Author Topic: "LT" vs "P" Tires  (Read 8680 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
"LT" vs "P" Tires
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:20:18 am »
The lines between "cars" and "SUV's" seem to be getting quite blurry with all the new car based crossovers. Are LT tires needed for CUV's or a passenger car tires right?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: "LT" vs "P" Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:38:05 am »
This may sound like a silly answer but:

Whatever the Manufacturer has specified for that particular vehicle. That will take into account, weight ( laden vs unladen) performance, suspension design, expected use etcetera. 

The owners manual combined with the plate on the drivers door post will specify all the permissible tire combinations.
Why would one second guess that.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:14:54 am »
This may sound like a silly answer but:

Whatever the Manufacturer has specified for that particular vehicle. That will take into account, weight ( laden vs unladen) performance, suspension design, expected use etcetera. 

The owners manual combined with the plate on the drivers door post will specify all the permissible tire combinations.
Why would one second guess that.

Nope,not a silly answer....makes sense to me

It's just that most of the OEM tires I've had in the past seemed to be such c#@p that I've become a bit wary of "manufacturers recommendations"

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:48:12 am »
In general, I don't think you're going to find LT tires on anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. Even most 1/2 ton pickups come with P-metric tires, so I can't imagine any manufacturer putting them on a CUV.

Unless you're regularly taking your CUV onto the kind of off-road terrain where torn sidewalls and punctures are a big concern (and why would you do that with a CUV?), LTs are totally inappropriate and would be serious overkill, IMO.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:53:38 am by SiRCivic »

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 12:28:51 pm »
In general, I don't think you're going to find LT tires on anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. Even most 1/2 ton pickups come with P-metric tires, so I can't imagine any manufacturer putting them on a CUV.

Unless you're regularly taking your CUV onto the kind of off-road terrain where torn sidewalls and punctures are a big concern (and why would you do that with a CUV?), LTs are totally inappropriate and would be serious overkill, IMO.

And would ride like crap too.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:53:03 pm »
I have LT on my Pathfinder because of the type of driving it sees.  I see no reason to get LT's for anything unless you really need the toughness of them as they tend to have more ply's than P rated.  I may go to P for the next set of summer tires though as the type of driving I am doing has been changing over the last year.

Oh the ride?  Fine by me.  The winters whine a fair bit though.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Squishy

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:20:07 am »

:iagree:

Right on.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 07:11:04 am »
Sailor. I was not suggesting that you'd stick with OEM tires by brand... I agree that they are often crap.

Pick the brand you are happy with but stick to the size and construction specified for the vehicle..

Squishy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 03:01:51 pm »
And even with OEM brands, they are often specially formulated to meet manufacturer specifications for wear, handling, etc., and don't always match what you get in the retail version.

morty

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 12:28:38 am »
In general you wont find LT tires in the sizes associated with CUV's.