Author Topic: Fiat Chrysler recalls  (Read 24088 times)

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Re: Fiat Chrysler recalls
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2016, 08:33:11 pm »
^Is yours an electric brake? I kinda miss the "zzzzzzzzzHNURK" of the electric parking brake on the Outback. It would get looks in the parking lot.  ;D
My Cherokee has an electric park brake. Whisper quiet. I have set to engage automatically when the transmission is put into park.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »
^Is yours an electric brake? I kinda miss the "zzzzzzzzzHNURK" of the electric parking brake on the Outback. It would get looks in the parking lot.  ;D
My Cherokee has an electric park brake. Whisper quiet. I have set to engage automatically when the transmission is put into park.

Hmmm...can you set it to engage in Drive or Neutral so you don't run yourself over?   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2016, 08:39:06 pm »
Crazy. Just today I was hooking up the Ramcharger to the camper to get it ready for the weekend, i had two inches to go back to line up under the tongue, i hit the parking brake and jumped out to remove the wheel chocks, walked back to the cab... whoops left it in reverse.

No harm done the brake held the rig, but I couldn't help but think of this thread, stupidity, and how even an 'intuitive ' shifter doesn't exempt those who may receive Darwin Awards in the future.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2016, 09:23:00 am »

Hmmm...can you set it to engage in Drive or Neutral so you don't run yourself over?   :rofl:
It automatically applies the park brake if the door is opened and the transmission is not in park. So yes, it will not run me over. Glad to see you thought that was worth a  :rofl:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2016, 09:49:51 am »

Nope, set it with my left foot every time   ;D  Only difference between this & what I used 30yrs ago was now you press on it to release it, no more pulling the handle under the dash to release the parking brake  :rofl2:

The best part of the old foot brakes was pulling the handle in winter and getting a face full of slush as the brake pedal sprung back into place. ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:51 am »

Nope, set it with my left foot every time   ;D  Only difference between this & what I used 30yrs ago was now you press on it to release it, no more pulling the handle under the dash to release the parking brake  :rofl2:

The best part of the old foot brakes was pulling the handle in winter and getting a face full of slush as the brake pedal sprung back into place. ;D

Or all over your pants and jacket   :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:27 am »
It automatically applies the park brake if the door is opened and the transmission is not in park. So yes, it will not run me over. Glad to see you thought that was worth a  :rofl:

When does it release the parking brake? Do you have to hit the gas and then it auto-releases? Or if you close the door, it releases and runs you over?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2016, 01:27:14 pm »
pretty sure when it sets like that, it needs to be released manually... foot on the brake and press down the brake switch.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 10:45:04 am »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/news/recalls/parents-of-star-trek-actor-sue-fca-over-fatal-crash/article31253482/

obviously the lawsuit was coming.... and the media will have a heyday with it... "fca puts profits over safety" and all the usual....

what the hell does that have to do with it? they changed something, people couldn't figure out the change despite specific literature on the "issue"...

i would hate this if it was any other brand as well... much like i was on toyota's side with the floor mat thing... sometimes people need to be protected from themselves... but there is a point that you have to put up your hands ans say, "we tried, you are just too unwilling to learn or listen".

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 11:08:18 am »
^ this is the same as the un-intended acceleration of Audi's back in the 80's, or the Toyota ones from a few years ago... can't forget the interview with the guy who owned a Prius & it accelerated on him unintentionally & he was frightened for his life, but did he try to put it into neutral, or press on the brakes???  NO!!!  Can't prevent stupid!!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:57 pm »
and that is even tougher to figure out for some than just to *put the car in park*. it's not like it was jumping out of park, or refusing to go in... the just didn't... put... the... car... in... park.

and then complained that it wasn't in park.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 09:22:04 pm »
I read today a recall letter on his car arrived in his mail. Yep, FCA, great timing. Real class.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »
I read today a recall letter on his car arrived in his mail. Yep, FCA, great timing. Real class.

By law, the recall letter has to go to every owner.  The process is automated.

It's not like FCA searches for everyone who may be deceased before they send out an automated letter FFS....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2016, 10:28:34 pm »
They don't give a :censor:. It's a number game: money made on "coolness" of badly designed tranny shifters VS public casualties. I get it. There is probably one Yeltchin among their customers. Could they not anticipate this and removed the name off the mailing list?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
then some widow would complain of favourtism or pandering to the media by removing the famous guy, but not her dead husband...

you can't win.

if they just stuck with the same designs that have worked forever, we would be complaining on here that the car feels outdated... or that they aren't taking any chances...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2016, 01:43:52 pm »
then some widow would complain of favourtism or pandering to the media by removing the famous guy, but not her dead husband...

you can't win.

if they just stuck with the same designs that have worked forever, we would be complaining on here that the car feels outdated... or that they aren't taking any chances...

Nope, you can't win!!  In the meantime, I'll be waiting as long as possible to complete the repair on mine... once I get the recall that is  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2016, 06:27:36 pm »

That's BS and you know it.  Nobody is calling ANY car company outdated or unwilling to take chances because they still use a traditional shift lever.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:09 pm »
Funny , the wife had a GC rental , she did not have any problems, or noticed anything different with the shifter
 ???

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2016, 07:01:20 pm »
Funny , the wife had a GC rental , she did not have any problems, or noticed anything different with the shifter
 ???

She prolly had a new GC

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2016, 07:05:32 pm »
 ???

I don't know if that's a good thing...or a terrifying thing.