Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1624852 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #4440 on: October 19, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
^ Even with the new furnace and a/c installed.  Heat rises.  My basement is always cooler than the main level.  And my bedroom is always warmer than the main level (in a 3 storey house anyway)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4441 on: October 19, 2016, 11:41:05 am »
^ Even with the new furnace and a/c installed.  Heat rises.  My basement is always cooler than the main level.  And my bedroom is always warmer than the main level (in a 3 storey house anyway)

yeah, but the fact that I can constantly circulate the air in the house now will make a huge difference in temperature differential.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4442 on: October 19, 2016, 05:38:51 pm »
New (to me) racing boat for next year. Smaller and more "geriatric" friendly then the previous boat and less complicated to crew.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4443 on: October 19, 2016, 07:30:34 pm »
New (to me) racing boat for next year. Smaller and more "geriatric" friendly then the previous boat and less complicated to crew.

:o, that is great

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:53 pm »
That's quite the armada you're amassing.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:20:35 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4445 on: October 19, 2016, 08:15:19 pm »
Nice Graeme!  Would of loved to see your other new boat this year, did you get it out much since bringing it home from the US?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: October 19, 2016, 08:23:01 pm »
Nice Graeme!  Would of loved to see your other new boat this year, did you get it out much since bringing it home from the US?

I managed to do a quite few day trips and my daughter & I went out for the Labour day weekend. We'll probably do the YC annual cruise (week long) next year. It's in late July and i was away in Ireland when it was on this year.

You, Tom & I will have to get out for an afternoon next year

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: October 19, 2016, 08:29:13 pm »
That's quite the armada you're amassing.

Yep, it seems to be growing of it's own volition

....I seem to remember a thread here where people were adding up how many cylinders they had (cars, bikes, boats, snowmobiles etc etc)  I think I'm now up to 23 in boats alone!  ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #4448 on: October 19, 2016, 08:35:14 pm »

I managed to do a quite few day trips and my daughter & I went out for the Labour day weekend. We'll probably do the YC annual cruise (week long) next year. It's in late July and i was away in Ireland when it was on this year.

You, Tom & I will have to get out for an afternoon next year

Done, I'll bring the beer!

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:16 pm »
Well, duh....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4450 on: October 19, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »
By the way, which bank are you robbing , not to buy the boats but for the maintenance  ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: October 19, 2016, 09:23:49 pm »
I ordered a LG HE top loading laundry pair.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/washing-machines/lg-WT1501CW-washing-machines-lg-wt1501cw-top-load-washer

Am I making a mistake? I like the higher capacity of a top loader and theres less mold issues vs. front loaders. My parents own a LG front loader for years now, with no problems.

I hope not...that's the same one (or very close anyway) we bought to replace our less than 4 yr old Maytag front load (was over $1g new - facking POS).  We chose to go with the LG, it was $100 more than repairing the other one - I was told if the board on it goes it's only $160 vs one of 2 $300 units on the Maytag.  Plus the LG's board is covered in some kind of (word escapes me) epoxy (maybe?) unlike the Mtag which has open circuit boards.  Dust, humidity...all good stuff in a laundry room.  I also like the top load for the very reason it uses more water.  Clothes don't smell, and when it's running the house doesn't smell like a sewer backup...and my wife/I followed the care instructions on the Maytag to a T; wipe the rubber seal, leave the door open...and it smelled like crap every time you used it (after a year or so), even after running those cleaning bars thorough it.  No issues so far with the LG.

We have a new LG set for our house too. Can't speak about longevity as yet but so far they're pretty darn good at cleaning (and doing it really quietly and without any shake, etc. - we have 2F laundry).

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/washing-machines/lg-WT1801HVA-top-load-washer  <-- that one plus the matching dryer. Paid like $1800 for the pair.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: October 19, 2016, 09:28:11 pm »
I ordered a LG HE top loading laundry pair.

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/washing-machines/lg-WT1501CW-washing-machines-lg-wt1501cw-top-load-washer

Am I making a mistake? I like the higher capacity of a top loader and theres less mold issues vs. front loaders. My parents own a LG front loader for years now, with no problems.

I hope not...that's the same one (or very close anyway) we bought to replace our less than 4 yr old Maytag front load (was over $1g new - facking POS).  We chose to go with the LG, it was $100 more than repairing the other one - I was told if the board on it goes it's only $160 vs one of 2 $300 units on the Maytag.  Plus the LG's board is covered in some kind of (word escapes me) epoxy (maybe?) unlike the Mtag which has open circuit boards.  Dust, humidity...all good stuff in a laundry room.  I also like the top load for the very reason it uses more water.  Clothes don't smell, and when it's running the house doesn't smell like a sewer backup...and my wife/I followed the care instructions on the Maytag to a T; wipe the rubber seal, leave the door open...and it smelled like crap every time you used it (after a year or so), even after running those cleaning bars thorough it.  No issues so far with the LG.

We have a new LG set for our house too. Can't speak about longevity as yet but so far they're pretty darn good at cleaning (and doing it really quietly and without any shake, etc. - we have 2F laundry).

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/washing-machines/lg-WT1801HVA-top-load-washer  <-- that one plus the matching dryer. Paid like $1800 for the pair.

Very nice. I have the model below that one, but I also got it at $1800 (tax in). I still have 30 days for price matching.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4453 on: October 20, 2016, 04:47:17 pm »

Awesome!   :cheers: 

Although I must say I'm not surprised.  I figured the sailing itch would need scratching sooner, or later.  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4454 on: October 20, 2016, 08:35:38 pm »
That's enough about tires and washers.  Back to furnaces.

I had my new furnace and thermostat installed yesterday. 

New furnaces are brilliant.  The new one is about half the size of the old one, and significantly quieter.  I couldn't run the fan on my old furnace all the time because A) it was too loud and B) it used too much power to be economical.  The blower on that old furnace was either on or off, just one speed.  It also wasn't very powerful.  The air coming from the vents was akin to a mouse coughing (although one thing I will say about that furnace is that the air it blew was HOT).  The new furnace has five different fan speed settings (at least for circulating air).  At the lowest setting, the furnace is inaudible, and you can't hear the air coming out of the vents.  Perfect.  I can let this furnace circulate air 100% of the time now, meaning the basement will be more comfortable for my mother-in-law tenant. (previously the basement was always a few degrees cooler than the main level, but no more!!!)

When the thermostat calls for a heating cycle, the burners kick on completely inaudibly, then the fan speed slowly ramps up to the required speed called for by the thermostat. 

Not only does the thermostat communicate to the furnace, but the furnace talks back, too (this is the main feature of communicating thermostats).  The thermostat will not only remember how long it took to heat the house (most thermostats do this), but the furnace will also tell the thermostat what speed it is running at.  The next time the thermostat calls up a heating or cooling cycle, it will factor in furnace speed and duration in order to most efficiently heat or cool the house.

So anyways, I'm a damn sight happier with my new furnace, and hope that it gives me many years of comfortable, trouble-free operation.

Brother of a friend recently got into the furnace/HVAC business.   Said they told him that they don't build furnaces like they used to as they lasted too long and not enough repeat customers.  Now they build them to fail once the warranty runs out.
YMMV
Mr Pickypants

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4455 on: October 21, 2016, 10:15:43 am »
That's enough about tires and washers.  Back to furnaces.

I had my new furnace and thermostat installed yesterday. 

New furnaces are brilliant.  The new one is about half the size of the old one, and significantly quieter.  I couldn't run the fan on my old furnace all the time because A) it was too loud and B) it used too much power to be economical.  The blower on that old furnace was either on or off, just one speed.  It also wasn't very powerful.  The air coming from the vents was akin to a mouse coughing (although one thing I will say about that furnace is that the air it blew was HOT).  The new furnace has five different fan speed settings (at least for circulating air).  At the lowest setting, the furnace is inaudible, and you can't hear the air coming out of the vents.  Perfect.  I can let this furnace circulate air 100% of the time now, meaning the basement will be more comfortable for my mother-in-law tenant. (previously the basement was always a few degrees cooler than the main level, but no more!!!)

When the thermostat calls for a heating cycle, the burners kick on completely inaudibly, then the fan speed slowly ramps up to the required speed called for by the thermostat. 

Not only does the thermostat communicate to the furnace, but the furnace talks back, too (this is the main feature of communicating thermostats).  The thermostat will not only remember how long it took to heat the house (most thermostats do this), but the furnace will also tell the thermostat what speed it is running at.  The next time the thermostat calls up a heating or cooling cycle, it will factor in furnace speed and duration in order to most efficiently heat or cool the house.

So anyways, I'm a damn sight happier with my new furnace, and hope that it gives me many years of comfortable, trouble-free operation.

Brother of a friend recently got into the furnace/HVAC business.   Said they told him that they don't build furnaces like they used to as they lasted too long and not enough repeat customers.  Now they build them to fail once the warranty runs out.
YMMV

I will say one thing about my old Natural draft furnace.  It was a workhorse that just kept on ticking.  35 years old and still going strong. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4456 on: October 21, 2016, 10:49:28 am »
YMMV

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:16 am »
YMMV

Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Until you start replacing hot water tanks every 6 years and 2 months...or your furnace bites it 8 yrs in.  Time will tell.  Maybe it should be treated like a lease, you move in, keep up with the maintenance and repairs, then sell and buy a newer house before :censor: goes south. Next person moves in and starts the whole cycle again, not knowing it was just done, 6 years ago.   

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4458 on: October 21, 2016, 12:32:22 pm »
Most hot water tanks around here are rented from the power company anyways. Maybe they should do the same with furnaces.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4459 on: October 21, 2016, 12:45:00 pm »

I used to  float boats as a kid on the wee ponds that were everywhere in Scottish beachside towns and still love the idea...(Grandpa on dad's side was a sea cap'n) but my only real sailing(other than sitting aboard Yachts I canna afford) is on a 2 day lake course where my 2 person "boat" won the final day race...NY TIMES had it on the front page :rofl2:  but I beat my boss
so I retired (RE-Tyred!) undefeated....
 Enjoy your floating on the Ocean..."Waves  from a distance :hello: "
Time is to stop everything happening at once