Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S  (Read 15766 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:03:42 am »

'Brazenly priced, obscenely fast, shockingly agile, and exquisitely built,' the Panamera Turbo S ''defies comparison,' says Peter Bleakney.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:17 am »
Makes for a good "N" new driver car on the "Wet Coast"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/5844335804/

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:53 am »
That's a lot of $$ to pay for such an ugly car. Why not an Aston Martin or MB. All of which are light years better looking cars.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:01:21 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:00:53 am »

That's a lot of $$ to pay for such an ugly car. Why not an Aston Martin or Lotus Evora. All of which are light years better looking cars.
I agree that it's a boat load of money for a car most people find ugly.  But to answer your question it's the best 4 door car ever made with the best balance of sport and luxury.  The Aston Martin can't touch this and the Lotus Evora is a joke to this car.  That being said if I was going to buy a very fast 4 door car and wanted a lot of performance I think I would wait for the Audi S8, which I'm sure is also a lot of money but probably still over $50,000 cheaper than this car.  Oh and it looks a lot better.

nick_nick

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:05:39 am »
Conversation with a Porsche Panamera prior to an evening out:

Panamera: “Does my butt look big in this outfit?”

Guy: “Oh, no dear, you look wonderful in that dress” … thinking …”that a$$ is huge, I am going to feel so embarrassed when everyone sees me pull up to the valets with this thing.”

Panamera: “I know you’re lying. Tell me the truth, does my but look big?”

Guy: Thinking to himself “This car is just like the moped I had when I was a kid; fun to ride, I just didn’t want my friends to see me when I drove it.”

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:02 am »
If I had the money for this model of car I would take a Maserati Quattroporte

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:27:24 am »
I've seen a ton of these on the streets when in Europe.  Call me crazy, but I really like it.  It doesn't have the sexiness of an Aston, but I find it's got a very cool presence on the street.  I certainly wouldn't kick it out of my driveway, that's for sure. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:28:33 am »
Guess I am in the minority here, but I just love it.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:53 am »
If I had the money for this model of car I would take a Maserati Quattroporte
:iagree:  That thing has a fanstastic sound!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:12 am »
The advantage to this car over the others mentioned, slap on a set of winter rubber and you are good all year round in Canada. 

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:39 am »
If I had the money for this model of car I'd buy a older air cooled 911 or, if I could find one, a perfect condition 928S
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 10:46:11 am »
I've seen a ton of these on the streets when in Europe.  Call me crazy, but I really like it.  It doesn't have the sexiness of an Aston, but I find it's got a very cool presence on the street.  I certainly wouldn't kick it out of my driveway, that's for sure. 

You're not alone - though very nearly so.  :)  I really like it too.  I'm not sure I would buy it if I had the money - I haven't driven it or its pricey competitors - but I know it would be in the running.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »
Conversation with a Porsche Panamera prior to an evening out:

Panamera: “Does my butt look big in this outfit?”

Guy: “Oh, no dear, you look wonderful in that dress” … thinking …”that a$$ is huge, I am going to feel so embarrassed when everyone sees me pull up to the valets with this thing.”

Panamera: “I know you’re lying. Tell me the truth, does my but look big?”

Guy: Thinking to himself “This car is just like the moped I had when I was a kid; fun to ride, I just didn’t want my friends to see me when I drove it.”

Could not have but it better, funny analogy.

Ya, I had one of those GF in high school, good performer but not the best looking so kept on the low.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Which explains why I see some couples as ask "what were you thinking"

Built like a German fraulein I guess, as for myself I prefer better proportions of a car ie. Aston Martin & Audi S8 for starters. I'd gladly give up some top speed and 0-60 for beauty.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:22:59 pm by redman »

nsmyhte

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:51 pm »

That's a lot of $$ to pay for such an ugly car. Why not an Aston Martin or Lotus Evora. All of which are light years better looking cars.
I agree that it's a boat load of money for a car most people find ugly.  But to answer your question it's the best 4 door car ever made with the best balance of sport and luxury.  The Aston Martin can't touch this and the Lotus Evora is a joke to this car.  That being said if I was going to buy a very fast 4 door car and wanted a lot of performance I think I would wait for the Audi S8, which I'm sure is also a lot of money but probably still over $50,000 cheaper than this car.  Oh and it looks a lot better.

You need to put less emphasis on looks and image because looks aside, this is probably the best overall car in the world.  I wouldn't care what it looks like on the outside becasue I would just be having too much fun humbling sports car with my hatchback.

It's the ultimate sleeper.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:51 pm »

You need to put less emphasis on looks and image because looks aside, this is probably the best overall car in the world.  I wouldn't care what it looks like on the outside becasue I would just be having too much fun humbling sports car with my hatchback.

It's the ultimate sleeper.

??? You lost me with a Porsche is a sleeper.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 02:07:03 pm »
Couple things from the article:

"100-200 km/h in 9.1 seconds"   Umm,,   Wow.
"unassailable road presence" - certainly can't argue with that.

HGK

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »
I am a thrilled U.S. 2010 Panamera 4S owner with now over 37,000 frequently hard earned miles.  I have to wonder about the sensitive aesthetes who pan Panameras on the looks thing: have any ever walked up to a 356, especially from behind? Did they think "inverted bathtub" -- as applied to the cars that made brand -- was a synonym for beautiful?
Despite reviews which in most cases employ literally extreme, positive adjectives hard to garner just once in a car review let alone in multiples, I still don’t think the actual "car" is sufficiently understood/appreciated somehow. Here, especially in my case, is a practical 4 door sedan/hatch that shames -- in critical function -- many supercars: in Turbo or Turbo S, most fall to its 0-60 mph times (CD tested a "plain" turbo at 3.4: I suspect this one is more like 3.1). My 4S, with no U.S. fuel guzzler tax -- and ultra low emissions, gets 4.4 in 0-60 mph (sport chrono), has a range of 650 miles if I push it (26.4 gal tank); and both stops AND corners doing a reasonable impression of a 911!   The brief on this car was to carry 4 six foot three inch tall adults and their luggage (or 2 bicycles in the folded rear seats!), at 175 mph (190 in turbo S; not that I'd ever....) in comfort, within a strikingly beautiful and technological advanced cabin, and this they've done. The look simply wraps this achievement beautifully -- and isn't that the essence of Porsche?  The car is so aerodynamic I now like to just drive with the windows open and the radio off -- in Florida in the summer.
Put another way; if changing one surface feature would degrade any of the above, forget it -- so a facelift tweaking a few is a tremendous testament to Porsche's authenticity -- rather than caving in to the "but its not pretty enough for me" crowd.   To me, Porsche did something different here, and eschewed the "box with evolving brand cues" approach of most luxury sedans (for years BMWs rears looked like a vacuum sucked their trunk lids into partial collapse).  From the side many of these are difficult to distinguish from a Lexus or one another.  Audi interiors, often touted as "tops," look to me to be stuck in 1990 albeit more refined: mine looks like a next gen Ferrari.   Finally, its stark and substantial presence radiates a positive aura; "thumbs up" from all walks of life: I'm amazed at the comments. I LOVE the way it looks; in fact my heart skips a beat as I approach it, yes, from the rear, wing up: (hold the buns puns please): I can't believe its actually mine to get in and drive, I think it is stunning even if the front end does look a little too familiar -- the way Astons started to about 5 years ago.
Rapide went for beauty and is being panned on practicality: for Porsche the choice was both easy, and the correct one for Porsche! By coincidence I saw a white Rapide in a dealer window this AM: felt no pangs at all.
I stretched my budget to get it, and no earthly possession comes close to giving me as much satisfaction (although my 2004 XJR, my first big stretch which I also never regretted, came pretty close in its day). 
Hump that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:24:59 am by HGK »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 02:53:44 pm »
"I LOVE the way it looks; in fact my heart skips a beat as I approach it, yes, from the rear, wing up: (hold the buns puns please): I can't believe its actually mine to get in and drive"

That's what it's all about!!!   :thumbup:

And Welcome!!!  Dont't forget pics in Show n Shine!!!

BlackPrince

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 03:47:33 pm »
Guy in FLA w/ the Panamera. Do you ACTUALLY use the performance? Probably not mate. The MB S63 AMG is a lot better looking, almost as quick, more roomy blah blah not to mention cheaper. And better fit and finish.

And WTF is comparing the Lotus Evora w/ this car? Firstly the Evora has TWO seats and this has 4, not to mention the same number of doors as well.

Imo this car is for 60 yr old lawyers and bankers w/ small penis issues, lets be honest now. But hey as long as you lot keep overpaying for these types of cars, Porsche has more development money for the likes of the Cayman R and the GT3 RS to keep us proper enthusiasts happy :)

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:51:02 pm »
I'm happy for Peter Bleakney. This was a pretty great opportunity to experience something very unique. Sometimes I really envy Automotive Journalists. This car sounds top notch in a myriad of ways. Still, 200k is a truck load of money, and I don't think I'd be comfortable spending that much on a car even if I could. The price killed my enthusiasm too quickly for me to actually appreciate the Panamera Turbo S for what it is.