I wonder what prompts you to trade the 3er if driving fun is the priority. The costs of trading and getting a new car are higher than maintaining the 3er.

Then again, I haven’t driven an xDrive BMW sedan so perhaps it is different from the normal rear drive versions.

Go find his FGC thread and you will understand why.

I'd get a Mustang Ecoboost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:46 am »
If you tick remarkably few boxes on a GTI build sheet, you will end up quite close to the price of a base Golf R.  If you find yourself doing that, get the base R.

To me, best GTI has the tartan cloth seats and a stick.  But I won't judge anybody who gets the DSG.

This. Base GTI or R.. Loaded GTI makes little sense to me, because the price difference is small and it lacks AWD, driftability and power.

The price difference between a GTI Autobahn and a base R is still $6k, and the only major equipment differences (aside from the obvious mechanical ones) are that the R has standard leather and no sunroof while the GTI has standard cloth and a sunroof. Add leather to the GTI and the difference is still almost $5k. That's not insignificant.

The prices really only get close if you want a GTI Performance which has the standard tech package.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 12:53:01 pm by OliverD »

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 12:48:54 pm »
How much money will you lose trading in the BMW?

I would be astonished if it's more than the BMW costs over the next 4 years.

The GTI is awesome but the BMW is more fun and maybe cheaper in the long run.

I am gong to be out a significant amount on trading the bmw, it's really the only thing holding me back.  I could easily be part of the upside down thread! Once I get back to spring I should be good until next winter again if I can hold out.

Offline ElectricMayhem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +10/-69
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 01:10:21 pm »
The price difference between a GTI Autobahn and a base R is still $6k

A GTI Autobahn in manual with only the Tech box checked is MSRP $37495.
A base R is MSRP $41700.

The difference is $4205, and the outstanding residual on the R will practically erase that difference after 3 years.

You will not recover any value from the options on the world's most expensive GTI, after surprisingly few years of ownership.  They will be worth pennies on the dollar.  All they will do is help you get a faster sale.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:14:43 pm by ElectricMayhem »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 01:18:30 pm »
The price difference between a GTI Autobahn and a base R is still $6k

A base R is MSRP $41700.

The difference is $4205, and the outstanding residual on the R will practically erase that difference after 3 years.

You will not recover any value from the options on the world's most expensive GTI, after surprisingly few years of ownership.  They will be worth pennies on the dollar.  All they will do is help you get a faster sale.

Why are you comparing a GTI with tech and an R without tech?

Offline ElectricMayhem

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 02:13:16 pm »

The comparison is between a lightly optioned GTI (I only checked one box!) and a base R.

I stand by my recommendation that you go 1) base GTI or 2) base R, and stay away from optioned GTIs, especially heavily optioned GTIs.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 02:28:40 pm »

The comparison is between a lightly optioned GTI (I only checked one box!) and a base R.

I stand by my recommendation that you go 1) base GTI or 2) base R, and stay away from optioned GTIs, especially heavily optioned GTIs.

:fiver:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 02:41:43 pm »
I am gong to be out a significant amount on trading the bmw, it's really the only thing holding me back.  I could easily be part of the upside down thread! Once I get back to spring I should be good until next winter again if I can hold out.

That Bimmer of yours will continue to depreciate rapidly within the next 2 years and one significant problem and it will take you out $$$$.

Might as well harvest the sales tax credit while the car has some value.  Plus we need to read about another new purchase.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:57 pm »

When I compare cars I tend to try to equate the equipment. If you're checking one box it would make sense to choose the leather package, considering that's what the R has standard. If someone is interested in a GTI with the tech package then chances are they'd want that option on the R as well.

If you're leasing the excellent residual of the R is negated by the high interest rates: 6% vs 1% on the GTI. So on a three year lease an R is ~$150 more a month than a GTI with leather.

I think VW's biggest misstep in pricing the GTI is forcing the tech package if you want the performance package. That's what puts the price very close to the R. Meanwhile, in the U.S., they offer the GTI in three trim levels and the performance pack is a standalone option on all three.

I don't think the choice between the GTI and the R is that clear-cut regardless of how they're equipped. It's all in what you prioritize and whether you're buying or leasing. For me, the R is currently a non-starter simply because it doesn't have a sunroof.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 07:18:42 pm »
I'd love a 5-door GTI, cloth, manual, no options except the Performance Pack. That would be my ideal Golf, and shouldn't cost more than $33k or so.

But to get the PP in Canada, I'm stuck with a bunch of other stuff I don't want (especially that stupid sunroof! :stick:  ;) ) so price is $38k. For that money, I think I'd spend the extra $2k and get a base R instead.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »
I've never actually seen a golf r here in Newfoundland.  I am only able to roll 15% of the msrp of the gti Into the purchase so that leaves me a little short to pay off the bmw.  With respect to optioning the gti, again we are extremely limited here, there are three available, all five doors wth autobahn packages.  The midnight blue has leather and there is a red with tech package as well.  It would be great if we had some options here but unfortunately we are literally at the end of the line for car delivery. 

I am being offered 19,000 trade which really seems low but that's two dealerships with the exact same offer, might try one more but I have a feeling with our limited market that's it.  There is a nice 2015 ecoboost premium mustang that's been sitting around waiting for a new owner.  It's 0% for 6 years and all in it is $1000 less than the gti autobahn with leather.  For the same price as the gti it seems like a decent buy.

I can't believe this is post # 1000!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 07:56:30 pm »
I've never actually seen a golf r here in Newfoundland.  I am only able to roll 15% of the msrp of the gti Into the purchase so that leaves me a little short to pay off the bmw.  With respect to optioning the gti, again we are extremely limited here, there are three available, all five doors wth autobahn packages.  The midnight blue has leather and there is a red with tech package as well.  It would be great if we had some options here but unfortunately we are literally at the end of the line for car delivery.

I am being offered 19,000 trade which really seems low but that's two dealerships with the exact same offer, might try one more but I have a feeling with our limited market that's it.  There is a nice 2015 ecoboost premium mustang that's been sitting around waiting for a new owner.  It's 0% for 6 years and all in it is $1000 less than the gti autobahn with leather.  For the same price as the gti it seems like a decent buy.

LOL. I chose exactly how I wanted my GTI, placed a factory order, and waited four months for them to build it and put it on a boat. You do have options.

(And congrats on the 1,000! :) )

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 09:34:04 pm »
There is a nice 2015 ecoboost premium mustang that's been sitting around waiting for a new owner.  It's 0% for 6 years

That would be a real error unless you're looking for a Mustang that has zero exhaust tone, uses 91 octane and is slower than the V6.  How many test kms on it?  3:55 LSD option?   FYI, 2015 had serious rear window alignment issues.  Take a look.  Visit Mustang6g.com for further info.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 09:43:16 pm »
There is a nice 2015 ecoboost premium mustang that's been sitting around waiting for a new owner.  It's 0% for 6 years

That would be a real error unless you're looking for a Mustang that has zero exhaust tone, uses 91 octane and is slower than the V6.  How many test kms on it?  3:55 LSD option?   FYI, 2015 had serious rear window alignment issues.  Take a look.  Visit Mustang6g.com for further info.

V6
C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.4 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 20.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 102 sec
Top speed (governor limited): 124 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 164 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

Ecoboost
C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.4 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 31.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.0 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.9 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 149 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 150 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.96 g

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 09:57:05 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5X9sUIbwoQ

2nd race approx. 2 min mark for v6 v eco.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:05:01 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline ElectricMayhem

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 10:16:51 pm »
A base R is MSRP $41700.

Actually, the base R is $39,995 with the manual.  I suspect not for long.  I would think the 2017's will jump in price.

I think you'll find that my figures are correct after you add freight and federal A/C tax.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2016, 10:51:47 pm »

LOL. I chose exactly how I wanted my GTI, placed a factory order, and waited four months for them to build it and put it on a boat. You do have options.

I agree with Heli, never let that limit you.

You'll paying a lot of money, get exactly what you want.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 01:02:32 am »

I agree with Heli, never let that limit you.

You'll paying a lot of money, get exactly what you want.

Agreed. Your 335i should last a few more months without major repairs... :P